Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
sarahc

World Cycling Championships

Came across this by chance on the telly.

It got me thinking - there's a few people over here who like cycling, wouldn't it be great if we built a velodrome? Then we could host the World Cycling Championships.

What do you think?

Long overdue.

The govt seems to find it easy to bankroll trams/horse trams etc to the tune of millions at very short notice, however when we get a chance to do something to really put Isle of Man on the world map they drag their heels.

For whatever reason, we have a rich pool of cycling talent in IOM at present, with strong representation at future olympics a real possibility.

Think of the benefits for established names and the hundreds of youngsters who will want to emulate the Cav's and Kennaugh's in the future if we have a high quality velodrome facility here.

I am sure I heard that the Onchan Park leaseholder is now looking to sell up, our government should be looking to do something useful for the future and pulling out all stops to make this happen. Surely this would also qualify for lottery funding. How much of that has IOM seen since the lottery came here ?

Came across this by chance on the telly.

It got me thinking - there's a few people over here who like cycling, wouldn't it be great if we built a velodrome? Then we could host the World Cycling Championships.

What do you think?

The idea got a general slating from the forum last time it was discussed:

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...ic=15464&hl

I'd welcome it. The island seems to produce more than it's fair share of talented cyclists. I reckon it's cos of all the hills. Take advantage of it and we could become world renown as a place for cyclists to develop.

But I like cycling, so I'm biased.

I used to love International Cycling week over here and used to compete for the Manx Road Club. Mountain Time Trial was my favourite event, but the Kermesse events were good to. Hill climbs up Summerhill - loads going on. It's a pity we lost it all in the end as some great competitors used to come over.

"Unfortunately in September 2003 the Isle of Man Department of Tourism and Leisure announced that it would no longer be providing financial support for this event." - good thinking Department of Tourism!! At least we have the Darts championships though... :mellow:

international-cycling-week3-big.jpg

Edited by slinkydevil

Cavendish has just won a Gold in the Madison.

Was that the 200 lap race? I saw the start of it but had to go out so I missed the end. Well done him.

Yeah, well done Mark Cavendish, an epic performance in the Madison.

Well done Mark !!. Especially since he was not in the best of health at the time of the event, makes it all the more remarkable !!.

Did a few time trials here in the 80's under the tuterage of Mr Bert Hope (who I think is due an MBE or similar for his commitment to IOM cycling !).

A fantastic result which we should all be extremely proud of.

Cavendish does it again - poor Tom Boonen was a bit premature in his celebrations

post-3388-1208523481_thumb.jpg

Cavendish does it again - poor Tom Boonen was a bit premature in his celebrations

ha ha, good'un, saw that in the paper, 'is aint over til it's over' !