I'm In Favour Of Animal Testing.

Animal Testing  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why do the brits insist on attaching the same level of attachment to their animals as they do their children - thinking they have the same emotions and intelligence etc. ? In many cases animals are treated much better than children. The charities that do best here are always animal charities, receiving at least 5 times what goes to childrens charities. That's really f**ked up in my opinion, and we should be ashamed of ourselves for allowing it.

We should be ashamed of ourselves for having compassion towards other species???

I didn't say that. I said as a nation our priorities are disproportionate - with many people putting animals on the same level or even before their own kind.

If half of the money that has been spent on dog food, doggy treats and baskets for Charlie the cat had been donated to the Imperial Cancer Research fund - we may well have already found a cure by now. The pet industry is worth billions a year in the UK alone. e.g. a colleague of mine recently spent £4000 on vets bills and took a week off work trying vainly to save her dog which was about 80 in human years - despite being told by the vet that there was a 1 in 100 chance of the dog recovering. With up to 50,000 pensioners freezing to death every average UK winter, I can think of at least fifty thousand ideas to spend that money more wisely.

Edited by Albert Tatlock
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do the brits insist on attaching the same level of attachment to their animals as they do their children - thinking they have the same emotions and intelligence etc. ? In many cases animals are treated much better than children. The charities that do best here are always animal charities, receiving at least 5 times what goes to childrens charities. That's really f**ked up in my opinion, and we should be ashamed of ourselves for allowing it.

We should be ashamed of ourselves for having compassion towards other species???

I didn't say that. I said as a nation our priorities are disproportionate - with many people putting animals on the same level or even before their own kind.

If half of the money that has been spent on dog food, doggy treats and baskets for Charlie the cat had been donated to the Imperial Cancer Research fund - we may well have already found a cure by now. The pet industry is worth billions a year in the UK alone. e.g. a colleague of mine recently spent £4000 on vets bills and took a week off work trying vainly to save her dog which was about 80 in human years - despite being told by the vet that there was a 1 in 100 chance of the dog recovering. With up to 50,000 pensioners freezing to death every average UK winter, I can think of at least fifty thousand ideas to spend that money more wisely.

She sounds like a very nice lady to me.

If only I'd spent all my earnings wisely over the course of my life. I'd probably have no mortgage now, I'd probably be in a job that I wasn't doing just to pay the bills, I'd probably have contributed much more than I have to charity and made much more of a difference in the world. I'd be self satisfied with my achievements but... by god i wouldn't have had much fun...

I give (not much but at least it's something) to both animal and human charities - more to animal than to human. Why? It's not something I've really noticed or thought about before - I just give to the charities that move me more than others.

I keep trying to write a sentence that explains why this is, but I really can't explain it - it's just one of those gut things I suppose.

So, if there was a charity collecting money in order to fund the keeping of animals to be used in the testing of drugs to find cures for human illnesses - who'd contribute?

If you were to check out this LINK you'll find many charities collecting money to be used investigating and researching the issues connected with experimenting on animals. Nearly all of them seek to reduce use, but most are academic, and national level charities that understand that testing is a necessity and work to the Three Rs, refinement, reduction, and replacement of animals.

I am totally infavour of this approach. It isn't demanding a complete instant ban and death to the animal torturers; its pragmatic, understands the clinical needs, and works within the system to improve welfare techniques.

Going back to the TV Program that sparked this topic. The rat that had its skull opened up etc. It probably went through about as much pain and trauma as a chicken going through an abattoir, and probably far less than a wild rat poisoned by pest control.

People are far far less ethically concerned about abattoirs and rat poison, but in the grand scheme of things isn't increasing our scientific knowledge to reduce the pain and suffering caused by disease are far more ethical pursuit.

To give just one example: killing off rats is one way of stopping plagues, but doing research and discovering a cure for plague is another. Both involve pain to rats, but I feel the later is a far better way forward. But a research scientist is at risk of physical attacks due to their profession, while the man at rentakill is just seen as a bloke with a necessary, but grotty job.