Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
girl89

What Do You Think Of University?

Ad verbatim from the Daily Mail perchance?

Actually, I don't read the gutter press!!

And yet the opinions you have on the matter mirror its opinions so perfectly.

Thank god we have TV and the word of pensioners in pubs to go on, otherwise we'd never get to the truth.

So you are saying that listening to the people and their real life experiences does not reflect real life?

For example, a friend of mine has been overlooked for promotion in the fire brigade in west yorkshire because there are not enough asians at the higher level and they have been told that only asians need apply for the promotion.

A friend of his has moved house (school catchment area) in the same general area because his children were being "forced" to learn indian languages and study islaam when they are not supposed to promote any religion in schools.

These are typical of real life in suburban UK today. The sort of thing that is whitewashed and spun upon by the government.

For example, a friend of mine has been overlooked for promotion in the fire brigade in west yorkshire because there are not enough asians at the higher level and they have been told that only asians need apply for the promotion.

A friend of his has moved house (school catchment area) in the same general area because his children were being "forced" to learn indian languages and study islaam when they are not supposed to promote any religion in schools.

These are typical of real life in suburban UK today. The sort of thing that is whitewashed and spun upon by the government.

God, that is awful. WTF are the UK Government going to do to sort this complete mess out?

The UK does have higher crime than most of Europe, although in most kinds of crime not significantly so, and indeed is lower than some for some serious crimes (murder, rape), and the tax is pretty heavy (although considerably less than most of Europe) compared with the Island, these things aren't in contention.

What is a point of argument is that it's a "hell-hole", or whatever. You don't like the UK, and that's absolutely fine, I can see why you wouldn't. What is genuinely astonishing is that it's simply not good enough for you to have a reasonable opinion, especially given that this occurance is so far and few between - instead you have to mental it up a notch in quest to prove that it's not just a reasonable opinion, but it's the only right one, regardless of what measures another person may be using to inform their opinion. What's worse is that you don't do this by reasoned argument, but by extrapolating one conversation with a bunch of pensioners in a pub and a handful of tatty old anecdotes to apply as an analysis to an entire country. And to what aim? Yet another post that amounts to little but how things were better in the old days and how the crash of moral standards can be directly linked with the decline in popularity of the muttonchop and the stovepipe hat.

It's like watching a more disturbing and bitter version of Last of the Summer Wine, and not even a tin bath rolling down a hill in sight.

Anyone can fizz at the mouth and hurl anecdotal evidence everywhere like a rabid dog with a toy, I've been here for ten years now and I only know of one person in that entire time who's been a victim of crime, compared with about five or six people on the Island who were over a similar time period. Does this mean that the UK is some peaceful idyll where all is sunny and good? No, it means dick all. Nor can it be described as a hell hole just because you have anecdotes to the contrary.

The fact of the matter is that, yes, crime is a bit higher in the UK, big cities especially can be dangerous places where ever you go, but it's hardly Colombia. Those who's primary concern is security are well justified in not liking the thought of living there, as are people who prefer the different pace of life (since these are their priorities), but the rate of crime (or of taxation) in the UK is hardly high enough to counteract the benefits of living there to those who regard them as a higher priority. If you want to go to a good university, for instance, the UK has the highest concentration of highly rated universities, and most of the highest placed universities in Europe, similarly the job market is more varied, and some people just prefer city life.

Seriously, Albert, get in your tin bath, get your mauled pensioner friends round and have a wacky adventure rolling down a hill, it'll take your mind off things no end.

The UK does have higher crime than most of Europe, although in most kinds of crime not significantly so, and indeed is lower than some for some serious crimes (murder, rape), and the tax is pretty heavy (although considerably less than most of Europe) compared with the Island, these things aren't in contention.

What is a point of argument is that it's a "hell-hole", or whatever. You don't like the UK, and that's absolutely fine, I can see why you wouldn't. What is genuinely astonishing is that it's simply not good enough for you to have a reasonable opinion, especially given that this occurance is so far and few between - instead you have to mental it up a notch in quest to prove that it's not just a reasonable opinion, but it's the only right one, regardless of what measures another person may be using to inform their opinion. What's worse is that you don't do this by reasoned argument, but by extrapolating one conversation with a bunch of pensioners in a pub and a handful of tatty old anecdotes to apply as an analysis to an entire country. And to what aim? Yet another post that amounts to little but how things were better in the old days and how the crash of moral standards can be directly linked with the decline in popularity of the muttonchop and the stovepipe hat.

