Written answers from Tynwald this month show an annual IOMG media spend approaching £1m per annum

The figures presumably exclude direct subsidy of the national broadcaster

appendix1mediaspenda.png

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the current circumstances, really? I have not seen my mother, who is in a nursing home, for over 2 months, I get that and comply. I could not take my friend, who cannot drive, shopping  e

I am delighted to announce that I will be returning to Manx Radio’s Late Show on Wednesday 1st July. This follows a three week suspension after complaints were lodged against me for comments made

Information Notice.pdf Not sure if the PDF link will work, but this is the official word. To everyone on here who has supported me, thank you sincerely. To my many detractors, have a nice day.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Written answers from Tynwald this month show an annual IOMG media spend approaching £1m per annum

The figures presumably exclude direct subsidy of the national broadcaster

These figures were read out further to an email from listener Eric on Stu Peters' Late Show to make a point. But they don't paint the true picture.

It states in the answer:

"It should be noted that these figures exclude Manx Radio subvention payments and any Manx Radio Minor Capital Works expenditure."

Edited by Barlow

IIRC, the spend with IoM Newspapers is far, far less than it was 10+ years ago. It used to be close on £500k pa with the newspapers alone. There used to be whole pages of Govt. Notices and Govt. job adverts at that time in all three weekly papers, it was Govt's main means of communication with the masses.

The spend was reduced as part of the "savings" following VAT reduction. Some would say that following the cutback, IoM Newspaper's journalists became a little more critical of Govt. too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Twitch said:

Most of the costs would appear to be public notices in IOM Newspapers publications. 

Is this really necessary now that we're about 25 years into the internet age?

It's often difficult enough to find online info on gov.im when you know where to look, so I suspect a lot of people still get the information straight from the paper.  And like most people who are Very Online (or you wouldn't be here), you may overestimate how much many of the people use their internet access.

1 hour ago, Twitch said:

Most of the costs would appear to be public notices in IOM Newspapers publications. 

Is this really necessary now that we're about 25 years into the internet age?

I think there's a legal requirement for government notices to be published in the press? I can't see that changing much very soon.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I think there's a legal requirement for government notices to be published in the press? I can't see that changing much very soon.

You are right, they are often a part of a legal process.   But often the cost is included in the government fee to whoever require the process, so it would be useful to know if those figures are net after the fee charged or gross.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gladys said:

You are right, they are often a part of a legal process.   But often the cost is included in the government fee to whoever require the process, so it would be useful to know if those figures are net after the fee charged or gross.

Yes, and I don't think there would be much change from a grand for some of those full page ads, that's if they get a discount? When you look at the front cover 4 page jobs in the Courier it's easy to see how it stacks up.

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

We go back to posters around the island and town criers? 

Jebus, you've found a use for Ramsey Courthouse.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1