Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

Anyone use a NAS drive for personal use? I'm want to consolidate all my data in one place as I have a number of external drives that are nearly full and I want to get away from single drives as I've had 2 Lacie ones fail on me already. So I'm looking for a 1TB NAS with RAID - for less than £500 ideally.

I've looked at the Buffalo Terastation but we have this at work and it's always throwing up errors.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2nd hand/old PC, a linux live cd and a bunch of cheap sata disks.

I did look at this option but I've decided on a dedicated NAS drive.

I'm interested in your reasoning behind that.

I'm with Slim. I have a spare box sat under a desk that's crammed with drives in a raid configuration

I'll be ordering this badboy soon :)

D-Link DNS-323 Network Storage Enclosure 2-Bay

DNS-323_main.jpg

# SATA Drive Support

# Internet Access via FTP

# UPnP AV for Storing and Streaming Media Files

# 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Port

# USB Print Server Port

# Built-In Fan Included

Combined with Raid1 1Tb SATA you're laughing :) Super affordable.

I'm sure there are cheaper options, but the Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ is what I'd go for if I was in the market for NAS (and had £500 spare to spend). It might stretch your budget a little, though.

old pc with 80Gb hard drive - free

NASLite software - free

Network card - £15

dedicated NAS box not used for anything else.

can add 3 more hard drives if wanted.

Edited by weasel

There are several reasons I'd go for a hardware solution over a PC with OpenFiler or FreeNAS.

• It'll just work. That's the biggest reason. No reading up, no OS evaluation & testing, no faffing. You'll spend several hours before you've got your PC solution fully researched and set up, be honest. If it's interesting to you that's fine, but if you want something that just works with no fuss, go for dedicated hardware.
  • No dealing with incompatibilities, such as your chosen OS not liking your PC's hardware.
  • No buying dedicated caddies and other bits to chuck in the old hardware. By the time you've made it nice you may have spent as much as that cheap D-Link that Unisol pointed out.
  • You'll know exactly what to do if a drive fails. The light flashes above the drive, you remove and replace it. How d'you do it with OpenFiler or FreeNAS? They don't make it clear from their documentation.
  • It's easy to upgrade your RAID. In the case of the Infrant, just keep adding drives and it does the rest automatically, so you can start with a two drive RAID-1 and make it RAID-5 by simply chucking in an extra drive. That's very nice.
  • Excellent performance, jumbo packet support.
  • Low noise. If it's sitting in a corner and always on, this is important.
  • Low power. I think the Infrant uses about 50 watts, as far as I'm aware a typical PC tower without monitor uses closer to 80 in average use. Over a month, assuming always-on, at 10p per kilowatt-hour (unit), that works out at 150 units, which is £15. Maybe that's slightly exaggerated, but it may be a more significant factor than you'd otherwise imagine.
  • Handy features. Built-in iTunes & uPnP media streaming are actually kinda nifty and something I'd use. (The Infrant runs SlimServer.)
  • Price is not as important as data integrity. It's really not worth saving a few quid by using old hardware and drives if it risks your data, is it?

With all that said, I've set up plenty of home-built stuff before, not so long ago building a KnoppMyth TV box (which is now pure Debian, I switched sources and migrated everything), so I'm not at all adverse to a bit of geek hobbyism. I do, however, recognise it for what it is: if I wanted a TV box without faffing I would've bought a TiVo or similar, same goes for a NAS.

Hi, please bare with my undoubtedly stupid questions. I'm interested in the thing Uni put up. Would it solve my situation?

My Problem?

Large collection of music files. Rapidly, filling up both my internal hard drives. Have tried external hard drives, but both have failed on me so I'd rather avoid this option.

What I want!

Simply to put all my music files somewhere that acts as a drive on my computer, so that I can play them using Media Monkey.

Is this a solution? Could I just buy this thing, and go. Or would I need to buy something else? How do you access the files (I assume wireless internet connection wouldn't work)?

Raid1-Disk Mirroring will ensure that if one drive fails, you don't lose all your data. You just replace the disk and the software will rebuild the new disk to mirroring again.

You plug the device into your existing network, if you have a Wireless access point then you can access the files from wifi devices.

What if you get a mains spike or a local lightening strike and it simultaneously zaps all the drives in the always on backup solution ? Can you really trust surge protection devices? Suppose the device itself fails electrically and zaps the drives.

Don't you need backup backup ? And doesn't the backup backup need to be backed up too.

I seem to remember being taught that the various generations of backup should never be switched on at the same time or simultaneously connected to the same electrical circuit. Something like that. It does seem like good sense.

Your right like, raid/replication doesn't replace backup. The problem with raid is if your data is damaged by something like a daft erase or a virus, your replica will replicate the damage.

What if you get a mains spike or a local lightening strike and it simultaneously zaps all the drives in the always on backup solution ? Can you really trust surge protection devices? Suppose the device itself fails electrically and zaps the drives.

Don't you need backup backup ? And doesn't the backup backup need to be backed up too.

I seem to remember being taught that the various generations of backup should never be switched on at the same time or simultaneously connected to the same electrical circuit. Something like that. It does seem like good sense.

I'd recommend a half-decent UPS protecting the NAS, aye, and I'd do backups of the data if possible. The Infrant supports rsync snapshots, as far as I'm aware, and you can back the entire thing up to an external USB2 drive (albeit a big one) which seems like a good compromise to shelling out for a full server & DLT drive. Just don't leave this USB2 drive plugged in ;) Storing it off-site would be sensible.

Slim - The Infrant looks good and the option of running Slimserver on it a bonus. Price is a tad hefty. Your points are most of the reasons I'm going with a dedicated NAS. RAID 1 will do for now but I like the option of going to RAID 5 later.

Uni - The D-Link DNS-323 is a bit of a cheaper option but I've read some damning reviews of it in the past. Unless they've done some work on the recent models I'll avoid it.