Manx Radio Election Coverage

Amadeus

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So lets hope they don't re elect Mr Singer if he is not elected or if he is and ousts one of sitting memebers that the Keys don't elect that ousted memeber.

After all they will be very recently "rejected" by the people

Mrs Christian was "rejected" by the people and I always believed it wrong that she was elected onto the Legislative Council. I changed my thinking after reading the MLC nomination speach for her, whch explained that she lost her seat when Ayre was made a single seat constituency in 1986 and lost by only a very few votes.

So for Legislative Council, better someone who has received say, a thousand votes by the people (and lost as MHK) rather than someone who has never ever had to face the electorate??

However, there has been a heck of a job trying to elect MLCs over the past few decades with sometimes dozens of ballots needed. Maybe the 3rd out of Bell/Craine/Singer will be an easy option for the new House to elect onto the Legislative Council.

• 2 weeks later...

That was fun last night :)

post-1086-1162950199_thumb.jpg

Not quite as heated as some expected, but still one of the livelier discussions - worth a listen if you get the chance.. Now then, Douglas West tomorrow, I believe.

He is certainly back on the Island, I saw him meandering up Victoria Road the other day.

Maybe there'll be The Headlines Again Special for the election :)

I do hope so - that would be great!

He seems to be working in the background at MR - spoke to him on the phone the other day arranging interviews.

So far, the evening debates (6-7pm) have been pretty good.

They're definitely best when David Callister's in charge - even if some of his gently wicked throw away comments sometimes leave candidates gasping for air! :)

Beth Espey is also pretty good, while Roger Watterson sometimes struggles to keep control (mind you, he did have to cope with the South Douglas mob)

Of the recent ones, I found the debate with Geoff Booth and David Anderson from the Glenfaba constituency quite engrossing. It's one of the few in which the challenger has sounded better informed and far more capable than the sitting member. Hopefully, this could be one of the 'upsets' in this election although rural areas are notoriously resistant to change.

Much the same thing with the Michael constituency one - although, of course, Ron Berry has the advantage of experience when it comes to radio presentation. Even so, he managed to make the sitting candidate sound even older and grumpier than he is. I'm afraid Mr Cannan came across as if he was addressing an open-air public meeting and it really wasn't very impressive.

So far, the evening debates (6-7pm) have been pretty good.

They're definitely best when David Callister's in charge - even if some of his gently wicked throw away comments sometimes leave candidates gasping for air! :)

Beth Espey is also pretty good, while Roger Watterson sometimes struggles to keep control (mind you, he did have to cope with the South Douglas mob)

Of the recent ones, I found the debate with Geoff Booth and David Anderson from the Glenfaba constituency quite engrossing. It's one of the few in which the challenger has sounded better informed and far more capable than the sitting member. Hopefully, this could be one of the 'upsets' in this election although rural areas are notoriously resistant to change.

Much the same thing with the Michael constituency one - although, of course, Ron Berry has the advantage of experience when it comes to radio presentation. Even so, he managed to make the sitting candidate sound even older and grumpier than he is. I'm afraid Mr Cannan came across as if he was addressing an open-air public meeting and it really wasn't very impressive.

it's how they perform for the constituents that matters, not how they come across on radio interviews. ive made my mind up (Douglas S) having spoken to all the candidates. (And we have 4 votes in our house!)

Buttery & Kermode , that should get things going if they get in

It is Geoffrey Boot.

I agree with what you say, I heard it Friday night too.

Boot has some very sound and solid thoughts.

Timmy Smith didn't think so though: Comment on a blog

Has anyone been to any of Mr Boots meetings? I've managed to miss all three! Requisition meeting on Monday, def. going to that. Boot seems to be working very hard, unlike Anderson who's manifesto we only received day before yesterday and, can anyone inform me, has Anderson held any public meetings - I don't think he has, which I'm not surprised about. I have the feeling that he thinks he'll get in without working relying on the farmers. As far as I'm concerned - done nothing in Tynwald, done nothing in the constituency, doesn't reply to letters - time for a change! Boot's got to be considered seriously, never mind the "Lord Boot" nonsense!

Buttery & Kermode , that should get things going if they get in

Anyone who votes for that combination should have their right to vote surgically removed - preferably at the same time as they go for their frontal lobotomy in order to save health service expenses.