Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Mutley

Kevin And Marita

Not a great picture is it? Looks like they've just been caught shagging in the bogs but they think no-one noticed.

Are those people, or has someone pinned a child's drawing of a woman up next to a waxwork dummy?

Thank sweet jesus someone else has said this. Kevin I don't mind. He's quick-witted. And Merita is a decent newsreader and, I'm sure, a splendid person. But as a 'co-presenter' she is excruciating. It reminds me of when Johnny Vaughan was stuck with Kelly Brook on the Big Breakfast; you could tell the punchlines weren't reaching her til five or ten minutes after their delivery. I think Merita and her 'yeah, like, whatever' attitude is supposed to be a foil for Kevin, but it's just beyond awful. I thought being a DJ was about playing good records and being smart and funny in between, not flaunting your ignorance of just about everything at every opportunity. When she says 'seriously' for the 100th time in the show, or emits that painful forced giggle which is supposed to be coquettish, I just want to die. Die or listen to Alex Brindley, which is the same thing, more or less.

Thank sweet jesus someone else has said this. Kevin I don't mind. He's quick-witted. And Merita is a decent newsreader and, I'm sure, a splendid person. But as a 'co-presenter' she is excruciating. It reminds me of when Johnny Vaughan was stuck with Kelly Brook on the Big Breakfast; you could tell the punchlines weren't reaching her til five or ten minutes after their delivery. I think Merita and her 'yeah, like, whatever' attitude is supposed to be a foil for Kevin, but it's just beyond awful. I thought being a DJ was about playing good records and being smart and funny in between, not flaunting your ignorance of just about everything at every opportunity. When she says 'seriously' for the 100th time in the show, or emits that painful forced giggle which is supposed to be coquettish, I just want to die. Die or listen to Alex Brindley, which is the same thing, more or less.

Hear hear Pamplemousse. I could put up with Kevin but a double act with as much chemistry as oil & water is cringe worthy. I’m sure they’re both perfectly lovely people but they’re no Johnny & Denise. The more music breakfast show? If only! Like others, I listen by default & the music is good but give me Mr Wogan on Radio 2 anytime over these two. Please stop, sit back, realise it doesn't work & try something else!

Not listened to them, but Alex f8cking Brindley is really getting to me on MR. All the time he is trailering something really good in 5, 10 or 15 minutes, so the content of his show is not what he is doing now, but what is coming shortly and how it is better than the shite you are listening to now! We all know tomorrow never comes.

I like young Alex, I think he is a personable chap, if a little raw round the edges, but someone on Douglas Head must surely pull him to one side and tell him that it is not the future content that will sell the show, but the content that you are listening to at that very moment.

Now, if this is a ploy to get everyone re-tuning their radios to listen to his programme while Mandate is on, it just is not going to happen. I will say it again: IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

So please stop pleading for listeners to take the time while they get ready for work, get the kids ready for school, get the animals sorted for the day, when all they want is to be entertained/informed, not dangled carrot after carrot of future listening pleasure (especially if they re-tune their radio, because something really good happens there). It doesn't, and while I am sorting dinner money, wiping up that last spill from kids or dog, whilst still aiming for the door at 8.20, I am not going to re-tune my radio to listen to how you broke your shower.

Sorry, a bit of a rant, but I felt it was needed.

Not listened to them, but Alex f8cking Brindley is really getting to me on MR. All the time he is trailering something really good in 5, 10 or 15 minutes, so the content of his show is not what he is doing now, but what is coming shortly and how it is better than the shite you are listening to now! We all know tomorrow never comes.

I like young Alex, I think he is a personable chap, if a little raw round the edges, but someone on Douglas Head must surely pull him to one side and tell him that it is not the future content that will sell the show, but the content that you are listening to at that very moment.

Now, if this is a ploy to get everyone re-tuning their radios to listen to his programme while Mandate is on, it just is not going to happen. I will say it again: IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

So please stop pleading for listeners to take the time while they get ready for work, get the kids ready for school, get the animals sorted for the day, when all they want is to be entertained/informed, not dangled carrot after carrot of future listening pleasure (especially if they re-tune their radio, because something really good happens there). It doesn't, and while I am sorting dinner money, wiping up that last spill from kids or dog, whilst still aiming for the door at 8.20, I am not going to re-tune my radio to listen to how you broke your shower.

Sorry, a bit of a rant, but I felt it was needed.

Hear hear - they do this on all the radio stations though, Kevin and Marita are buggers for doing it with their trivial little quizzes in the morning - JUST GIVE US A FIXED TIME WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO DO THE BIG REVEAL SO WE CAN WORK OUT WHETHER TO GIVE A SHIT OR NOT.

'How long shall we give it Marita?'

'Another ten minutes?'

'Yeah OK then'

Ahhh thinks I, that's fine, I'll still be in the car in ten minutes, so I'll hear the really exciting answer to what pop band has had its original founding members for the longest time in the history of the world.