It's like watching a more disturbing and bitter version of Last of the Summer Wine, and not even a tin bath rolling down a hill in sight.

Anyone can fizz at the mouth and hurl anecdotal evidence everywhere like a rabid dog with a toy, I've been here for ten years now and I only know of one person in that entire time who's been a victim of crime, compared with about five or six people on the Island who were over a similar time period. Does this mean that the UK is some peaceful idyll where all is sunny and good? No, it means dick all. Nor can it be described as a hell hole just because you have anecdotes to the contrary.

The fact of the matter is that, yes, crime is a bit higher in the UK, big cities especially can be dangerous places where ever you go, but it's hardly Colombia. Those who's primary concern is security are well justified in not liking the thought of living there, as are people who prefer the different pace of life (since these are their priorities), but the rate of crime (or of taxation) in the UK is hardly high enough to counteract the benefits of living there to those who regard them as a higher priority. If you want to go to a good university, for instance, the UK has the highest concentration of highly rated universities, and most of the highest placed universities in Europe, similarly the job market is more varied, and some people just prefer city life.

Seriously, Albert, get in your tin bath, get your mauled pensioner friends round and have a wacky adventure rolling down a hill, it'll take your mind off things no end.

Helpful as usual Vinnie.

So you are saying that listening to the people and their real life experiences does not reflect real life?

No, I'm not. I'm saying their real life experiences reflect real life, but only a tiny element of it. You could have half a million people telling you that story and it would at best reflect the experience of less than 1% of the people in the UK.

This is terrible, and I disagree entirely with that fire brigade's policy, but I defy you to find somewhere of a comparable size to the U.K. where there aren't such stories.

Learning an Indian language is hardly a religious issue, but that's beside the point. I learnt about Islam (and Sikhism and Judaism) at Ballakermeen in the 90's. Even if this is still wrong for a school to do, are they really guilty of "promoting" Islam? If they were saying "Islam's great kids, convert today and get a free PSP" then fair enough, but in a country with large indian and muslim minorities, and the economic rise of India, it sounds like a sensible enough policy to at least teach kids about these things. One of the great justifications for being forced to learn French and German at school was the economic reasons given by doing business with the EU, and the desire to diffuse community tensions through teaching those communities' culture isn't a necessarily a bad thing (and is a concern that is more widespread than just in the UK)

See, this is what I have a problem with. The former example of the job application is a serious concern, but it's hardly the "typical real life" in suburban UK. Some places they are worse than others, in some areas I daresay this is typical and it should be dealt with, but it's by no means, and here I'm relying on equally as anecdotal evidence (which is surely just as representative of "real life" as yours is) the standard day in day out reality of the UK and its suburbs. It's easy to find such examples all over the world, I daresay a few people on the Island have been unfairly passed over for promotion or turned down at a job interview, but does this make every place in which they occur a "hell hole"?

VinnieK - TRY THIS:

Enter Pakistan, Afghanistan or Iraq illegally. Never mind immigration quotas, visas, international law, or any of that nonsense.

Once there, demand that the local government provide free medical care and a house for you and your entire extended family.

Demand bilingual nurses and doctors. Demand free bilingual local government forms, bulletins, etc.

Procreate abundantly.

Deflect any criticism of this allegedly irresponsible reproductive behaviour with, "It is a cultural thing; you wouldn't understand."

Keep your British identity strong.

Fly your national flag from your rooftop, or proudly display it in your front window, or on your car bumper.

Speak only English at home and in public, and insist that your children do likewise.

Demand classes on English culture in the Muslim school system.

Demand a local country driver license. This will afford other legal Rights and will go far to legitimise your unauthorised, illegal, presence in Pakistan, Afghanistan or Iraq.

Drive around with no liability insurance and ignore local traffic laws. Insist that local country law enforcement teaches English to all its officers.

Organise protest marches against your host country, inciting violence against non-Brits, non-Christians, and the government that let you in.

Good luck! You'll soon be dead

Because it will never happen in Pakistan, Afghanistan or Iraq, or any other country in the world, only in the UK.

So, if the UK is bad for allowing all those things (conveniently neglecting precisely to what degree they actually occur), then, by the logic of your argument, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq must be pretty high in your list of bestestmost places to live.

