Central Heating, Oil To Gas

Our combi gas boiler is playing up again. The hot water runs hot, then cold, then hot etc. Looks like the thermstat isn't regulating the temperature so it overheats, then cuts out. This has happened a few times in the past in addition to other faults. It's becoming a pain and the service charges are adding up. I'm thinking about replacing the thing with a new boiler. I've looked at the gas condensing boilers, but lots of people have suggested going for oil instead. (The current boiler is probably >10 years old easy)

Has anybody else converted from gas to oil, and will i expect a reduction in my heating bill. Is oil as convenient as the instant-on that you get with the gas boilers? How much does a typical conversion cost. (Its a typical Valiant combi boiler, the ones in the 3bed governors hill houses). Who does the conversion/quotes (Manx Gas/Manx Petroleums)

Cheers

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some useful info on the subject recently

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15962

we had a quote of 3.5k for oil compared with 1.2k for new condensing gas, which we went for,

it would take many years to get the difference back on that !.

(for gas combi boilers cutting out, does it mainly do it when it's windy ?, I was told that was the fan getting weak which was what was wrong with ours, otherwise maybe a build-up of deposits around the outlet flue need brushing out.)

dumb keyboard can't spel ;)

Edited by Tempus Fugit

we had a quote of 3.5k for oil compared with 1.2k for new condensing gas, which we went for,

it wold take many years to get the difference back on that !.

(for gas combi boilers cutting out, does it mainly do it when it's windy ?, I was told that was the fan getting weak which was what was wrong with ours, otherwise maybe a build-up of deposits around the outlet flue need brushing out.)

Agree with Tempus Fugit... I'd stick with gas.

Someone's pulling your pisser, I paid around £400 for a new oil boiler and £150 for tank when i switched from gas. <_<

And your savings? I've looked into this too, as per that thread, and I've decided to go for gas. The unit price is higher for the fuel, but the boilers are reportedly a lot more efficient and the installation costs lower. I've heard some franky rediculous claims from peolple on the costs savings that simply can't be true.

I also dont really fancy a big smelly oil burner, gas is cleaner.

And your savings? I've looked into this too, as per that thread, and I've decided to go for gas. The unit price is higher for the fuel, but the boilers are reportedly a lot more efficient and the installation costs lower. I've heard some franky rediculous claims from peolple on the costs savings that simply can't be true.

I also dont really fancy a big smelly oil burner, gas is cleaner.

Fifty quid a month =£600 per year, and it's abused, when on gas bills were allways£300+ for an hour in the mornings and about four at night.

What really swayed it for me was ill relation who left heating on 24/7 and got an £1800 bill for two months!! :blink:

Someone's pulling your pisser, I paid around £400 for a new oil boiler and £150 for tank when i switched from gas. <_<

You've got no chance of getting an oil combi boiler and tank for that price now , even if you installed it yourself

Edited by modey

We got our gas bill on Friday. £260. Normally for this time of year that wouldn't be bad for us. Last year it was £380. We had a wood burner fitted before Christmas, so I was expecting it to be a good bit less. I was a bit surprised at £260, but not overly disappointed. The Mrs checked the reading on the meter and it's way overestimated - actually should be around the £170 mark! That's down £210 quid on last year. Even with the costs of running the burner - I reckon I've spent £60 on fuel - that's a great saving. The wood burner cost £1200 to buy and fit (Blacks), so it'll take a while to pay for itself, but it will eventually.

I'm getting a new gas condensing boiler in the next month or so. I thought about oil, but I couldn't justify it. It would have taken years for it to pay off and God knows what oil will cost over the next 5-10 years. I'm expecting wood chip to eventually make it over here and I'll head off down that direction when it does - until then I'm sticking with gas, a megatech cylinder and, at a later point in the year, a solar panel. That should lower the cost again - hopefully zero costs during the summer months with the water being heated by the panel. IN YOUR FACE ENERGY BILLS!

I bought an Alpha combi boiler from Manx Gas. My repayments are just £18 amonth over 5 years under their interest free credit scheme. I also got the £250 grant from the Govt too.

I have to say my bills were lower but now I just use the gas fire in the living room. I don't bother with central heating in rooms I don't stay in. Make sense to me.

If you do get a high estimate bill from the gas Co. just take your own reading then ring it through for a revised bill. They don't mind.

I bought an Alpha combi boiler from Manx Gas. My repayments are just £18 amonth over 5 years under their interest free credit scheme. I also got the £250 grant from the Govt too.

I have to say my bills were lower but now I just use the gas fire in the living room. I don't bother with central heating in rooms I don't stay in. Make sense to me.

If you do get a high estimate bill from the gas Co. just take your own reading then ring it through for a revised bill. They don't mind.

I did the same as you (Hugh!)

Got a new Alpha over 5 years interest free + 250 from the government.

I dropped the monthly DD payment to Manx gas by £25 per month as the new boiler was supposed to be so good, and it certainly is. The saving in gas cost means that I am not putting out anything extra for the payment on the boiler and I also pay £ 5.25 a month which covers full parts & labour breakdown and an annual service. My old Vaillant did sterling service but I am well pleased with the new boiler which is now 18 months old.