Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Abortion....

I am sure there are a minority of women who do use abortion as an after thought to contraception (which is wrong)

What do you mean here? That a minority think "Sod it, if I get pregnant I'll have an abortion"? I think that the majority of women who have abortions use it as a late form of contraception. If you take your pill as instructed, there is a smaller than 3% chance you will concieve and using condoms there is a less than 1% chance. This does not mean that you will get pregnant for every 100 times you have sex, the odds on getting pregnant when you have sex at the height of your fertility and at the right time of the month, are probably something like less than 50% at best. Which to my mind means that majority of people who say they used protection when they got pregnant are lying, I probably does happen very rarely as the chance for it does exist. If you have sex and aren't adequately protected you know the chance of getting pregnant exists, it's a fact of life, it's the whole point of the process. I think if abortion was illegal, less people would get pregnant "accidentally".

but I think the majority of women who go ahead with a termination, for whatever reason agonise over it and never take it lightly. (its not like going to get a filing - it is an extremely horrible procedure and certainly not as blaze as some people think)

I agree here, it's not a nice thing at all and I'm sure there'll be moments of guilt afterwards but life goes on, and based on what I said above, hopefully the majority learn and won't make the same mistake twice.

I was 15 when I got pregnant with my first child and although I didn't want an abortion, it was hard not to entertain it as an idea when it was pushed as the most sensible option for me at the time. After thinking about it, it wasn't a serious consideration for me but I did think about it. Obviously I'm glad I didn't and I think things have actually turned out better for me than if I hadn't had the child. I know that many girls are that lucky or aren't driven enough to make things better for themselves, which is why I think teenage girls should be supported if it's what they want and not made to feel cheap because of their mistake.

It sounds like you have gone through a bit feelslikeitshould and I admire your strength and determination.... I bet you have the best result you could wish for in a child and that was down to you. I wish you well.

I think that it's dependent on circumstance. What I do find hard to understand is that in the UK abortions can be performed something like up to 24 weeks. The youngest surviving baby is 22 weeks!

Adoption would be a good option for people who don't want a baby, as there are a lot of couples who do want children but can't have them. Unfortunately I think that this isn't generally the case as women could go for an abortion without anybody knowing, but if they went through a full term pregnancy maybe they would feel that there is a slight social stigma to "a mother giving away her child" and would find people's comments hard to deal with. Just wondering what sort of maternity benefits would a woman be entitled to if she was a surrogate or gave a baby for adoption?

Do You believe that a woman has the right to choose whether or not to have a baby or do You feel that life is life no matter what?

Should depend on the circumstance

I am ambivalent about this. But I have to say with the availability of free contraception and pretty much on-demand abortions (no matter how it dressed up that two doctors need to sign off, it is pretty easily obtained) it is a wonder that there were so many teenage mothers. Perhaps what is lacking now is a fear of getting pregnant, which was the greatest contraceptive when I were a lass. Now, I know each circumstance is different (and this is by no means a criticism of FLIS), but you do have to question why there are so many teenage girls pushing prams around. Not so much here as across, but it is still noticeable.

I also know that in days gone by unwedded girls were sent away to have their babies and some even ended up commited to mental institutions for the rest of their lives. But isn't there a middle ground here?

For teenage girls, (well, for anyone, but I am focussing on young teenagers as I think they are ill-prepared for parenthood no matter how intelligent and socially adept they may be) there are three options; keep the baby, abort the pregnancy (early) or give the baby up for adoption. The last, I believe, is inhumane, especially after all the hormones kick in after a birth promoting bonding and maternal feelings, and something that both mother and child have to deal with for the rest of their lives. I suspect the effect on the mother is further reaching than the effect of an abortion. It is a hard one to call, especially for teenage mothers.

But keeping the baby? Well, with a good supportive family around, with plenty of spare time and cash to help in raising the child, then it need not be a sentence to a life on income support. But how many families are willing or able to give that kind of support?

Tough one, but I would fall on the side of pro-choice, with the caveat, that 'choice' for a teenage mum (either for or against) is going to have to be very carefully counselled.

but you do have to question why there are so many teenage girls pushing prams around. Not so much here as across, but it is still noticeable.

Free housing and benefits ?

but you do have to question why there are so many teenage girls pushing prams around. Not so much here as across, but it is still noticeable.

Free housing and benefits ?

Hey Minxie,

you're so right there, loads of them got council flats as one parent mothers, then moved boyfriend in as soon as got they their flat. This started probably 15+ years ago, in recent years with mass immigration, they have a lot more rivals, many with whole families. Poor lasses, eh.

I have nothing against abortion per say as I believe the woman has rights etc. and I hold with many of the pro-views mentioned earlier. However, I do have a problem with the number of abortions carried out.

I think we have totally lost the plot on this, with the number of abortions in 2006 (in England and Wales) rising by 3.9% to 193,700 and we need to take a long hard look at why this is happening - for example, a third of women having an abortion have had a previous termination, and "a recent investigation by Unicef revealed that more British children are having sex by the age of 15 than in most other European countries.". See clicky.

Surely the answer is in revisiting how kids are educated about this at school (and re-educating the general population), so that abortion becomes seen as a 'last resort' instead of a 'first resort'. In the meantime, if that means initiatives such as handing out contraceptives at school and making contraception much more easily available and less of an embarrassment to obtain so be it. Also, I wonder if people would so easily opt for abortion if they realised just how most babies are actually 'aborted' - a lesson on this in school might make teenagers especially a little more careful.

I suspect the answer is complicated and involves education, alcohol availability for kids, chavs and a raft of other issues - but generally revolves around a complete breakdown of values.

I also think the father has some rights over such a decision - and it would be interesting to hear some opinions on that.

I also think the father has some rights over such a decision - and it would be interesting to hear some opinions on that.

I couldn't agree more.

Having a child is a desicion that affects both parents, in a massive way for the rest of their lives. The fact the father has no say in the matter is wrong.

I am all for pro-choice, I also think women guilty of "kids for council houses" should be sterelised!

I've sorted a new avatar for you:

_40732471_swastika_203.jpg