Places To Visit

DjDan

If the weather is good + they are reasonably fit and well shod then walk to Lag-ny-keeilly - very evocative (see www.manxnotebook.com//history/arch/lagnykly.htm) but the walk around the coast from Port St mary, or for a shorter walk the brooghs Ramsey to maughold section of coastal path should also impress most visitors - the section around Santon is also very good walking with great views

The Great Union Camera Obscura is worth a visit as they will probably never have seen one, only takes about 10 minutes.

I feel perhaps a bit cynical, but when I came out of that thing my thoughts were:

".....er........yeah...?"

There was a chap outside welcoming folk in, but if he had a suit and a top hat and selling bottles of 'miracle cure-all medicine' or something then it would have been apt.

But I suppose it was nice to see it renovated rather than destroyed and I really should use my imagination to before the days of TV and handy-cams mobile phone cameras and all that.

I wish MNH used people with imagination.

The Queens Pier, Ramsey.

Oh sorry it's closed cos the Manx Government don't give a fuck about Ramsey.

And neither does anyone else. If Carlsberg made shitholes, Ramsey would quite possibly be the best shithole in the world.

Talk about Chavtown Central.

Give anyone one good reason why they should visit Ramsey, FFS.

I agree the Maughold Crosses are amazing - the ones that mix Norse and Christian mythology especially - a unique record of a unique cultural time.

I'd also add Fort Island for a different way to spend 1/2 hour or so - not as much dog mess as Langness and interesting interpretation boards about the history and wildlife.

Just added all the places to visit together :cool:

Aside from all the regulars (House of Mananan, Manx Museum, Laxey Wheel etc.)... any suggestions on some nice sites around the Island that you have come across? particularly those that are somewhat 'unknown'. Photos, descriptions.. anything really.

I have a family member come to stay, and well.. I should take her around the island! - of course. Just looking for some extra specialsuggestions as I plan things. Having lived here from birth... I don't really do the site seeing thing! I've done it all growing up. It's been some time now.. :rolleyes:

Cheers

'Slim'

They up for a walk? Groudle Glen, Glen Helen, etc?

'ali_bancroft'

The 'Sound cafe' is always interesting.

'Ean'

Scarlett?

'cheeky boy'

Niarbal, followed by a roll up the magnetic hill.

'Tempus Fugit'

silverdale, have a ride on the roundabout :)

'jim'

The Great Union Camera Obscura is worth a visit as they will probably never have seen one, only takes about 10 minutes.

'bluemonday'

Bradda head and the tower for the views then just over the front face of Bradda for a look at the medieval 'Monk holes' hand cut mines. Path down is reasonably accessible.

'John Wright'

I would suggest the Great Union Camera Obscura, unique.

The Gaiety, 7 different plays on over next 7 nights, evn if they hate the play the interior is stunning (or there are guided tours)

The Grove Museum in Ramsey to see what upper middle class life was like in the 1870's, plus a good cafe

Outdoors, especially if its blowing a hooly, walk around the outside of Peel castle, then go and have tea and cake in one of the cafes

'Minxie'

If you take a trip down south to the Sound, then you could do Cregneash, The Chasms and Mull Hill at the same time - and maybe even fit in a trip to Bradda Head.

'Bobbie Bobster'

The Nautical Museum in Castletown is well worth a visit, especially if you can get one of the guides to go through the Peggy story.

Manx National Heritage Site

'Sheriff Buford T. Justice'

The Queens Pier, Ramsey.

'sarahc'

Another vote for Niarbyl. I just love it! Bring your towel for a paddle and then a stroll to the White Strand beach.

'Foxtrotlima'

Maughold Church yard to see the celtic crosses? The Quaker Graveyard is very interesting too.

'Frances'

If the weather is good + they are reasonably fit and well shod then walk to Lag-ny-keeilly - very evocative (see www.manxnotebook.com//history/arch/lagnykly.htm) but the walk around the coast from Port St mary, or for a shorter walk the brooghs Ramsey to maughold section of coastal path should also impress most visitors - the section around Santon is also very good walking with great views

'Chinahand'

I agree the Maughold Crosses are amazing - the ones that mix Norse and Christian mythology especially - a unique record of a unique cultural time.

I'd also add Fort Island for a different way to spend 1/2 hour or so - not as much dog mess as Langness and interesting interpretation boards about the history and wildlife.

Edited by manxy

Don't forget the Wildlife Park. Always nice to go and see the........erm.........ducks

Just be careful round the otters, they have a malevolent streak and delight in trying to spoil a visitors' trip to the wildlife park. The last three times I've been there they've been either playfully killing and eating ducklings that had strayed into their enclosure, getting nasty, or delivering hate speeches against ethnic minorities.