Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
MrsTrellisfromNorthWales

Broadcasting House

It going to do something about the TT.

Radio 4.

You could always go to the 'avoid the TT ball' where I believe Mr and Mrs Bennett-That's-Noisy will be taking their son Gordon.

Incidentally, for those that don't know, motor racing first came to the Isle of Man in 1904 when the Gordon Bennett car trials were held.

wasnt there some sort of racing at St Johns many years ago..ive seen it on the plaque at the restuarant.

Yes. See http://www.mcb.net/ttraces/

Motorcycle road racing first came to the Isle of Man in 1907 when the first TT races where held on the Short Course. This was a triangular course with the start at St John's. The riders proceeded along the course to Ballacraine before turning left and following the current TT course through to Kirk Michael. At Douglas Road Corner in Kirk Michael, the Short Course left the current TT course and followed the coast road to Peel, before turning left again and heading back to St John's.

You could always go to the 'avoid the TT ball' where I believe Mr and Mrs Bennett-That's-Noisy will be taking their son Gordon.

Also attending the free bash will be Mr & Mrs Sterroffun and their daughter, Mini, accompanied by Mr & Mrs Scottidge with their daughter, Sarah.

:unsure: Sorry

...and of course Mr and Mrs Bends and their daughter Laurel, who will be sat next to Glen and Helen. Plus Mr and Mrs Hall and their daughter Ginger.

Edited by Albert Tatlock

BBC Broadcasting House article on the TT

Sunday 28th May 2006

20060528BroadcastingHouseTT.mp3

The BBC has more or less gone for a 50/50 type balance in its reporting, even if the actual balance is more like 90/10 or even 95/5.

I wasn't aware that there were "quite a few people who don't leave their homes" door during TT, although I don't doubt it.

Edited to add that I have just listened to it again. It is not 50/50 balanced reporting. An average BBC Radio 4 listener would feel quite traumatised after hearing this report early on a Sunday morning.

Edited by Upstream

BBC Broadcasting House article on the TT

Sunday 28th May 2006

20060528BroadcastingHouseTT.mp3

Thanks for that. Interesting.

Anyone know which accident on the mountain Judy Arnold was referring to? Was it the collision of a bike and a van in 2003?

Not 50/50 but then Broadcasting House was never known for it's impartiality, was it? Bring back Eddie Mair.

I take it that Judy Arnold doesn't accept enquiries for the TT period?

Interesting press release from the DOT, including the mountain road being one-way for 45 mins after racing:

"Following the Thursday practice and all other practices and races, the Mountain Road between Ramsey Hairpin and Cronk-ny-Mona will be one way in the direction of the course for a period of up to 45minutes after the roads open car gets back to St Ninians. The start of this period will be indicated by a car displaying “Roads open one way” signs.

Following the one way period, the road will then close to allow for the safe collection/recovery of the one way signs. A Police Car displaying ‘Roads Open Two Way” signs will travel from Ramsey Hairpin to Cronk-ny Mona reopening the road to two way traffic."

IMHO, the mountain road should be made one way all through TT week (perhaps two way between 7am - 9am and 5pm to 7pm weekdays) and big signs put up saying so. With a presence up there the cops could still flag down any idiots and give them a rollicking – and even take them to the cop shop for a four hour compulsory presentation about safe riding - which IMHO might actually save lives - and not just lives on the island.

A few years ago I had to travel around to exhibitions for the company I worked for and got an HGV licence. I wouldn't dream of going the 'wrong way' on the mountain road during the TT period in a van – never mind a truck. Whether they are doing 60mph or 160mph - riders unfamiliar with the road will invariably cross over the white lines at several points.

I wouldn't dream of going the 'wrong way' on the mountain road during the TT period in a van – never mind a truck.

What difference does it make whether it's a van or a truck? Or a car?