Taxi Rank Anecdote

keyboarder

You weren't one of those taxi drivers who were getting their cars inspected outside the Villa Marina this morning, were you?

I noticed a taxi on the rank outside the Chesterstreet Shoprite this morning that looked like it was being inespcted by two people in yellow jackets.

Okay, I'll bite.... but briefly:

Keyboarder actually recommending illegal behaviour in a vehicle (yes, it is illegal for a private vehicle to park on a taxi rank) seems to negate all the crap he/she has subjected us to regarding obeying the rules of the road. In other words, incontrovertible proof that keyboarder is a troll.

Taxis are subject to frequent spot checks, as well as the annual test that they have to undergo - I'd happily suggest the same standards being applied to all vehicles.

When Skies Are Grey. Today, 12:02 PM Post #28

(10poundslater @ Apr 1 2008, 12:30 PM)

.....who is it you rely upon at 3am on a Sunday morning to take you home when its raining and your walking along the prom with some form of food that’s getting wet!

Not fucking taxi drivers thats for sure......

Everyone else...just not you.

Okay, I'll bite.... but briefly:

Keyboarder actually recommending illegal behaviour in a vehicle (yes, it is illegal for a private vehicle to park on a taxi rank) seems to negate all the crap he/she has subjected us to regarding obeying the rules of the road. In other words, incontrovertible proof that keyboarder is a troll.

Taxis are subject to frequent spot checks, as well as the annual test that they have to undergo - I'd happily suggest the same standards being applied to all vehicles.

When Skies Are Grey. Today, 12:02 PM Post #28

(10poundslater @ Apr 1 2008, 12:30 PM)

.....who is it you rely upon at 3am on a Sunday morning to take you home when its raining and your walking along the prom with some form of food that’s getting wet!

Not fucking taxi drivers thats for sure......

Everyone else...just not you.

Tssk....I beg to differ....but thanks for biting.

yes, it is illegal for a private vehicle to park on a taxi rank

No it isn't.

My pet peeve about taxis is the ones that don't bother to turn off their 'For Hire' lights so you end up having to wave at every sodding taxi you see to find one that's empty. It would help massively if they did this. Of course, if you ask them they all deny they leave it on.

Generally though, I'll always walk home now, no matter where I am. Getting a taxi is simple too much hassle, they have a sickly sweet air freshener smell in them which masks the stench of stale beer and sweat from previous customers and I'd rather save the money.

I always walk. Most taxis ignore a bloke trying to wave them down on the prom on a Saturday night.

The reason for this is that during busy periods, eg Saturday nights, a lot of calls are being made to the taxi base. Drivers will then get all the work they need from the radio and customers who have called for a taxi are a higher priority than those who stand on the prom trying to flag one down.

So if you try to flag down a taxi and it goes straight past, it means the taxi is on the way to a job which has been booked.

The simple answer is to actually phone for a taxi.

The other comment people make is "But I let it ring for ages and nobody answers". I used to get my work from A1 and they have something like 14 phone lines coming into the office. With 2 people answering calls it sometimes takes a while to get to you. It works on a queue system, so if you just hold on the line they will get to you eventually.

I always walk. Most taxis ignore a bloke trying to wave them down on the prom on a Saturday night.

Drivers will then get all the work they need from the radio and customers who have called for a taxi are a higher priority than those who stand on the prom trying to flag one down.

Fine. If you turned your fecking 'For Hire' light off a lot less people would try to flag you down.

So if you try to flag down a taxi and it goes straight past, it means the taxi is on the way to a job which has been booked.

The simple answer is to actually phone for a taxi.

Yes but as Mr Sausages and Ans have pointed out - taxi's have a for hire light on them for a reason. If they used them as they're supposed to less idiots would jump out into the road pissed off about not getting a taxi.

Even if you phone for a taxi its no guarantee you won't have to wait for ages.

And maybe they could stop all this rubbish about all island Taxi licenses to make the current situation worse. They're just bricking it about the value of over hyped taxi plates plummeting. For most people it will make no damn difference to the level of (rubbish) service you get from the taxi industry here.

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Keyboarder actually recommending illegal behaviour in a vehicle (yes, it is illegal for a private vehicle to park on a taxi rank) seems to negate all the crap he/she has subjected us to regarding obeying the rules of the road.

