The Last Film You Saw....

jagman

1 dimensional characters, unconvincing CGI (though I wouldn't write a fil off just because of that), probably William Sadler's worst ever role - even worse then Die Hard 2.

It was very typical Stephen King and reminds me why I haven't read any of his books for many years now (apart from the god awful Cell, which was 'The Stand' lite).

Having said that I did like the ending.

I did say it was the ending that made it so awesome. The rest of it I'd probably agree with.

Funnily enough, the ending is wildly different to the King version. Go figure.

I can't quite remember but isn't it one of the short stories in the 'Skeleton Crew' book? Probably 10 years since I read it so I didn't remember what happened besides people being stuck in a supermarket with nasties outside.

Yeah, it's the first story in the collection. I actually read it a couple of weeks before I saw the movie poster for it on the London Underground so it was a nice bonus as I didn't even realise it was being made.

I'd really like to see a true to book film version of the Running Man from the Bachman Books. The long walk is a better story but not so sure it would work well as a film.

I'd really like to see a true to book film version of the Running Man from the Bachman Books. The long walk is a better story but not so sure it would work well as a film.

Can't see either of them translating well onto the screen, especially The Long Walk - mainly because I can't see a mainstream film being made about shooting young boys when they get a bit tired.

Watched Saw 4 last night, surprisingly, it wasn't completely shit.

It did at least have some element of plot (unlike Saw 3 which appeared to stick two fingers up at the concept), and by showing Jigsaw's back story they managed to have him in the film a lot, which is handy as he's always been the most interesting thing about it. (And conveniently gets around the fact he's already dead before the film starts.)

Pretty gruesome (although nothing as horrible as the 'limb twisting thing' in Saw 3), and generally watchable.

6/10, and at least 100% better than The Dark Shite, sorry, Knight.

Twiglit....sorry Twishite....sorry Twilight. Watched the other night at the behest of the better half. She fell asleep from boredom but I had to keep watching to see if that emo prick got his just desserts. Watch at your own peril IMHO!

A request to movie-makers everywhere - only tweens and girls like emotional vampire based films (although Anne Rice does a sterling job of writing emotionally charged Vampire based novels, laced with sensuality) so give us more Nosferatu, and someone bloody write a script for a Necroscope movie making sure Lumley is on board.

star trek, was alright, average and definately worth a watch, but didnt think it was anything that special, then again im not much of a trekkie, i also thought the story was a bit pants, with the time travelling thing, i just didnt feel that spock was actually talking to himself since technically he wasnt....

Watched Tales from EarthSea last night.

Pretty good amine, but for all the beauty of the artwork and new-age pop-psychology about feeling good about life and death the plot was pants.

I preferred the fully Japanese output of Studio Ghibli - they know how to add ambiguity to characters and give nuance to the plot - EarthSea was too much lost boy finding himself with the help of the archetypes of good to overcome the face melting archetype of evil. Yeah like that story's not been done before!

Watched Tales from EarthSea last night.

Pretty good amine, but for all the beauty of the artwork and new-age pop-psychology about feeling good about life and death the plot was pants.

I preferred the fully Japanese output of Studio Ghibli - they know how to add ambiguity to characters and give nuance to the plot - EarthSea was too much lost boy finding himself with the help of the archetypes of good to overcome the face melting archetype of evil. Yeah like that story's not been done before!

Does the plot mirror the book? I remember reading the books and thought they were brilliant. I love the Studio Ghibli stuff but have been hesitant to watch the movie given that films can rob you of your imagination, e.g. Lord of the Rings.

I would recommend Princess Mononoke (another Studio Ghibli movie) if you have not seen that yet.

Terminator: Salvation. I'm a huge fan of the Terminator franchise but I had BIG doubts about this film.

But it was fucking ace!

I'm sure the plot holes / dodgy character motivations / whatever will come to bug me over the next few days, but right now I'm just thinking how good it was. There are so many references to the previous films (the first two at least) and not just the obvious one liners. It felt like a real continuation of the films I love and was obviously made with a lot of attention to detail. The CGI is flawless, so much so that you barely notice it. There's always a part in Terminator films where the machine's mask starts to slip and you see the hybrid nature start to show. Normally it's Arnie with some make up bulging out from his face, but this time it's CGId - you have a 'wow' moment when you first see it but then it becomes background, as it should be.

I even loved the sound effects. The best sound ever on film, I think, is in Spielberg's war of the worlds when the first tripod is warming up after its long hibernation - a completely mechanical sound but full of menace. the sound of the machines in this film reminded me of that.

It wouldn't stand alone - you could see it without having seen T3 and possibly even T2 but you need to know the basics to appreciate it.

Highly recommended.

Terminator: Salvation. I'm a huge fan of the Terminator franchise but I had BIG doubts about this film.

Highly recommended.

I wasn't so sure it was going to be good from reading reviews. I'll have to watch it then if it is so good.

eek, as long as if you don't like it you don't send a cyborg back in time to sabotage me from getting to the cinema in the first place so that I can't recommend it and encourage you to see it.

But it was fucking ace!

I'm sure the plot holes / dodgy character motivations / whatever will come to bug me over the next few days, but right now I'm just thinking how good it was. There are so many references to the previous films (the first two at least) and not just the obvious one liners. It felt like a real continuation of the films I love and was obviously made with a lot of attention to detail. The CGI is flawless, so much so that you barely notice it. There's always a part in Terminator films where the machine's mask starts to slip and you see the hybrid nature start to show. Normally it's Arnie with some make up bulging out from his face, but this time it's CGId - you have a 'wow' moment when you first see it but then it becomes background, as it should be.

I even loved the sound effects. The best sound ever on film, I think, is in Spielberg's war of the worlds when the first tripod is warming up after its long hibernation - a completely mechanical sound but full of menace. the sound of the machines in this film reminded me of that.

It wouldn't stand alone - you could see it without having seen T3 and possibly even T2 but you need to know the basics to appreciate it.

Highly recommended.

But it's a 12, and thats not right for a Terminator Film. The first one was and still is the best.