Can anyone tell me where I might find wild garlic growing away from the roadsides? I want to use it for cooking(some nice old French recipes) Only I don't fancy the added exhaust fumes.

Also, would anyone like a recently beautiful Aspidistra plant? There is a story behind this, but just briefly, my late mother gave me an aspidistra which she had loved for forty years, I killed it with TLC within a few short weeks. Some years passed and an old lady friend of a friend died leaving her sixty year old , stunning Aspidistra to my friend who knowing I wanted a second chance gave it to me. I have had it for a couple of months and it is now all manky and sad looking , so I wondered if any kind soul out there would like to have it as a gift and save its' life?

If you are down the South of the Island there is plenty of wild garlic in the fields around the Four Roads. I walked the other weekend accross the footpath that come out behind the old Southlands building and there is lots of it growing there away from the road.

Also with your Aspidistra don't over water it, and maybe try keeping it out of direct sunlight as that can burn the leaves.

Im sure years ago when ever you walked through silverdale glen you would encounter loads of wild garlic! I forgot what a treat that smell was! thanks for reminding me! I have just had a sudden pang of homesickness, of the Manx summer/autumn, the smell of wild garlic and picking blackberries!

Mama,

You could always cook the Aspidistra plant. From what I saw of it earlier, it could very much improve the taste of your cooking and I doubt anyone would notice!

It solves the wild garlic and Aspidistra problem all in one go.

Stav.

Mmmm, wild garlic, lol, ORGANIC too. Don't worry about the proximity of the highway. Strip off naked and go and pick as much as you can carry, lovely ,lol... After all, it will keep for at least a week before you bin it, lol.... Tarquin can make do with a Pot Noodle........lol,lol.....

Thanks for all the replies fellas. (I'll deal with Stav later)

"Is it edible? I was once told that it'll give up a stomach upset." This remark was interesting as that is just what I was told years ago. The thing is that you use the leaves and the flowers, not the cloves. You can use the cloves, but it is essentialy the other parts that are most used.

A very kind forum member is thinking of giving the Aspidistra plant a home,I went into the dining room to impart this information to the Aspidistra and it sort of cringed back when I approached curling what remaining leaves it has left around the plant pot and gripping the sides of the pot, it then backed away from me traveling the full length of the dining table backwards-------- thump-----thump-------thump. I left it cowering and am now on my way to bed.

Thanks again.

By the way, the aspidistra goes by the name of Gracie, no prizes for guessing why :)