7 Deadly Sins

An idea stolen adapted from the Guardian's Notes & Queries.

A list of the 7 Dealy Sins (with helpful definitions stolen adapted from Wikipedia, and the questions:

1. Which of them do you think you're most guilty of?

2. Which of them is the most prevalent in today's society?

3. Which of them is the worst?

[N.B. For amusement only. No prizes are offered. Terms & Conditions apply]

LUST - is best described as thoughts or desires of a sexual nature or the desire for friendship, acceptance, or non-sexual companionship.

GLUTTONY - Modern views identify Gluttony as being associated with an overindulgence of food and drink, though in the past any form of thoughtless excess could fall within the definition of this sin. Marked by unreasonable or unnecessary consumption, Gluttony could also include certain forms of destructive behaviour, especially for sport, for example substance abuse or binge drinking.

GREED - like Lust and Gluttony, is a sin of excess. However, Greed particularly applies to the acquisition of wealth.

SLOTH - More than other sins, the definition of Sloth has changed considerably since its original inclusion in the list. It has been characterized as what modern thinkers would describe as apathy, depression, and joylessness. Modern interpretations portray Sloth as being simply a sin of laziness, of an unwillingness to act, and of an unwillingness to care.

WRATH/ANGER - Inappropriate feelings of hatred and anger. Denial of the truth, both to others and in the form of self-denial. Impatience with the law, or seeking revenge outside of justice, such as with unnecessary vigilantism. Wishing to do evil or harm to others. A modern definition would also include anger towards others for no good reason, such as their race or religion, leading to discrimination.

ENVY – Like Greed, is characterized by an insatiable desire, however the two sins differ for two main reasons. Firstly, Greed is normally associated with material wealth, whereas Envy can apply to other concepts, like love or success. Secondly, those who commit the sin of Envy desire something that someone else has.

PRIDE/HUBRIS - In almost every list Pride is considered the original sin and the ultimate source of all other sins. It is identified as a desire to be more important or attractive to others, failing to give compliments to others though they deserve it, or excessive love of self

A list of the 7 Dealy Sins...

LUST - is best described as thoughts or desires of a sexual nature or the desire for friendship, acceptance, or non-sexual companionship.

Lust - obviously!

catd.jpg

Cat Dealy

Gluttony (says me whilst scoffing a cream scone), although Sloth and Lust might come close too. I'll just be a fat, lazy, letch and be done with it.

Oh dear, probably has to be pride ... bit thin skinned at times ... and the usual result when that particular monster has been unleashed - anger.

So double doses of hell fire for me then ... I sort of suspect that I will be destined to wail and gnash a bit if any of the more brimestone-like elements of religion turn out to be even remotely true. Oh well.

WRATH/ANGER - Inappropriate feelings of hatred and anger. Denial of the truth, both to others and in the form of self-denial. Impatience with the law, or seeking revenge outside of justice, such as with unnecessary vigilantism. Wishing to do evil or harm to others. A modern definition would also include anger towards others for no good reason, such as their race or religion, leading to discrimination.

I suffer from the lot, except for wrath / anger. I'm often angry, but it's never inappropriate! Oops, there goes the pride talking again.