I'm loving this idea of the UK as a place where you're only ever five minutes from a massive ghetto full of seething illegal immigrants, where the streets are lit by the light of burning cars and the air is thick with the smell of the fertilizer the family next door are using to make bombs with, it's far more exciting than the reality.

You don't like the UK, and that's fine - I think Germany, for instance, is a bit boring, but you're going to have to face up to the fact that quite a few people do like it for their own reasons, and as much as it may upset your apocalyptic fantasies, most of them aren't doing so out of a lack of experience or some perverse attraction to danger and most aren't going to get knifed by a gang of illegal immigrants and then end up dying in a dirty hospital ward because all the doctors are too busy reading up on the Koran. Some may even, whisper it, enjoy their time there and come to no harm.

No one's saying the UK is better than the Island in absolute terms, just that some people have a better time there, or enjoy better opportunities, just like others find what they're looking for on the Island.

VinnieK - TRY THIS:

Enter Pakistan, Afghanistan or Iraq illegally. Never mind immigration quotas, visas, international law, or any of that nonsense.

Once there, demand that the local government provide free medical care and a house for you and your entire extended family.

Demand bilingual nurses and doctors. Demand free bilingual local government forms, bulletins, etc.

Procreate abundantly.

Deflect any criticism of this allegedly irresponsible reproductive behaviour with, "It is a cultural thing; you wouldn't understand."

Keep your British identity strong.

Fly your national flag from your rooftop, or proudly display it in your front window, or on your car bumper.

Speak only English at home and in public, and insist that your children do likewise.

Demand classes on English culture in the Muslim school system.

Demand a local country driver license. This will afford other legal Rights and will go far to legitimise your unauthorised, illegal, presence in Pakistan, Afghanistan or Iraq.

Drive around with no liability insurance and ignore local traffic laws. Insist that local country law enforcement teaches English to all its officers.

Organise protest marches against your host country, inciting violence against non-Brits, non-Christians, and the government that let you in.

Good luck! You'll soon be dead

Because it will never happen in Pakistan, Afghanistan or Iraq, or any other country in the world, only in the UK.

I refuse to believe you don't read the Daily Mail. If you don't you really should, i think you'd love it!

I am not fond of the UK and have no wish to live there. But that, as others have pointed out, is a matter of personal choice. I prefer the slower pace of life here.

There is no doubt, though, that we are in danger of being brainwashed by the media about many things. A story/rumour begins, is then picked up by the gutter press, serves it's purpose (selling more copies of the rag) and seeps into the slime of urban myth - often to such an extent that it becomes accepted as established fact.

The 'War On Christmas,' for example which has been trumpeted in headlines in so many papers, is dealt with very effectively in THIS GUARDIAN ARTICLE

Like so many other things, it turns out to be a myth that is in urgent need of debunking.

I've lived in the UK for nearly 10 years and I find that my existence here is pretty much the same as it was on the Island, except it's speedier / more convenient to do just about anything (go on hol, go to cinema, go shopping, etc. etc.). Eventually I do plan to move back to the Island, but not out of a horror of what's happening over here, more that I'd like to get back to my roots.

Perhaps I lead a sheltered life here in Oxfordshire, but the description that Tuna Sandwich gives of the UK is so far removed from my reality and that of everyone I know that I just don't understand where he's getting it from. The biggest headline in our local paper (of a decent size town) is generally about hospitals closing or opening or petitions against the demolition of an historic site - much the same level of news as you get in the Courier or the Examiner.

I'm sure that there are areas that do have much more of a problem with crime, immigraiton, etc. But I choose not to love there, the same way as I would choose not to live in Pulrose (apologies to anyone who lives there, expecially if it's undergone a transformation from when I last lived on the Island!).

But I choose not to love there,

Freudian slip? :)

heh heh, didn't spot that - think I'll leave it in to offset the effect of my post coming across so snobby!

Hooray! Let's have more of this.

We need more Indians driving Fire Engines. Sidesaddle. With tomahawks in their belts instead of little red axes. No need for 999 either, just answer the Smoke Signals.

Hooray! Let's have more of this.

We need more Indians driving Fire Engines. Sidesaddle. With tomahawks in their belts instead of little red axes. No need for 999 either, just answer the Smoke Signals.

Are you a dickhead or is this some form of sarcasm??? The latter I hope although your geography sucks!!

an educated guess given his screen name I daresay it was a "whimsical jape?"