...got asked for a pound this morning by a man outside Pickwicks by the

Bus Station. Not change for a pound but "can I have a pound ?"

I was quite taken aback to be honest and said no (I din't have change on me but wouldn't have anyway). He was still there trying it on after I left Harry's Cafe. He wasn't even particularly scruffy either.

Yet another UK annoyance of mine hits our shores...

...GOMH*...

...PS I buy the "Big Issue" regularly across. Well as long as it ain't blatantly for a bag of brown...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think you will find that generally, people selling the Big Issue are clean and tryin to sort their life out - thats what the Big Issue people stipulate before you can sell it and they are regularly checked. There may be the odd one or two that maybe arnt as "clean" as they say, but most of the sellers are tryin to get back into mainstream life.

How many big issue sellers do you see with their gobs hangin open and eyes shut comatosed on the pavement, none - usually they are lively and you can have a chat with them when you buy their supurb mag.

PS: access - why would you have "run ins" with big issue sellers???

Edited to note that when I say clean i mean drugs wise!

Edited by Tea&Biscuits

When I first moved to Manchester I was quite shocked to find people begging, so used to give them a few pennies.

Within a week I was given the same bullshit sob-story twice from the same person at the same bus stop, so I stopped. Even got attacked by one guy for not giving him money.

The clever ones used hang out outside nightclubs to target E'd up clubbers, and make a killing.

I do hate that though when people are aggressive beggers. LIke when you go Brixton, people scream at your face for money/ciggy/whatever!!! Its very intimidating. Also dont like when people sit at cash points and ask you for money when you ahve just blatently took money out and makes you look like a liar when you say you havent got any.

Find it hard sometimes also when people come on the tube an start their speech about how they are looking for a hostel tonight and would we be generous an help them out (often i have noticed these people have very well spoken voices) Another one is the the women, who i think are romanian who come righ in your face pleaing "please please please" I just cant take it, i usually cave in.

You see some right sights in London though, ive seen tramps asleep in wheelie bins, a man once with a needle hanging out of his arm, there is a man at London Bridge who has no legs and gets round on a skateboard, you see really old women with all their goods in a trolley, the other week I saw what must have been a girl of 15 with sores all over her face, sniffing an areasol in the sleeve of her coat and her eyes all rollin in her head, there is also this guy near wher i live who has his leg amputated and its just rotting flesh and you dont want to get down wind of him. I regularly see this guy eating out of the bins near where i live too. It makes me upset to think that these people must have mental health problems and i do feel sorry for them no matter what they are. We shouldnt have homelessness in a country like the UK should we?

They should all take a leaf from that bloke who walks around Ramsey all day swigging Carling.....shows you can be an alky and yet get a good dose of exercise!! He now even has a handy carrying device around his neck that he keeps his cans in...although I for one will miss the cans stuffed in every pocket he had.

Think you'll find that the guy from Ramsey is actually swigging water out of his stella can and not beer

Mikey drinking water? No chance!

I'll second that one. Can't see Mikey drinking water!! :D

You see some right sights in London though, ive seen tramps asleep in wheelie bins, a man once with a needle hanging out of his arm, there is a man at London Bridge who has no legs and gets round on a skateboard, you see really old women with all their goods in a trolley, the other week I saw what must have been a girl of 15 with sores all over her face, sniffing an areasol in the sleeve of her coat and her eyes all rollin in her head, there is also this guy near wher i live who has his leg amputated and its just rotting flesh and you dont want to get down wind of him. I regularly see this guy eating out of the bins near where i live too. It makes me upset to think that these people must have mental health problems and i do feel sorry for them no matter what they are. We shouldnt have homelessness in a country like the UK should we?

I too found it a culture shock when I moved to London..... couldn't get over how heartless my then partner was at the time (he was then a copper with a typical London atitiude)... but I soon toughened up.

Here where I now live in Lancs......I always bought a copy of the big issue and my daughter (19) has followed suit.. she still buys it every week, I am now a bit more cautious, our local Big Issue seller was a nice happy go lucky guy who always had time for a chat, and one day about 12 months back I was gobsmacked at the headline on our loacl paper complete with photo... it was him.... he had just been banged up for brain shaking and using other acts of physical violence against his new born baby..... the paper stated that he was still on heroin... the doctor at the court hearing said the baby was now permantly brain damaged.

Now I think twice before I buy a copy.

He wasn't even particularly scruffy either.

When I was in London recently I saw a scruffy bloke leaning against a shop window reading a newspaper.

City type bloke walked past, then backtracked a few paces and offered him some money.

Scruffy bloke looks horrified and somewhat affronted, city bloke insists he take the money, scruffy bloke says no again and then walks off, probably to take a long look at himself at home and have a bath and wear better clothes in future.

A few weeks ago, I was walking from the Promenade towards Strand Street, and just next to Clintons I saw some one come round the corner carrying a guitar. I thought I was seeing things.

I tried not to look at him but he came straight over to me and asked me for any spare change. I think he strummed the guitar but I don't think he knew any chords, and most of the front of the guitar was missing.

I didn't give him any money, I felt a bit shocked as it was the first time I had seen a beggar on the IOM.

I buy the Big Issue, also my partner and I usually buy the seller some grub. He doesnt like ham sandwiches, he loves Bounty bars and drinks diet fanta or sprite.

Michael is a nice man and wrote us a christmas card, he just likes people to yap to.

Its easy to judge people and say well they are homeless its their fault etc etc but i dont believe its always the case from some of the stories people have told us. And yeah these guys sometimes take a few drinks but it may be the only small pleasure they get.

I know there are cases when some beggers are just chancers and can be rude and violent but dont tar them all with the same brush!