July 1st.... Smoking Ban!

Jake

Good idea or bad idea?  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bring on the 17th act for promulgation this Thursday on Tynwald Hill - 'Public Health (Tabaco) Act 2006'

:)

Interesting to see the final act is to allow races to be held on the Billown Circuit on 27 May 2007 (why this requires an Act of Tynwald I don't know!?) - a law that was enacted and expired before prumulgation, now there's a constitutional quandry :P

Edited by Beckett

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do we have no rights anymore??

non smokers have been asking that for some time too. and theres a lot more of them than there are of you.

your car analogy is flawed. nobody is telling you that you cant smoke. theyre telling you that you cant smoke in certain places. i find it odd that you would support the ban in eateries and places where children are because in doing that, youre recognising it as an unhealthy habit. if you can accept that there are places you find unacceptable for smoking, then you must accept that there are places that other people do too.

certainly, i do not at all disagree that smoking is unhelthy but what im saying is that is should not been made compulory for owners of businesses, pubs, clubs etc to ban it. if they want to ban it so much then why not make the selling of tobacco illegal too? its corrupt that they are allowing the sale of cigarretes, but not the freedom to smoke them? its in the pipeworks that they are trying to get the ban inforced in cars and homes too, whether this will happen - i dont know, but what im saying is that things have got to be fair for everyone..!

certainly, i do not at all disagree that smoking is unhelthy but what im saying is that is should not been made compulory for owners of businesses, pubs, clubs etc to ban it. if they want to ban it so much then why not make the selling of tobacco illegal too? its corrupt that they are allowing the sale of cigarretes, but not the freedom to smoke them? its in the pipeworks that they are trying to get the ban inforced in cars and homes too, whether this will happen - i dont know, but what im saying is that things have got to be fair for everyone..!

it hasnt been compulsory in the past for places to allow smoking so clearly leaving it as optional doesnt work.

once again, your right to smoke has not been removed, youre just not allowed to smoke in certain places. i remember when they banned smoking on the buses. there was a huge uproar, mass complaints but eventually it petered away and people accepted it. this is no different.

they allow the sale of fireworks to the general public too you know but they dont let me set them off in the middle of strand street at lunchtime. is that corrupt too? or is it just a restriction made with public health and safety in mind.

i remember when they banned smoking on the buses. there was a huge uproar, mass complaints but eventually it petered away and people accepted it. this is no different.

Not the best of examples, I'd suggest, since most of the buses are running with very few passengers.

thats unrelated to the smoking ban though, that's a change in culture. there are significantly more cars per head of population than there were ten years ago and a higher percentage of people have dirving licences.

you cant honestly tell me that someone will willingly exchange a 10 minute bus ride for a 40 minute walk just so they can have a smoke.

its an example of public opinion becoming more accepting of a smoking ban in a public place. what more do you want? the implication is that in time, people will accept and understand the need for this ban in other public places.

As with the buses, those who smoke will use such places less often. As with the buses, there will be fewer of them in time (which will create the impression of 'acceptance').

Personally, since I don't frequent pubs and clubs, the ban will not have a specific effect on me in that respect. It will, however, have a considerable effect on my earnings as fewer and fewer people choose to go to them and many of such establishments close.

you cant honestly tell me that someone will willingly exchange a 10 minute bus ride for a 40 minute walk just so they can have a smoke.

A few, perhaps - but many will/do choose to make a ten minute journey in their own cars rather than catch a bus because they have the freedom to smoke if they wish to.

either you agree that its unrelated to the smoking ban or your dont. youre flip flopping.

the decline in bus usage is not related to the smoking ban. its everything to do with affordable private transport. you can go hunt out statistics on falling public transport usage in similar economic environments which do not have smoking bans on their public transport if you dont accept that because i just did and i'm right.

i was using it as an example of people accepting a smoking ban in a public place. nothing more. stop trying to shoehorn it into something i never intended it to be in a failed attempt to get it to fit your own argument.

• 2 months later...

Radio active fish, E numbers in food that is harmful to children, parents feeding their own kids on junk food, parents driving gas guzzlers polluting the atmosphere, people jetting all over the world polluting the atmosphere, various countries letting off nuclear bombs underground doing goodness knows what damge, the river mersey polluted with hudreds of thousands of aborted children. The list will continue.

But for f***s sake don't have a fag.

Oh yeah I don't smoke between fag breaks. And as said before I don't do politically correct.

Best Wishes

Do the Navan Walk

Radio active fish, E numbers in food that is harmful to children, parents feeding their own kids on junk food, parents driving gas guzzlers polluting the atmosphere, people jetting all over the world polluting the atmosphere, various countries letting off nuclear bombs underground doing goodness knows what damge, the river mersey polluted with hudreds of thousands of aborted children. The list will continue.

But for f***s sake don't have a fag.

Utterly flawed logic. You're saying you should ignore improvements to public heath simply because it's under threat from a number of different places?