Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
manxmaid

Housekeeping Money

On another thread we are discussing the cost of renting on the IOM..... it made me think back when I was still living at home and paying housekeep to my mum/dad

In approx 1979/80 when I was working full time i paid a tenner...... not bad had my washing n ironing done and my tea ready when I got in......

My kids grumble at having to pay me £30 per week.... this is the going rate in this area (and my son aged 17 earns more then me!!!!)

Can you remember how much you paid when u still lived at home? Or were you one of the lucky ones that didn't pay anything???

In approx 1979/80 when I was working full time i paid a tenner...... not bad had my washing n ironing done and my tea ready when I got in......

I think that around that same time (79/80) I was paying about £15 a week, but I was a couple of years older than you, manxmaid.

not that long ago for me but I paid around £250 per month

When I started work(c.1952) my mother used a 'rule of three', one third keep, one third save, one third spends. I could never get my kids to accept it!

I moved out of home when I was 16, so it has never really been an issue. I am definitely going to give Silverback's idea a try if my two decide to stay at home (which is looking likely!)

I left school in 97 and paid my mum £110 a month and she upped it a tenner every year, but I left in 2000/1 so was up to £150 in the final year....

my brother (younger), managed to swindle £90 a month, and even that he found hard to pay.

I wish my mortgage was remotely near that!!

I like the idea of 1/3rd. - I wish I had 1/3 of my money left to save!!! mortgage cripples me!!!

When I first started work (YTS course - young, thick and stupid) - I just paid what my Mum lost in family allowance for that year. Then I went onto the thirds rule of thumb. Paid one third of my wage.

Moved out into a flat .... the thirds rule help me budget for the rent quite easily.

Then along came the poll tax .............. A thrid of my pay went on that alone!

Then alone came a house purchase .... that was half of my pay!

Then along came a wife ...... and a new house, car, another new car, a boat, a third car ..... thats all my wages now!

Mine pays for the house, the bills and the like, my wife pays for beer and hoildays!

Good job she earns twice as much as me ......... but when you thick about it the thirds rule still applies even now ......... a third of the joint wage goes on the basics ... food, water, 'leccy, heat, and a roof, the rest is 'beer' money.

Its an age old formula ... but still very valid.

I'd recommend the thirds formula to anybody with kids at home.

(BTW - when I was at home - I did all my washing, ironing, cleaning ... and cooked for the family twice a week.)

After I left school I was living at home for 2 years - £250 pm.

Food was included in that but I was responsible for my own washing, ironing etc :)

I was paying £30 a week between 95-98, then I went to Uni where I got it all back off them plus some.

When I started work(c.1952) my mother used a 'rule of three', one third keep, one third save, one third spends. I could never get my kids to accept it!

That was the same rule when I was a kid. The first job I ever had was when I was eleven, delivering groceries around Pulrose on a carrier bike (Granville!). Friday evening and all day Saturday earned me fifteen shillings (75p) which was divided just as Sliverback says. I was, however, allowed to keep the tips for myself and that usually amounted to another four or five shillings.