Jump to content

Manx Radio


Desperate Dan
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Because Remembrance doesn't make me feel Scottish, Welsh or Irish. You really do have a chip on your shoulder old bean.

Never sure when you are trolling or being obtuse. I would make the same comments to anybody who said Remembrance made them feel Scottish, Welsh, or Irish and I expect that if anybody posted that Remembrance or the Red Arrows made them feels Scottish, Welsh etc you would be one of the first ridicule. To me it appears crass to equate a day which, in GB, is a day to remember the fallen across the whole of GB etc as being in respect of a particular country which is how your post came across. That does not not meaning not being proud that people from a particular country, area, town or village served just have respect for what Remembrance Day is and all who served. 

Maybe also try and find something English to feel patriotically English about rather than something appropriate British.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be fair, Lost Login, elderly English people were brought up to conflate Englishness with Britishness and use the words interchangeably. That's all Stu did. You can't expect someone who's only been living and broadcasting in the Isle of Man for 25 years to have got to grips with details like the other nations of these isles aren't funny Englanders. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Lost Loginhas never been quite the same since jacking in Manx Forums after getting ganged up on during the early days of the pandemic/lockdown days. To be fair, it wasn't a flounce or anything like that, more an "I've had enough, I'm off- see ya".

I can't remember what it was about but he stood his ground quite admirably (even though he was total wrong).

 

  

14 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Said Voirrey Costain, never

( made up Manx name. In case there is a real Voirrey Costain reading this)

You should be ok. According to Manx BMD there is only one Voirrey Costain, born 1936 (Peel, just to complete the stereotype). She married in 1956 and name was changed (Reid).

Edited by Barlow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Declan said:

To be fair, Lost Login, elderly English people were brought up to conflate Englishness with Britishness and use the words interchangeably. That's all Stu did. You can't expect someone who's only been living and broadcasting in the Isle of Man for 25 years to have got to grips with details like the other nations of these isles aren't funny Englanders. 

SP comes across to me as reasonably well meaning but rooted in the past. He got a bit upset when in the election thread he was accused of being a bigot and racist. Understandably, as most people would not like to be thought of in that manner and I am sure that SP genuinely believes he is not. However I expect, and it comes across in his posts and on the radio. that his definition of what racism is fairly old and it is no longer the classical definition of disliking another person due to the colour of their skin. I am not saying that SP is on a par with the Alf Garnett character or the likes of Bernard Manning who would not have thought themselves as racist but I just think he lags a bit behind the times in his understanding of issues at present.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

SP comes across to me as reasonably well meaning but rooted in the past. He got a bit upset when in the election thread he was accused of being a bigot and racist. Understandably, as most people would not like to be thought of in that manner and I am sure that SP genuinely believes he is not. However I expect, and it comes across in his posts and on the radio. that his definition of what racism is fairly old and it is no longer the classical definition of disliking another person due to the colour of their skin. I am not saying that SP is on a par with the Alf Garnett character or the likes of Bernard Manning who would not have thought themselves as racist but I just think he lags a bit behind the times in his understanding of issues at present.

 

 

How about instead of flinging claims around you provide us now, with the solid evidence of all the awful things he's said?

I'm not saying he's NOT said anything a bit iffy in the past but can we just take a minute or two and think about whether or not he has been genuinely OFFENSIVE and offended, discriminated or ever antagonised against any racial or ethnic minorities? 

You're probably one of those types that will firmly attest to the whole everything must be perfectly politically correct agenda and we're not allowed to say anything, by any stretch of the imagination, which MAY upset somebody because they're of a different origin. 

You're probably the type to proclaim "OH! That's Racist!!" all the time, but would still happily call somebody a "Ginger bastard!" in an argument and not think twice about it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Barlow said:

@Lost Loginhas never been quite the same since jacking in Manx Forums after getting ganged up on during the early days of the pandemic/lockdown days. To be fair, it wasn't a flounce or anything like that, more an "I've had enough, I'm off- see ya".

I can't remember what it was about but he stood his grand quite admirably (even though he was total wrong).

 

I cannot either now but I think at the time my opinion was that we should be making a lot more effort to protect the vulnerable and the elderly so that the rest could live a more normal life. At the time I thought that was a reasonable argument as it was being presented that Covid 19 generally effected the elderly and the vulnerable. Probably I also was of the view that as with illnesses' s like flu we accepted a there will be a small number of severe cases rather than aim for zero which is not consistent with what we do with other illnesses. We do not close the borders when there is a severe strain of flu which could impact the elderly. 

Others disagreed which is fair enough, but it is the level of abuse you get from certain posters if you hold a difference of opinion. Over the years the forum has gone down hill as the level of abuse that is dished out when somebody has a difference of opinion seems to have gone through the roof. Similarly there are posters who are abusive about certain politicians etc and do not appear to be able to refer to them in anything but a derogatory manner then lay into somebody who dares be impolite about.

At the time I believed my argument was reasonable based on what was known although I accepted that there was a valid argument for a different course of action. Based on what they were saying at the time I was not particularly concerned about my health if I caught Covid 19 as I was outside of the risk categories and new a fair few who were not in the risk categories who had Covid 19 and were fine or had not passed it on to people they lived with. In hindsight I have admitted I got it wrong as Covid, and especially later variants affected far more people outside what were seen the risk groups than initially appeared the position. In spring 2020 I would have happily travelled to the UK and not particularly been concerned about catching Covid 19. By the end of that years I would not have wanted to risk catching by travelling until I was vaccinated. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I cannot either now but I think at the time my opinion was that we should be making a lot more effort to protect the vulnerable and the elderly so that the rest could live a more normal life. At the time I thought that was a reasonable argument as it was being presented that Covid 19 generally effected the elderly and the vulnerable. Probably I also was of the view that as with illnesses' s like flu we accepted a there will be a small number of severe cases rather than aim for zero which is not consistent with what we do with other illnesses. We do not close the borders when there is a severe strain of flu which could impact the elderly. 

