there is a funding crisis for the health service and with the new VAT agreement meaning there will be a big hole in the windfall VAT income from the film industry from now on it was decided it was not diplomatic to spend too much on the fireworks

Well I think they were fine, and my friend who is in hospital at the mo, thought they were a real tonic. We didn't discuss the VAT or film industry angles though.

I can't believe that whilst I was watching the fireworks, the last thing on my mind was the health service, new vat agreement, the film industry or diplomacy. How shallow must I be?

Incredibly shallow.

But, did you know that the secret ingredient to making the pink halos was actually Douglas produced white dog poo? They fire it up into the sky and it descends as a wonderful pink ring. A bit of a homage to where it came from, I suppose.

Nice shots everyone!

Personally I really enjoyed them, especially the finale with all the gold hanging in the air. I believe a very good sum has been invested in the upcoming laser show.

I enjoyed it topless!

Pity the SSC2 had to chip in with its horn at the end .. maybe they should have towed it into the bay, used it as a floating launch platform .. and sunk it.

Why was there going to be a delay?

Something to do with the tide?

They thought there was going to be an onshore breeze. Health and safety fun prevention officers get their stupid noses into everything these days.