Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
sarahc

Double Glazing

I need my windows doing. Already got PVC in the front, need it in the back too.

Any recommendations/for God's sake stay away froms?

PM me if you're not comfortable slagging off companies in public.

Also how much are windows supposed to cost? I don't qualify for a home improvement grant.

used Manx Glass some years ago to fix + replace several - very happy with them + price.

Had bad experience in UK with a well known outfit who I see also have a rep on Island (interestingly using UK reg vehicles) - you could get a quote from them then half to gain an estimate - catch with dealing with them is that give them a phone number and you are pestered for life - took a lot of threats to get off their UK pester list - this might well be local to S E England (possibly they are a franchise) and the Manx outfit is fine so ask others.

I used a local one man firm to do my whole house. He was priced excellently, far cheaper than any of the major players and he did a superb job, working lots of extra hours to get the job mostly done before Xmas last year. When I gave him the balance of the money on completion of the job in the New Year, he even came back later the next day and gave me some money back as he thought I'd overpaid him. I still think he got his maths wrong and I actually owed him that money but there's not many tradesmen these days that would return money like that. but he was insistant. Honesty like that earns a lot of respect from me.

PM me if you want his contact details, for a quote if nothing else.

Everest have fantastic products but I don't think the extra cost is worth it, and as an ex-double glazing 'salesman' who's knocked hundreds of doors, I can tell you that over 90% of complaints were aimed at the aforementioned company

...Manx Glass just refurbed our windows, I'm very pleased with the product and service

Just had my house double glazed this week by "Manx Glass", they did a good job & they never even asked for any money up-front. Which is always a good thing incase the firm goes tits up.

I did have to wait for quite a few months for the work to be started, but out of the four local firms I asked for quotes from "Manx Glass" were the only firm who even bothered to show up.

(if any of the guys from Manx Glass read this you left your Dewalt battery & charger behind)

Edited by victorian dad

I need my windows doing. Already got PVC in the front, need it in the back too.

Any recommendations/for God's sake stay away froms?

PM me if you're not comfortable slagging off companies in public.

Also how much are windows supposed to cost? I don't qualify for a home improvement grant.

Take rough measurements of your windows and phone Magnet on Douglas Head Rd for some made to measure quotes - this will give you a rough idea of the difference between unit price and fully fitted. Which will often make you laugh.

keltic windows did ours, dunno how much but we had a few problems and they were happy and quick to sort out problems free of charge... government paid seeing as its their house...