Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
bazcabs

Large Mail

What's the largest e-mail you have seen attempted or actually sent or received.

We have just had someone nearly bring down our mail server sending a e-mail to a colleage with a 250Mb zip file attached.

It was just internal mailbox to mailbox so it never tried to leave the building.

250 MB - Wow thats pretty big. At least it was internal I suppose...

I'm not going to beat that on an internal email but I've had someone complaining to me when our server stopped them from sending a 64MB powerpoint presentation to an external address.

I suppose in these days of broadband it doesn't seem that much but at the time we only had a 64k link to the internet...

I send 90MB + emails regularly and have had no problem whatsoever.

Thats really a bit daft to be honest - external email shouldnt really go over ~5meg, even if your local mail server supports such large emails others may not- your lucky they get through at all.

Bear in mind that Exchange server standard has a maximum information store limit of 75GB, its ridiculous to be sending mails that big.

FTP was designed for a reason. Its also worth noting that SMTP is not an encrypted transmission method - your data CAN be intercepted.

What's the largest e-mail you have seen attempted or actually sent or received.

We have just had someone nearly bring down our mail server sending a e-mail to a colleage with a 250Mb zip file attached.

It was just internal mailbox to mailbox so it never tried to leave the building.

Easy to set user limits on emails,... would never of happened if the mail system was locked down correctly. That said, user education goes a long way.

Gavsta, in all fairness I don't work in an office and that is from my home ISP, to someone else on the same ISP. I am aware of other ISP's limits and wouldn't send large files without splitting them first.

User education is a great thing but when people can't tell the difference between a Mb and a Kb then what can you do.

I can't limit mailbox sizes as then they will have to keep everything in offline pst files which wont get backed up and when they move machines will get lost. The outgoing smtp connector has a 10Mb limit on it so no problems there, it was just because it was mailbox to mailbox on the same sever that it happened.

Gavsta, in all fairness I don't work in an office and that is from my home ISP, to someone else on the same ISP. I am aware of other ISP's limits and wouldn't send large files without splitting them first.

TBH there is a huge difference to sending a 90meg email to sending 10x 9mb emails really.

User education is a great thing but when people can't tell the difference between a Mb and a Kb then what can you do.

Explain. At length if need be.

I can't limit mailbox sizes as then they will have to keep everything in offline pst files which wont get backed up and when they move machines will get lost. The outgoing smtp connector has a 10Mb limit on it so no problems there, it was just because it was mailbox to mailbox on the same sever that it happened.

I didnt say limit the mailbox size (although this has its benifits, stops users using Outlook as a file store) you can limit the INTERNAL send limits also.

Explain. At length if need be.

Exactly...

I would guess that a significant number of forum members (myself included) are not familiar with the techno jargon used by others when explaining things. In the past I have asked for (and been grateful to have received) advice relating to various computer problems I've come up against, but I have to admit I do struggle to understand some of the advice given.

you can limit the INTERNAL send limits also
so you can. You learn every day. Cheers for that pointer.

Some people refuse to be educated, they are managers after all, they were put into positions of responsibility by a group higher up the food chain than I therefore they don't need educating, they know everything already, to suggest that they need "training" is career suicide.

I can't limit mailbox sizes as then they will have to keep everything in offline pst files which wont get backed up and when they move machines will get lost.

We've got this. It's a godsend when it comes to binning PST archives.

Everyone complains when you tell them to delete stuff, but 9 out of 10 of them never ever look back at their old mail.

That's the problem, in this day and age nobody wants to delete anything (just in case), which is why we don't let them have pst files and keep everything on a server that is backed up twice a night. If a pc goes tits up, they login else where and everything is still in Outlook. Yes they do use it as a file store but that has taken the pain out of "where did I leave that file on the server" that we used to get 15 times a day. We don't have 100's of users but what we have is enough.

@BigDave- I use a lot of the GFI line of stuff and the Archiver is really good for that. Cryoserve is better if you want to keep it foresically sealed.

@bazcabs- I feel for you dude, it sounds like a nightmare - as for career suicide, I would'nt work at a place where I couldnt advise to best pratices up to the top level.

Edited by Gavsta