Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
sarahc

Fitted Bedrooms

I'm looking to get bedroom furniture, possibly fitted. I'll need someone to design and fit it too.

Any recommendations?

I'm looking to get bedroom furniture, possibly fitted. I'll need someone to design and fit it too.

Any recommendations?

Yes. I recommend putting it in a bedroom.

Any recommendations?

Get B and B or someone to do a plan (dont know if they do it for bedrooms) and then order it from MFI. Thankts what we done, the same stuff was about 800 quid cheaper and cost us only 80 quid to get brought over to the island.

Or you could go to MFI site page http://www.mfi.co.uk/mfi/content/aboutplandesign.asp and do design yourself

Go to IKEA, with full room measurements, they will help design. They have CAD

Check their web site first to see what they have at present

Go first thing on a weekday morning so there is no one else there except you and the staff

Take a trailer with you or a transit. If you do it mid week you can do a day trip and if you book in advance it doen't cost too much, even in summer. Remember if you go white van you have to book at freight, not on web and don't get discounts, which is why a trailer is probably cheaper

Then you employ someone to put it together

Thanks.

However...

I'm not an IKEA fan and I think it's mean to get someone to design you something and go to someone else to buy it. That's how people go out of business then everyone moans that you can't get anything over here.

That sounds really ungrateful! I am appreciative of the advice. :)

Anyone used any of the local firms?

I used B&B and have one of their Nolte ranges. Loads of cupboard space and, I think, it looks good. they come and measure up and check things like power points, radiators etc. so they seem to do a thorough job.

It will cost 3 times as much and only be half as good as the IKEA stuff, even afte taking into account the transport and construction cost.

I believe in supporting the Island economy but not in being over charged

Would only say:

(1) don't go for fitted unless you're sure you will be in the same house for at least five years, and

(2) it is worth paying more for the best quality units you can afford.

The post would suggest you aren't looking for a bed, but if you are spend at least 75% of your total budget on a good bed (read: good mattress) and you won't regret it.

John I understand about some local companies taking the piss, but I refuse to have someone design something for me for free and then go off Island. (the MFI suggestion). And I have a problem with the founder of IKEA being a self confessed Nazi sympathiser in his youth.