Well, I'm not too sure what crap I've subjected you to but I would advocate obeying the rules of the road. However, I do tend to make my rules up as I go along. This thread is not about getting one over on the law though, it's about winding cabbies up and I'm clearly even better at that than I thought I was, lol...... In addition, the scouse slattern I referred to in the op wasn't even being deprived of a space within the rank - she had just opted to do a little diy policing in her own clearly undiplomatic way. ; )))

In other words, incontrovertible proof that keyboarder is a troll.

I dispute that, lol,lol............

• Like 1

Yes but as Mr Sausages and Ans have pointed out - taxi's have a for hire light on them for a reason. If they used them as they're supposed to less idiots would jump out into the road pissed off about not getting a taxi.

I have to call 'bullshit' on that. Having worked the vast majority of Saturday nights over the last 10+ years, I can state with absolute authority that it doesn't make the slightest difference whether the roof light is on or off - or even whether there's a roof light in place at all. Drunken idiots try to stop any vehicle they can.

ans

Yesterday, 04:09 PM Post #35

QUOTE(Lonan3 @ Apr 1 2008, 03:54 PM)

yes, it is illegal for a private vehicle to park on a taxi rank

No it isn't.

Yes it is. Quite a number (although nowhere near enough IMO) have been fined for doing so.

thesultanofsheight

Yesterday, 07:50 PM Post #40

Even if you phone for a taxi its no guarantee you won't have to wait for ages.

And maybe they could stop all this rubbish about all island Taxi licenses to make the current situation worse. They're just bricking it about the value of over hyped taxi plates plummeting. For most people it will make no damn difference to the level of (rubbish) service you get from the taxi industry here.

It will make a considerable difference to anyone who doesn't live in Douglas. We already have a prime example of an area that used to be well served until it's cars were allowed to work in Douglas. Since then the service (and I'm being polite, here) has become spasmodic at best.

As for a 'rubbish service,' a completely independent survey gave the lie to that one (available HERE despite the government trying to bury it because it didn't support their views!). In fact, it shows that we have a better service than most places in the UK.

I have to call 'bullshit' on that. Having worked the vast majority of Saturday nights over the last 10+ years, I can state with absolute authority that it doesn't make the slightest difference whether the roof light is on or off - or even whether there's a roof light in place at all. Drunken idiots try to stop any vehicle they can.

I have to call bullshit on your calling bullshit. Not everyone out at that time of night is a drunken idiot, a lot of people just want to get home and as I've *never* attempted to flag down a taxi with its light off (as rare as they are), my original statement that less people would attempt to is true.

You want to lump your entire customer base into one category then fine, but it really does highlight the contempt you must have for them.

Yes it is. Quite a number (although nowhere near enough IMO) have been fined for doing so.

Maybe all those other ones were just getting a sandwich.

Oh, and it's not illegal.

It will make a considerable difference to anyone who doesn't live in Douglas. We already have a prime example of an area that used to be well served until it's cars were allowed to work in Douglas. Since then the service (and I'm being polite, here) has become spasmodic at best.

Supply and demand. If the demand for taxis in any area exceeds the supply, then anyone with half a brain would see there is money to be made there. As a taxi driver, I see how you would find it difficult to apply that criteria to yourself though.

Oh, and it's not illegal.

IOM Gov: Ply for hire taxi and private hire demand study (sect 10.24). "...there appears to be little regard for the offence of parking on a taxi rank. That is why it is to be hoped that the account of this survey is read by the Department for Home Affairs as well as the other interested parties."

I have to call 'bullshit' on that. Having worked the vast majority of Saturday nights over the last 10+ years, I can state with absolute authority that it doesn't make the slightest difference whether the roof light is on or off - or even whether there's a roof light in place at all. Drunken idiots try to stop any vehicle they can

I have to say Lonan has a point here.

On the odd occasion I've had the displeasure of driving along Douglas prom in the early hours of a Fri or Sat, the amount of drunken idiots jumping out directly in front of you is scary.

I sometimes feel like I'm on the set of Dawn of the Dead trying to escape the zombies.

In fact I'm sure a limb or two has gotten trapped in my wipers every on occasion.