I Am Legend

3v0

Being a big fan of the book I was more anxious than most to see how this played out on screen....I went to watch it last night and was intrigued and then wholly disappointed.

The ending is such a big cop out but when you look back at the other monumental changes that there were compared to the book I shouldnt have been that surprised.

True, the set pieces around NYC were very well done and it was for the most part really hard to see the joins. But thats where the interest ended for me....

Where was the claustrophobic monotony that comes through so well in the book, the sense of utter dispair. Smith looked like he was having too much fun playing golf and joyriding in his Mustang.

Where was the ritual slaughter of the infected?

Where was repeated taunting of his neighbour each evening?

Why so much CGI on the infected?

And that ending is just not bleak enough or in any way true to the book?

On a plus point I thought Will Smith was pretty good.....

Oh and the Minstrels were lovely...the sweet not the performers!

Yeah it'd be nice if Hollywood did a 'Se7en' a bit more often, but unfortunately that's not how the Hollywood Machine functions these days, especially now there's so much product placement to be done. (Can you imagine Seven getting made in the year 2008?)

Will Smith is a bloody good actor, but he sucks corporate cock far too readily, I-Robot, for example, was a good film, once you'd got past the fucking Nike and Audi adverts........

I Am Legend could have been great, he's a good enough actor to carry it (which is no small feat considering how 'alone' much of the story is) - but even though he's one of the most bankable stars in the world, he still played along with setting the entire film up for a Hollywood cop-out ending.

The ending was a total turnaround from the book, instead of being a legend because he became such a figure of fear and terror to the 'others' and was therefore killed, he became a legend because he saved the human race instead, and thus loses the entire point of the whole story, it's a fucking shite cop-out and I hate it when films pull tricks like that.

I completely share your disappointment, it was a PG-13 cop-out of the lowest order, change the ending to be happy, stick a load of shite CGI bollocks in to make it more of an action film, and generally just shit on the whole fucking thing - well done America!

Oh well, at least they don't have genocidal maniacs as presidents......

Oh, hang on.

Edited by Andy Swainston

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then again to be fair most people haven't and wont read the book so are taking the movie at face value. So in that context it's not a bad movie. I haven't read the book so I had no expectations either way. I enjoyed the movie for what it was especially the first hour and the couple of holes in the plot didn't spoil it for me. The anti-climatic ending was disappointing though. However I agree - David Fincher would have made a far better movie out of the raw material.

Then again to be fair most people haven't and wont read the book so are taking the movie at face value. So in that context it's not a bad movie. I haven't read the book so I had no expectations either way.

I agree.

I think the main thing to consider is that it's a PG-13. They're aiming at as wide a market as possible, most of that market won't even be aware that this is based on a book and that this film is the 3rd remake and furthest from the events of the book.

It's a Will Smith movie so the audience will already have preconceptions of what kind of film it will be, they will expect a happy ending and for them, this film delivered. If you go back to the beginning of the thread a few people had already acknowledged the fact that a Hollywood ending was inevitable and that was before it was released. He is still a legend because he saved the world, that's what Americans want to see in this age of 'terror'....

To be as close to the book as possible, Will Smith would'nt have had the starring role, the lead would've driven around in a beat up car that had no badges on, he would've died and everyone who read the book will have been satisfied but a little a depressed at the bleakness of it all. It could've been a powerful movie and most likely at least a 15 but that movie was never going to be made by these producers.

This film/book reminded me of Z for Zachariah (the last man, Adam was the first) which I read in school when I was probably 15ish. It was the only book that I actually bothered reading in class though, as opposed to staring blankly at the page in my own world, turning the page when everyone else did...made a refreashing change from Shakespear. Come to think of it, we read King Lear in the same year, which probably goes some way to explain why that schools years were so depressing!

I think I'm going to pick both I Am Legend and Z for Zachariah up from somewhere.

What Sumo claims to be the original film - The Last Man on Earth is actually on Sumo now - Vincent Price.

edit to add

1964 Italian produced film set in 1968 and what a load of poo it is.

Edited by bluemonday

This film/book reminded me of Z for Zachariah (the last man, Adam was the first) which I read in school when I was probably 15ish. It was the only book that I actually bothered reading in class though, as opposed to staring blankly at the page in my own world, turning the page when everyone else did...made a refreashing change from Shakespear. Come to think of it, we read King Lear in the same year, which probably goes some way to explain why that schools years were so depressing!

I think I'm going to pick both I Am Legend and Z for Zachariah up from somewhere.

Yeah I remember reading Z for Zachariah at school, enjoyed it.

The film of it was a bit average though.

Many years ago, I read The Purple Cloud by M P Shiel (1901). The novel tells the tale of Adam Jeffson, who, returning alone from an expedition to the North Pole, discovers that a worldwide catastrophe has left him as the last man alive.

Anyone else ever read it? Wasn't that bad as I recall.

edit to add

It's available to dl at http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/11229

Edited by bluemonday

• 1 month later...