Tynwald Clerk Retires

Manx Radio News

Malachy Cornwall-Kelly (who seems an all round good egg imho) gives Tynwald a glowing report in the audio file attached to the News Items.

I would disagree on one small point though, at the end he says "every member has a right to put down a motion an have it debated"

This is not correct. Certainly the right to put down a motion to Tynwald is there but it is only debated if there is a seconder to the motion. There have been a number of motions put to Tynwald where our elected members have preferred not to have it debated.

"Let's not go there" sort of thing.

Edited by lisner
Manx Radio News

Malachy Cornwall-Kelly (who seems an all round good egg imho) gives Tynwald a glowing report in the audio file attached to the News Items.

I would disagree on one small point though, at the end he says "every member has a right to put down a motion an have it debated"

This is not correct. Certainly the right to put down a motion to Tynwald is there but it is only debated if there is a seconder to the motion. There have been a number of motions put to Tynwald where our elected members have preferred not to have it debated.

"Let's not go there" sort of thing.

MCK is a great guy. I hope he writes a book about life behind the scenes in Tynwald.

I can't deny Malchy Corwall-Kelly is a great guy and he is a great speaker.

I am told of one of his first introduction to the Isle of Man was a Tynwald dinner function and the seating arrangement was such that he was put sat next to Peter Karran. The rest I'll leave to his book!

Mr Cornwall-Kelly is a diplomatic sort of chap though and judging from his 'glowing report' I would imagine he would be reluctant to relate some of the outrage that he will have come across, especially when dealing with people considering Petitions of Grievance.

You know, the Isle of Man isn't quite the utopia some of our highly paid ego tripping politicians make it out to be.

I can't deny Malchy Corwall-Kelly is a great guy and he is a great speaker.

I am told of one of his first introduction to the Isle of Man was a Tynwald dinner function and the seating arrangement was such that he was put sat next to Peter Karran. The rest I'll leave to his book!

Mr Cornwall-Kelly is a diplomatic sort of chap though and judging from his 'glowing report' I would imagine he would be reluctant to relate some of the outrage that he will have come across, especially when dealing with people considering Petitions of Grievance.

You know, the Isle of Man isn't quite the utopia some of our highly paid ego tripping politicians make it out to be.

You surprise me. I thought everything in the garden was wonderful. Freedom to Flourish and all that!