Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Not the Comfy Chair

The London Congestion Charge

I, together with Mrs NTCC and Ms NTCC, am holidaying in London next month, and will be arriving and departing on a Saturday. So, I think I have nothing to pay because it only applies on Mondays to Fridays.

But, if we go out of the congestion charge area during the week to see friends, and the congestion charge is applicable, does anyone know if can they charge me in a Manx-registered car?

I, together with Mrs NTCC and Ms NTCC, am holidaying in London next month, and will be arriving and departing on a Saturday. So, I think I have nothing to pay because it only applies on Mondays to Fridays.

But, if we go out of the congestion charge area during the week to see friends, and the congestion charge is applicable, does anyone know if can they charge me in a Manx-registered car?

As there seem to be quite a lot of manx number plates selling on ebay I'm guessing its a grey area ;)

I'd just wait and see if they can identify your registration and send you a bill

http://www.cclondon.com/

" We then manually check each recorded image and issue a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) of £100 to the registered keeper of the vehicle. As with parking penalties, this payment will be reduced to £50 for prompt payment within 14 days. Failure to pay the PCN within 28 days will result in the penalty being increased to £150."

http://www.cfit.gov.uk/ruc/factsheets/london/index.htm

"Foreign vehicles are also monitored and checks made through links between TfL and similar agencies in other countries"

I'd see if anyone else on here has direct experience of this becuase if you take Terry's advice and they do identify your registration then the bill will be £100 per unpaid charge.

It does amaze me how people think that just because they are going "abroad" they can flaut the laws of the land, and why because the authorities won't be able to track them down.

Whether its German speed fiends, people illegally parking on the Prom or Manx fare dodgers it really annoys me.

Plus I think is dodgy in the case of Congestion Charge - hasn't there been alot of work to make sure car related fines etc track across between the UK, IOM and Eire? I'd assume the congestion charge people will be able to get the address - and I see no reason why a Manx Court wouldn't enforce the order.

My attitude is obey the laws of the country your visiting - that's a moral not an administrative issue - it seems people think different and that if the administration of the law means its unlikely they will get caught they can flout the law. Hope 50K visitors coming to visit us don't think like that.

Simple answer is

Up until 2 years ago you could avoid paying Congestion Charges and parking fines and, if clicked by the yellow speed cameras, you were Ok and could speed too.

The IOM did not give out owner details under data protection

in May 2005 reciprocal driving bans came in, between UK and IOM, at tne request of the IOM, an agreement to exchange information for "crimes" such as motoring was needed to make it work, so now IOM DoT provides ownership details ro local authorities, police and the DVLA.

So drive in the congestion charge area and not pay, on any day, you will be tracked down and issued with a penalty notice. It cannot be enforced directly over here as a civil penalty, in the courts, but next time you go through immigration at an airport, or go over on the boat, watch out.l

Police fixed penalties can eventually be backed for bail and warrants issued which are enforceable in IOM.

Speed cameras will catch you and put three penalty points on your non existent english licence, if you get 12 in 3 years then you will be banned in UK. That means you cannot drive in IOM, even though your manx licence is clean, and the UK will tell IOM that you are banned here as well. You will be watched and if you drive will be prosecuted for driving whilst disqualified

anyone know about carparking tickets???

not the yellow line ones, but the county council or private company (ncp) ones. Im intending to save a wad in parking costs when I go down to see the folks.

I would advise to take the tube if you are nipping about in London - driving is too much of a hassle, aggressive shite drivers, congestion, charges and just moving at 5 mph! Get on a tube, a whole day travel card is about a fiver so worth the money! Get yourself an Oyster card when you arrive and save even more money - with journeys in central at £1.50.

www.tfl.gov.uk -i think you can get a pre paid oyster card online before you go!

Have a good time!

If you're planning to use your car in the "congestion zone", pre-pay online before you arrive - much more convenient and one less thing to worry about. Alternatively do as T&B says and take the tube, but avoid peak hours (8am-9am and 5pm-6pm) though as it gets packed and is not a pleasant experience.

not the yellow line ones, but the county council or private company (ncp) ones. Im intending to save a wad in parking costs when I go down to see the folks.

They can and will trace you and get their cash. NCP especially are well known for it and foreign cars don't phase them either. They'll take it to whatever court they have to and charge you costs as well, then they'll simply factor it off to a debt collecting firm and wash their hands of it. They might not bother for just the one, but if you rack up a couple they'll be out to get you.

If you're planning to use your car in the "congestion zone", pre-pay online before you arrive - much more convenient and one less thing to worry about. Alternatively do as T&B says and take the tube, but avoid peak hours (8am-9am and 5pm-6pm) though as it gets packed and is not a pleasant experience.

They can and will trace you and get their cash. NCP especially are well known for it and foreign cars don't phase them either. They'll take it to whatever court they have to and charge you costs as well, then they'll simply factor it off to a debt collecting firm and wash their hands of it. They might not bother for just the one, but if you rack up a couple they'll be out to get you.

Just two replies

Congestion charging Do use public transport. By time you have paid the CC plus parking you will be betterr off. Rememeber you can pay one day in arrears, so if you go out you can pay on line for up to 24 hours

Parking. Not sure BigDave. Penalties are not enforceable in the IOM Courts (thats what all the banking stuff is about) So they may chase you for parking fees, but hardly worth it for a few pence, but for a day in London, maybe, but they cannot enforce the panalties here. Of course sue you in UK, get County Court judgement and mess up your credit rating.

I'm confused. You're saying if I owe someone in UK, they can't just get a Manx advocate and take me to court for it here?

Getting the CCJ would a bastard though and worth avoiding if you want car credit or a mortgage in the next 5-7 years.

I'm confused. You're saying if I owe someone in UK, they can't just get a Manx advocate and take me to court for it here?

Getting the CCJ would a bastard though and worth avoiding if you want car credit or a mortgage in the next 5-7 years.

Of course they can sue you here but the court will asy if properly defended by you in small claims that it is a penalty. It even will say so on the ticket penalty charge.

It is a sine qua non of private international law that the courts of one country do not enforce the taxes, fines and penalties of another

........ You will be watched and if you drive will be prosecuted for driving whilst disqualified

Although I would not condone driving whilst disqualified, there is something quite chilling about that sentence.