Sky Agent On The Island?

modey

I've been having trouble with my sky+ box for a while now, with the sound skipping and recordings failing, so i found out from the digital spy forums that this is a known fault with amstrad boxes and sky will replace it free of charge, even if it is out of warranty.

I have got an e-mail back from sky to tell me an engineer will call next friday to fit a new box but they haven't given me a time.

Is there just one agent for sky who carry out work on there behalf or is there a few? I could do with finding out who is going to do it so i can arrange access.

From memory there are a few sky agents on the island Clear vu, Waltons and Colebourns are the 3 that spring to mind. I'm not sure if they have their own engineers tho, I know when I got mine installed a few months ago, the guys installing it were subbies and not employees of the agent.

Edited by ramsea

If you can get it replaced for free - go for it. If not, take the top off and replace the HDD . They are available on ebay for around £20 and take about 10 mins to change if you take you time. The hardest thing is to find a screwdriver for the tamper proof screws. Pace are just as bad. Mine packed up 1 month from new.

I've been having trouble with my sky+ box for a while now, with the sound skipping and recordings failing, so i found out from the digital spy forums that this is a known fault with amstrad boxes and sky will replace it free of charge, even if it is out of warranty.

I have got an e-mail back from sky to tell me an engineer will call next friday to fit a new box but they haven't given me a time.

Is there just one agent for sky who carry out work on there behalf or is there a few? I could do with finding out who is going to do it so i can arrange access.

I would say it is likely to be CleerVu. Phone them up to see if they have a call out to your address.

Did Sky not give you a job number?

I would say it is likely to be CleerVu. Phone them up to see if they have a call out to your address.

Did Sky not give you a job number?

Yeah i've got a job number, i'll give them a call

• 1 year later...

I had 2 guys come round from a company called SKYMAN I recognise the older guy from the TT paddock and it was Matthew Sayle i think he does Sidecars. I had seen him driving around in a old tranny van and when he came to my house he was in a new traffic van i think. Very clearly signed though.

They also installed my 80 year old mother in laws sky as part of the digital switchover help scheme and she was over the moon with the work they did.

I live in a large detached house and I am very awkward on not wanting to see any wires. When I said this to Matthew he said "Dont worry Yusser, but you can watch me if you want to keep an eye on me" He was a bit of a comedian but at the same time very professional. I watched as he working and was amazed at how at first when i saw all the cable required how he could conceal the cable and do such a fantastic job. Whilst his mate was cleaning up he even set my surround sound system whilst he was waiting. I dont think I have ever met a installer with his knowledge compared some of the other guys. I would say he was quarlified to do the job the Guy I had round before was definitely not.

When I lived in douglas I had a old guy called phil in a silver van with a simple SKY sticker on the side. The 2 installers couldn't be any different. The latter moaned, made a mess and tried to charge for extra cable. I called SKY to complain regarding the mess left behind like large holes in my walls, cables not tacked correctly, and leaving me with all of his rubbish all over my garden.

Apparantly Greg at Colebourns told me all of SKYs work is sent to Digi Sat Services in Colby and they then subcontract SKYMAN to do the North and sometimes the West.

Clearview, waltons and colebourns all sell there own sky packages at sometimes cheaper and sometimes dearer.

My advise if your going to buy a new tv upgrade your sky at the same time and they will do it as a sweetener to sell the TV. Other than that if you just want to upgrade call SKY direct and hopefully you will get SKYMAN or Digi Sat Services and not that Phil prat.

Karl.

If you have any problems with sky installation, service etc email the CEO direct at jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com, you will find you get a call very quick and your problem resolved in days, don't forget to mention in it you are already pissed off that you have to pay the same price for sky without getting the extra services such as broadband and telephone, we had a faulty HD box that to that point had taken 3 months to get resolved, it got replaced in 2 days, given 2 months free rental and £50 marks vouchers and given a direct email and number to the serious complaints dept for any future problems we have.

• 11 years later...