Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Minxie

Based on the short Stephen King horror story of the same name, 1408 surrounds supernatural writer Mike Enslin, an author of two hit books focusing on supernatural phenomena. As research for his latest book, Enslin is determined to check out the notorious room 1408 in a New York City hotel by personally staying as a guest in the fabled room. With the intention that 1408 is just a myth perpetuated by stories and rumor that Enslin has collected for his past works. However, hotel manager Mr. Olin has strong objections to Enslin's stay and only warns him of possible danger to come. But Enslin is determined to go through and convinced that the horrific past of 1408 is just mere coincidence and a myth. But what Mike Enslin is about to experience is no myth, as 1408 truly is a room where the guests don't check out by noon.

Watched this movie, and although it was good, I felt a bit 'cheated' at the end. It felt like there was a bit missing - they could have explained things a bit more for my liking. Saying that though, I did enjoy it, so it's worth watching.

It does depend what version of the film you watch with regards to the endings. The Directors Cut, where Mike dies, is a rare occasion where the theatrical cut probably works better.

I thought it was pretty good, but I really would have preferred a bit more *something*, regardless of which ending you get to see. There's no explanation why the room is evil, they never really follow up on the relationship detailed in his first book with his father. That's King though, it's all very hit and miss. Although this is largely hit.

Yup, was a good film, some real nice effects but it seemed like they stretched the main part of the film out and then just added a bit at the end to try and wrap it all up.. leaving us to use our imagination as to why the things happened etc.

That's King though, it's all very hit and miss.

Yeah King's less good books often suffered from exactly the same problem (and even his really good books sometimes ended with a terrible fizzle).

He can do 95% of the story brilliantly well, and then appears to have terrible trouble thinking up a decent way to wrap it all up, often because the premise of his tales are so imaginative that it's hard to actually bolt a decent ending onto them.

This film sounds pretty good though, and it's got to be worth a dabble just for John Cusack and Samuel L Jackson, who are both uber-cool.

I'll wait for the DVD though, since our cinemas are so bloody poxy, you get a better picture, sound, and a more comfortable seat, sat at bloody home.

The DVD is out. That's how I saw the Directors Cut. Region 1 I grant you but who doesn't have a multi region box these days?

http://www.play.com/DVD/Region_1/4-/346826...on/Product.html

A-ha!

See now when I was over in the UK recently I saw adverts for it being due in the cinema, and completely forgot that us poor Europeans get to see films about 1408 years after they get them in the States, so I just assumed Minxie was talking about seeing it at the pictures here.

I may investigate this matter further.

The DVD is out. That's how I saw the Directors Cut. Region 1 I grant you but who doesn't have a multi region box these days?

http://www.play.com/DVD/Region_1/4-/346826...on/Product.html

I have the choice to watch either the theatrical version or the director's cut.

Generally speaking I like bleaker, darker endings, none of this tacked-on Hollywood baloney to keep the masses from crying into their popcorn.

(So I much preferred the director's cut of The Butterfly Effect, for example.)

Which would you recommend?

I have the choice to watch either the theatrical version or the director's cut.

Generally speaking I like bleaker, darker endings, none of this tacked-on Hollywood baloney to keep the masses from crying into their popcorn.

You want to watch them both really. I know that's a cop out. Having seen them both now, I would actually say I preferred the theatrical one because it gave it more of an ending.

Yeah, that ruled. I watched the DC of that first by mistake too and didn't realise until I caught the end on Sky a few months later and thought "What the hell is this shit?" when I saw the happy bullshit ending. The DC ending was the only way that the film could have made sense.

Yeah, that ruled. I watched the DC of that first by mistake too and didn't realise until I caught the end on Sky a few months later and thought "What the hell is this shit?" when I saw the happy bullshit ending. The DC ending was the only way that the film could have made sense.

What was the DC ending of the Butterlfly Effect? (I thought it was a great film)

I can't imagine the film working with anything other than the DC.

I watched the DC first, simply because it was the one available to "purchase" at the time, and then read up on it after I'd watched it, I was so non-plussed simply reading about the cop-out ending of the theatrical version that I've never felt inclined to seek it out and watch it.

Also, because I'm shit, I still haven't watched 1408, but I think I will endeavour to set aside the time this evening - I'm going to watch the DC first, and then perhaps the theatrical cut at a later date, although I'm not sure what the logic is behind this decision.

What was the DC ending of the Butterlfly Effect? (I thought it was a great film)

me too! you mean they didn't pass each other on the street and glance at each other, then live happily ever after?

mmmmm Ashton..... :wub:

It does depend what version of the film you watch with regards to the endings. The Directors Cut, where Mike dies, is a rare occasion where the theatrical cut probably works better.

I thought it was pretty good, but I really would have preferred a bit more *something*, regardless of which ending you get to see. There's no explanation why the room is evil, they never really follow up on the relationship detailed in his first book with his father. That's King though, it's all very hit and miss. Although this is largely hit.

Well I just watched the DC, and it was certainly a decent enough flick, and pretty creepy as well.

So I get that Mike dies at the end, although he still seems to be inhabiting 1408 right at the very end of the film and can hear Katie's voice in there as well? How does the theatrical cut differ?

I don't think it really matters why the room is evil, I read it as it's evil insofar as it plays upon the worst fears and errors of those who inhabit it, and haunts them with those tragedies and mistakes and nightmares, so that side of things makes sense.

The way it turns right back in on itself towards the end, and makes it clear that he never escaped 1408 at all, and the "infinite hour" starts ticking down again is a nice touch, and thus Mike makes the noble sacrifice in accepting his fate, as he decides to take the room with him as it were, by destroying it with fire, and perhaps gaining redemption for his selfish life.

I'd be interested to hear how the theatrical cut differs, and what your thoughts on it are?

From Wiki

They get him out and, though burned, Mike is told that he will be all right. Mike attempts to tell the firefighters not to enter the room, as it is 'evil'. A short while later, a smiling Olin is seen in his office, smoking a cigar and praising Mike for surviving.

Mike recovers in a New York hospital, Lily at his bedside. He swears that he saw Katie, but Lily refuses to believe him. After his recovery Mike moves back in with Lily, beginning work on a new, non-horror novel. While sorting through a box of items from his night in 1408 Mike comes across his Mini Cassette recorder. After some difficulty he manages to get the tape to play; it begins with Mike's dictation of 1408's appearance, but cuts in with audio from his interaction with the apparition of his daughter. Lily freezes in shock as she hears her dead daughter's voice coming from the hand-held, and the film closes on Mike meeting her shocked stare with one of grim vindication.

I think the cinema release worked way better tbh

I think the cinema release worked way better tbh

Hmm I'd have to see it to pass final judgement, but overall I'd say that it makes more sense for the room to claim its victim in the usual fashion, except this time its different in that the victim "kills" the room as well. That's the redemption for Mike's character, having him survive fucks up the dynamic that the room and by proxy himself, were punishing him for his selfish lifestyle, but that he found bravery at the end of it.

From description alone, on balance, I'll go with the DC, my feeling is that it's a film that lends itself to a dark ending.