Beware Of Land Scouts?

GD4ELI

(Not an attack on the Irish - but read on)

My Dear Old Mother called me the other day. Apparently some Irishman with the gift of the gab called round in the afternoon saying he liked the Island a lot and was looking for somewhere to settle down and was she going to be moving away soon and what was she going to do with 'that bit of rough land next door'.

That 'bit of rough land' being a reasonable size where planning permission would be quite easy for at least one house.

My immediate thought - a 'Well Known' company building all over the Island sending out land scouts? Has anyone else come across this situation?

The well known company wouldn't go for small plots as it doesn't fit the business model really. It the plot nex to a series of plots which would make a rather useful plot?

Good point - it's a one-off plot next to Mother's house. Add the two together and you could put up a nice des-res for some posh come-overs (not that this would happen).

I think you don't hear about it because those that get approached suddenly realise they are a lot older than they were and see a good wedge of ££££££££££ and a place in the sun (usually Cyprus as I seem to see it).

No scandal there is there !!!!

?

A friend of mine who lives up a very long farm lane had a letter pushed through her letter box from a director of a very well known local company saying that he had been driving past and would she consider selling her house and some land as he was looking for somewhere with land for his ponies.

I normally don't have much good to say about a lot of developers but not all, however, if you don't ask, you don't get. Can't blame anyone for asking, especially the guy with the ponies. He was probably just showing who he was not to try and make it official as such but just so they knew he was a 'real' person not some scammer

Given the cost of houses over here it's probably just someone looking to self build and get a bit more value for money. A developer wouldn't waste their time on a single plot.

Really........... The cost of House Kits is still quite cheap on the Island the problem is the avalibility of land to put then on and as many people know 'Land Banking' is a popular sport on the island,

lets put it in a different light say lots of 'small' parcels of land come on the the market the price of land would come down and with it the prices of the houses on them, so if you were a shrewd bussiness man it would pay to control the amount of land that is avalible to the open market by buying it all therefore keeping the prices of you stock artificially High <_< ,

the Maple style house that is for sale on these new estates in kit form only costs about £40,000 over the counter and i'm sure that HIM doesn't play the full price