Ten minutes later,

'We'll give you a last five minutes on this one!'

(Like we're supposed to be really effing grateful or something.)

Well bugger off then, thinks I, 'cause I'll be in work by then, at which point I have to start working, as opposed to listening to the radio.

I got so pissed off with it I stopped listening to the radio in the morning completely, and since the crappy courtesy car I'm in doesn't even have a CD player, I now drive to work in silence, which has worked out quite well 'cause it gives me time to think about stuff instead.

Also, why the hell is 3FM's reception so utterly appalling around the island? I have to retune my radio three times on the drive from Ramsey to Douglas (and back again), there are a few completely dead spots, and I've ended up with three presets on the radio just for one radio station.

I can only assume it's not a very strong signal, 'cause Radio 1 manages with one frequency for nearly the entire drive, with just a little tweak required for the Ramsey area.

Energy FM is pretty good overall but their DJs are the worst in the world for talking over the records, I daren't start actually enjoying a song for fear some inane blathering DJ (there's a hint in the name, DISC Jockey.....) will start rambling on about some trivial bollocks about 90 seconds before the song actually finishes.

And of course there's the curse of local advertisements, which usually make me want to remove one of my own testicles with a pair of tweezers, as it'd be slightly less painful than enduring some smarmy twat assuring me for the millionth time that Lexus are changing the world by introducing a new type of hybrid engine into their £50000 4x4s. (Way to save Africa, y'bastards!)

Anyway, rant ends, and I agree with Gladys, make what we're listening to NOW interesting and entertaining instead of what might be coming up later on when we'll probably be doing something else. Failing that, just play a bloody record and shut the fuck up.

Not listened to them, but Alex f8cking Brindley is really getting to me on MR. All the time he is trailering something really good in 5, 10 or 15 minutes,

That's the best part of his show: it offers a glimmer of hope that something awsome is going to happen to make listening through all the prattle worth the mental anguish it causes.

Sample Brindley banter: After playing 'Walk Like an Egyptian' and Jimmy Nail's 'Crocodile Shoes' (!) he spent a little time wondering aloud if it's possible to walk like an Egyptian while wearing crocodile shoes, and whether the Egyptians really did walk like that. I'd go on, but I blacked out after ten minutes of the broadcast, to be found in a ditch five miles from my home, crying and screaming.

Listening to his show is somewhere between being subjected to a ten year old's stream of consciousness burblings, and being sat next to a blabbersome nutcase on the bus. Replacing him with a prerecording of soothing reassurances that everything's going to be ok and things will start to look up any moment now would improve it no end.

There was a replacement in last week for Marita - Alison? Aileen? She was far better and it was quite funny because it sounded like she couldn't be arsed with the other gobshite wittering on. He was trying to be the usual smart ass and she seemed totally indifferent to it all. Good girl!

We know you're reading these posts 3FM so bin the whole K&M rubbish - it's not working. If you want to have a funny irreverent breakfast show then listen to some of the radio shows in London or Ireland. They at least put a bit of effort in and produce some really funny stuff. It's not like we're short of material over here - we have a bunch of overpaid idiots trying to ruin the country. They at least are fair game. Employ some writers. There are some funny people on here that could easily write material - you just need some non-irritating DJs to deliver it.

While your at it, when the news is being read out don't say "more on that story at 9" - 90% of us are in work by then FFS! Tell us at 8 or 8:30!

Also please don't talk over the start and end of records - yeah I know most DJs do it but if your guys didn't then we'd have to listen to less of your banal chatter and more music. More music 3FM my arse.

And another thing... when you started you guys used to play really good music that you don't normally hear on the radio. You quickly moved to the play-list rotation rubbish that everyone else uses. Stop playing the same shite over and over.

When is DAB going live over here? I presume that will give us a much wider choice of stations?

/vacates soapbox to let someone else step up

Also please don't talk over the start and end of records - yeah I know most DJs do it but if your guys didn't then we'd have to listen to less of your banal chatter and more music.

Didn't they start that "way back then" so you couldn't tape songs of the radio?

/vacates soapbox to let someone else step up

I think the soapbox has been definitively owned by the last four or so posts. Glad other people feel so wound up. I suppose the answer is to just turn off, but it would be much nicer to have the option of listening to funny and likeable DJs instead of smug tw*ts. Agree with you Mutley about the other girl who was on the 3FM breakfast show last week - she had a really good voice and was just more...subtle.

Edited by pamplemousse

Also please don't talk over the start and end of records - yeah I know most DJs do it but if your guys didn't then we'd have to listen to less of your banal chatter and more music.

Didn't they start that "way back then" so you couldn't tape songs of the radio?

Yeah but not all DJs - John Peel, Andy Kershaw, Dave Fanning to name but a few.