Central Heating, Oil To Gas

Solar panels do not require batteries or extensive wiring,

They do require batteries if you want store electricity.

Solar panel systems work by converting the suns energy into electricity, which is stored in a battery/ batteries. You'll also need a regulator that lies between the battery and the solar panel which protects the battery from over-charging.

It depends if you are using photo voltaic cells to convert sun light to electricity or if your solar power is much less sophisticated namely heating warter in a tube snaking around the panel to be pumped through you cylinder or central heating system to pre heat the water to enable less fuel to be used

Two different solar powers and two different technologies with two different technical requirements

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends if you are using photo voltaic cells to convert sun light to electricity or if your solar power is much less sophisticated namely heating warter in a tube snaking around the panel to be pumped through you cylinder or central heating system to pre heat the water to enable less fuel to be used

Two different solar powers and two different technologies with two different technical requirements

Exactly.

I'm leaving this thread now because I've done endless research into solar energy and I haven't got the time to discuss it in detail at the moment ;)

John is spot on in his description of the two technology's.

99% of the solar panel installations supplied for the UK climate are conventional hot water tubes.

Due to our reduced sun light hours the pay back on electric cells (battery store) does not really make them viable in this neck of the woods. I think that the board of ed are going to use them in the new Ramsey school - bit of a PR stunt if you ask me.