Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Newsbot

[BBC News] Driver dies in crash on main road

Best suggestion I have heard is the double white lines to prevent overtaking over the blind hump in the road (the cause of this crash).

Was that really the cause? Did it have nothing to do with the speed of the car and/or actions/reactions of the driver?

Being objective, on a major route like that - means literally millions upon millions of cars have travelled this route over the time.

Good to see they are taking what seems like an objective view. I might not be saying that when they make public their 'new system' though :)

Back on topic: From MR: New Speed Limit System.

"David Anderson says there's only been one serious accident there in the last 10 or 15 years, but has left the door open for restrictions to be put on the road. Mr Anderson says the DoT is currently looking at bringing a new speed limit system in".

Being objective, on a major route like that - means literally millions upon millions of cars have travelled this route over the time.

Best suggestion I have heard is the double white lines to prevent overtaking over the blind hump in the road (the cause of this crash).

Trying to be objective, my point was really, that considering only one serious accident given the literally millions of cars that have travelled that route, they should perhaps leave things as they are. Change things, and you risk changing people's behaviour and the speeds and positions that they do overtake at etc. etc. - perhaps swapping one problem for another. It is already against the highway code to overtake on a blind hump.

Back on topic: From MR: New Speed Limit System.

"David Anderson says there's only been one serious accident there in the last 10 or 15 years, but has left the door open for restrictions to be put on the road. Mr Anderson says the DoT is currently looking at bringing a new speed limit system in".

Just goes to show how utterly clueless this bloke is, wasn't there a bloke run over by 2 different cars in exactly the same dip about 3 or 4 years ago? Don't get much more serious than that...

That is the sound of your own incompetence Mr Anderson.

Just goes to show how utterly clueless this bloke is, wasn't there a bloke run over by 2 different cars in exactly the same dip about 3 or 4 years ago? Don't get much more serious than that...

Wasn't that a guy who was lying drunk in the road? If it was, that could happen any number of places.

Was that really the cause? Did it have nothing to do with the speed of the car and/or actions/reactions of the driver?

Regardless of speed/actions/reactions, it is almost impossible to avoid what you cannot see.

Cause or not, double white lines are more likely to stop someone overtaking in that area than a speed limit imo.

Cause or not, double white lines are more likely to stop someone overtaking in that area than a speed limit imo.

Exactly!!!

Wasn't that a guy who was lying drunk in the road? If it was, that could happen any number of places.

But, as our esteemed Minister overlooked, it happened there. I fully understand it was more of a freak incident, yet it was still serious and still took place on that section of road.

I thought THAT was the other serious accident he was talking about, in fairness...

Double white lines would be good, perhaps for the length of the Ballahutchin. This incident begs the question however - why are what are essentially crap drivers allowed to bomb around the island (and let's be honest, they usually are bombing) in phenomenally high performance cars such as the one in question? And there's plenty more of them around, most of them accidents waiting to happen in my experience, capable as they are of clearly outperforming their drivers. It's a bit like giving a blind person a handgun, telling them to practice on the prom, and then being surprised when some bystanders get shot. What is it with these cars? Do people who own them actually fantasise whilst driving them that they are some sort of heroic competition driver? Or what? I don't get it.

Double white lines would be good, perhaps for the length of the Ballahutchin. This incident begs the question however - why are what are essentially crap drivers allowed to bomb around the island (and let's be honest, they usually are bombing) in phenomenally high performance cars such as the one in question? And there's plenty more of them around, most of them accidents waiting to happen in my experience, capable as they are of clearly outperforming their drivers. It's a bit like giving a blind person a handgun, telling them to practice on the prom, and then being surprised when some bystanders get shot. What is it with these cars? Do people who own them actually fantasise whilst driving them that they are some sort of heroic competition driver? Or what? I don't get it.

Well Keyboarder, since I have a new found respect for life, I will not merely flame you for speaking ill of the dead. Calling Dave Manley a 'crap' driver is a little bit harsh considering he took what was a high speed misjudgement that could have resulted in numerous fatalities and managed to miss everyone else causing only his own death. A 'Crap' driver would have not reacted at all, and ploughed straight through the oncoming vehicle.

It was a case of momentary bad judgement.

In support of your other words, I will agree as a past owner of a Lancia Integrale Evo, that yes, I was to an extent fulfilling a fantasy by owning one. BUT, at no time did I drive that car thinking I was Henri Toivenen, nor did I think I was anyone special by owning it. That is only my view, I am sure that certain owners do try to think that they are those iconic stars of the rally cricle.

The problem is that the current breed of road based rally car is that they (more or less) drive themselves. There is that much electronics monitoring the drivetrain/brakes etc etc that they really do install a sense of immortality to the driver, they will forgive so many driver errors that even the most average of driver thinks they are capable above their means.

No amount of technology would have changed this particular case, if it had been the same driver in the same situation at the same speed in my old Lancia however, I can tell you now that the headline would have started "Many lives lost..."

Anyway, excluding the current accident, I do agree that there are too many of this type of vehicle being driven by people who to be quite frank have no right to be behind the wheel of them.

So...again....I find myself sort of agreeing with Keyboarder, will someone PLEASE ban me for aiding and abetting a known troll>?

I don't know all the facts so won't comment on the standard of driving in this incident. However, I would welcome the introduction of a further test of competency, required to drive cars of a certain specification, even though I myself would then have to pass said test. It seems only common sense to me. I couldn't drive a bus or HGV without the appropriate qualification - shouldn't a high performance car receive similar treatment?

If you enjoy the ownership of a car, whatever the make, and enjoy driving generally, then those people who don't will never understand you, just the same as I can't understand why people play or watch golf or football or do basket making. I don't see why I have to explain my passion for motoring, even if driving in the Isle of Man it gets ever more tedious with each passing year :(

I couldn't drive a bus or HGV without the appropriate qualification - shouldn't a high performance car receive similar treatment?

No. Buses and HGVs provide an invaluable service to the daily needs of modern society. Performance cars do not. Far more sensible to keep them off the roads altogether.

If you enjoy the ownership of a car, whatever the make, and enjoy driving generally, then those people who don't will never understand you, just the same as I can't understand why people play or watch golf or football or do basket making. I don't see why I have to explain my passion for motoring, even if driving in the Isle of Man it gets ever more tedious with each passing year :(

Your analogies are nonsensical. Golf and football are pastimes carried out in areas that are created for that very purpose. (not sure about basket weaving, but how many innocent victims are claimed by that, lol...) The purpose of our roads is to carry as many people and as much goods as many miles and as safely and efficiently as allocated funds allow. They are not for you or others to live out your dangerous fantasies on and putting lives at unnecessary risk. Or at least shouldn't be, government would appear to think otherwise.

I think we're forgetting here that the driver in the recent fatality was in total control of his vehicle.

It was not defective, he chose to drive at the speed he was driving, he chose to overtake at that location. Whether he made an error of judgement or a heroic avoidance move is totally irrelavent, he didn't have to be driving that fast and he didn't have to attempt an overtaking manouvre at that location - the accident was for all intents and purposes entirely one of his own making.

There are plently of people who own vehicles capable of exceedingly high speeds, whether they choose to drive them at speed, where the law permits, is up to them. The capacity of a vehicle to achieve high speed does not compel any driver to do anything whatsoever.

The driver is expected to be in control of the vehicle - NOT the other way around.