Others disagreed which is fair enough, but it is the level of abuse you get from certain posters if you hold a difference of opinion. Over the years the forum has gone down hill as the level of abuse that is dished out when somebody has a difference of opinion seems to have gone through the roof. Similarly there are posters who are abusive about certain politicians etc and do not appear to be able to refer to them in anything but a derogatory manner then lay into somebody who dares be impolite about.

At the time I believed my argument was reasonable based on what was known although I accepted that there was a valid argument for a different course of action. Based on what they were saying at the time I was not particularly concerned about my health if I caught Covid 19 as I was outside of the risk categories and new a fair few who were not in the risk categories who had Covid 19 and were fine or had not passed it on to people they lived with. In hindsight I have admitted I got it wrong as Covid, and especially later variants affected far more people outside what were seen the risk groups than initially appeared the position. In spring 2020 I would have happily travelled to the UK and not particularly been concerned about catching Covid 19. By the end of that years I would not have wanted to risk catching by travelling until I was vaccinated. 

This tells me that you have your head switched on and you operate with integrity.

To be able to hold your own and justify, rationally, and respectfully, why your decision-making seemed to be right at the time amidst a set of circumstances really is a trait that is seldom found in people these days. 

Fair play. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Darkness Incarnate said:

How about instead of flinging claims around you provide us now, with the solid evidence of all the awful things he's said?

I'm not saying he's NOT said anything a bit iffy in the past but can we just take a minute or two and think about whether or not he has been genuinely OFFENSIVE and offended, discriminated or ever antagonised against any racial or ethnic minorities? 

You're probably one of those types that will firmly attest to the whole everything must be perfectly politically correct agenda and we're not allowed to say anything, by any stretch of the imagination, which MAY upset somebody because they're of a different origin. 

You're probably the type to proclaim "OH! That's Racist!!" all the time, but would still happily call somebody a "Ginger bastard!" in an argument and not think twice about it. 

When he was suspended from Manx Radio. I listened to the broadcast and his subsequence utterings. It would not be classically racist in that you simply dislike the views of anybody else with a different skin colour but he came across to me as clearly prejudiced and simply prepared to disregard the views of one side and accept the opinions of the other with little challenge. I agree there were one or two on the opposite side who were dicks. 

   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

When he was suspended from Manx Radio. I listened to the broadcast and his subsequence utterings. It would not be classically racist in that you simply dislike the views of anybody else with a different skin colour but he came across to me as clearly prejudiced and simply prepared to disregard the views of one side and accept the opinions of the other with little challenge. I agree there were one or two on the opposite side who were dicks. 

   

Understandable, but unless my memory fails me was he not cleared of any wrongdoing by the independent regulator? 

Seems like the woke patrol just kicked up a bit off a fuss because he's an older white gentlemen and that's the kind they target. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Darkness Incarnate said:

Understandable, but unless my memory fails me was he not cleared of any wrongdoing by the independent regulator? 

Seems like the woke patrol just kicked up a bit off a fuss because he's an older white gentlemen and that's the kind they target. 

He was cleared but I presume the question was whether he broke a regulatory code. Based on views expressed by various broadcasters who are at both extremes there is a considerable amount of freedom as to what is allowable.  Nigel Farage is viewed by many to be fairly objectionable in his views, far more than SP, but he is a regular broadcaster. 

As Declan says SP is, in my view, a person very much stuck in his generation and has not really evolved as times have changed and never really was suitable as a host of an opinion based programme as he did not, in my view, have the skills for it. I was not in favour of SP being hauled over the coals by Manx Radio for his broadcasting that evening as they put him in the slot and presumably set the brief of the program. If he had been broadcasting on a private radio station then some people might have been unhappy with what was broadcaster but I don't think it would been a big issue. Presenting on what is meant to be an independent national radio station then, in my view, you are held to a higher count.

Many on here don't like Andy Wint but, in my view, he is or was generally far better at trying to balance a programme and put alternative views against both sides of an argument. SP was more than happy to agree with a caller just because he supported their view, whether it held any validity, rather than put a counter point. I am not sure that "i agree with that" really has much place in the vocabulary of the presenter in an opinion based show. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

He was cleared but I presume the question was whether he broke a regulatory code. Based on views expressed by various broadcasters who are at both extremes there is a considerable amount of freedom as to what is allowable.  Nigel Farage is viewed by many to be fairly objectionable in his views, far more than SP, but he is a regular broadcaster. 

As Declan says SP is, in my view, a person very much stuck in his generation and has not really evolved as times have changed and never really was suitable as a host of an opinion based programme as he did not, in my view, have the skills for it. I was not in favour of SP being hauled over the coals by Manx Radio for his broadcasting that evening as they put him in the slot and presumably set the brief of the program. If he had been broadcasting on a private radio station then some people might have been unhappy with what was broadcaster but I don't think it would been a big issue. Presenting on what is meant to be an independent national radio station then, in my view, you are held to a higher count.

Many on here don't like Andy Wint but, in my view, he is or was generally far better at trying to balance a programme and put alternative views against both sides of an argument. SP was more than happy to agree with a caller just because he supported their view, whether it held any validity, rather than put a counter point. I am not sure that "i agree with that" really has much place in the vocabulary of the presenter in an opinion based show. 

Wint is an egotistical prat. I never listen to him now.

Stu was a far better presenter on Talking Heads.  All my Manx Radio listening friends are of the same opinion.  Yes we are oldies!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...