Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
lisner

Mr Steve Babb, Prospective Mhk For Onchan

But did we get value for money from our recent chairman at the MEA?. We should perhaps remember some of our "businessmen" and there antics when somebody suggests " we need more businessmen in the Keys" lest we end up with the IOM plc ending up like the MEA.

Well said

Fair enough you have to parade up on a hill and look a right ninny once a year, but for £70k - yeah, I'd do it.

70k?! Not even the UK MPs get that, think more like 30k + 'expenses' (still great salary).

Chief Minister Salary £61,473 plus £5,790 expenses. Total £67,263.

Most members

as Departmental Members Salary £47,812 plus £5,790 expenses. Total £50,186

Not many ninnies earn this!

Most members

What no bonus?

Thats me out of the race!

In our society today we have deemed that everyone who works must achieve competency before starting work proper, so to step onto a building site you must pass a course, to handle other peoples money you must have training etc.

Is it to much to ask that propective public representatives achieve some level of competency/knowledge in political history and process prior to standing for office?. Some night classes could cover topics suitable for potential "leaders". In my own experiance i have been horrified at times of the ignorance of some candidates i have known, some of which have gone on to high office.

I really believe there should be a basic competancy level somewhere.

In our society today we have deemed that everyone who works must achieve competency before starting work proper, so to step onto a building site you must pass a course, to handle other peoples money you must have training etc.

Is it to much to ask that propective public representatives achieve some level of competency/knowledge in political history and process prior to standing for office?. Some night classes could cover topics suitable for potential "leaders". In my own experiance i have been horrified at times of the ignorance of some candidates i have known, some of which have gone on to high office.

Basic? Like basic grammar and spelling?

Like basic grammar and spelling?

You mean 'such as' surely?

Interesting idea Mollag, especially for the ministerial posts.

Basic? Like basic grammar and spelling?

i am so hurt that you commented on my dyslexic fingers :(

i am so hurt that you commented on my dyslexic fingers :(

I can sympathise with that mollag. I sometimes think my fingers span several keys at any one time.

Then I look at the girlies at work ..fingers flying over the keyboard and everything perfectly typed .. makes me feel inadequate.

Still those of us with thick fingers have other talents Im sure. Just a question of finding them

I do like proper grammar and spelling but i resist acting the lay editor cos im really not up to it.

i will admit to annoyance at things like "hotting up" "sourcing" and all those other innapropriate uses of nouns as verbs. If anyone agrees, then we can do lunch!

GOM alert :angry:

Most members

What no bonus?

Thats me out of the race!

Bonuses - there are consultancy fees etc for some I am informed.

Mr Babb gave a not too bad account of himslf on Talking Heads with Dan Davies on Manx Radio today!

One gripe though - an Isle of Man appointed Ombudsman would be of little use as it is essential that such a position is absolutely impartial. We have enough problems with the judiciary and their pals and ex-colleagues in Athol Street who are desperate to keep the lid firmly down at the moment. It is essential that such a position is Crown appointed.

Back on thread regarding Chief Minister. I'm not sure if Steve Babb said the CM should be popularly elected by MHKs or by the people.

My own thoughts are that there needs to be a mechanism for the CM to be popularly elected by the people. In a non Party Political system the current system is not democratic and borders on the autocratic.

Edited by lard

Mr Babb gave a not too bad account of himslf on Talking Heads with Dan Davies on Manx Radio today!

One gripe though - an Isle of Man appointed Ombudsman would be of little use as it is essential that such a position is absolutely impartial. We have enough problems with the judiciary and their pals and ex-colleagues in Athol Street who are desperate to keep the lid firmly down at the moment. It is essential that such a position is Crown appointed.

Back on thread regarding Chief Minister. I'm not sure if Steve Babb said the CM should be popularly elected by MHKs or by the people.

My own thoughts are that there needs to be a mechanism for the CM to be popularly elected by the people. In a non Party Political system the current system is not democratic and borders on the autocratic.

Thanks for that lard, always nice to hear I didn't make a complete prat of myself.

To clarify on the CM issue, I asked why we don't consider a nationally elected CM, by the people not the MHKs. I'm getting over a cold at the minute though so I was probably a bit nasal.

Just one question regards the Obudsman, whilst I agree neutrality and impartiality are essential, who do you think the people chosen to be on a Crown Appointed Ombudsman would be? To my mind, it is a Manx Government, and we need to show we can govern ourselves. That's not to say we can't include QC's etc where applicable though.

From the comments on this Forum it looks like Mr Babb could be in the frame in Onchan.