Cyclists On The Prom Walkway

Slim

Incoming bleat!

Just been for a nice walk along the prom with my kids, they brought their micro scooters. My boys only five and can't go as fast as the other two, so they circle back to us a lot. My youngest girl, nine, was doing just this when a cloud of eight or so spandex clad supercyclsists come tearing along at 20+ mph yelling at her to get out of the way. When they fly past, not slowing down I might add, one of them shouts 'fucking hell' at her. She's nine for craps sake, having a fun time playing on the prom, it's bad enough nearly killing her, but swearing at her too? I bellow after them, but of course they're too uber to stop, twats.

I've a lot of sympathy for cyclists, I ride myself on roads, and it's a pretty grim experience some drivers are considerate, but many are not. You'd think cyclists who have frequent experience of inconsiderate road users would know what it's like and not want to treat those down the food chain in the same way.

Anyway, cars are locked to a 5mph speed limit on the prom walkway, shouldn't bikes be too? If you want to go that quick, get on the road, not on the walkway.

I don't understand why a bunch of geared up cyclists would be using that lane. It's for people wanting a leisurely crawl along the seafront isn't it? Real cyclists would be covered in mud in a forest or being wind burned haring down the Mountain Mile.

Have two lanes, one for children and normal reasonable people and the other for Spandex twats who want to be idiots.

Swearing at a child, how mature is that?

Yes there should be a speed limit i'm sure being hit at 30 on a pushbike can still cause injury, as for the ones you mentioned they sound like a bunch of arrogant spandex wearing twats!

That's well out of order, shame you didn't have something heavy to throw at him then maybe you could have wrapped his bike around his no doubt skinny little neck.... <_<

Regardless of there being a designated cycle lane, it's commonsense to take a cautious approach when children are clearly going to be in the vicinity.

I'm sure your conscience will be perfectly at ease after killing or maiming a children when you plough into them, knowing you had right of way.

Edited by Speckled Frost

There's a designated cycleway on the prom, who/who wasn't in it?

She was half in and half out, ish, which was about the same as the spandex cloud. Besides the point really though, as she was on wheels herself, she just doesn't go as fast as them, or in the same direction. It's a daft cycle lane anyway, you've got to walk on it to get to the beach, it's not big enough for two way traffic, and it encourages people to ride inconsiderately.

Speckled Frost has it spot on, it's a prom, not a cycle racetrack.

Albert, I wondered that. Wonder who'd know?

I tend to use it if I'm on my way home from somewhere as the road on the prom is absolutely awful to cycle on with a terribly uneven surface and tram tracks to contend with. Even when you're going as slowly and carefully as possible, there's always some unpredictable spacky kid getting in your way, or extra long dog lead across the cycle path, etc. So it's not really the place to be doing 20mph, but if someone jumps in your way without looking you'll probably think/say "fucking hell".

Old Git: I've emailed the police to ask if there's a limit. This isn't the first time this has happened to me when I'm down there with the nippers.

I tend to use it if I'm on my way home from somewhere as the road on the prom is absolutely awful to cycle on with a terribly uneven surface and tram tracks to contend with. Even when you're going as slowly and carefully as possible, there's always some unpredictable spacky kid getting in your way, or extra long dog lead across the cycle path, etc. So it's not really the place to be doing 20mph, but if someone jumps in your way without looking you'll probably think/say "fucking hell".

I understand that, this wasn't like that. They could see her in the way for long enough to be yelling at her to get out of the way. They could have used that time to slow down, but no, they kept charging on, and the swearing was clearly because she dared to be in their cycle path, these spandex super heroes on two wheels, not because she'd jumped out at em or surprised them.

I'm down with the whole fustration of slow moving humans myself, I suffer it all the time because I walk fast and am always getting stuck behind dawdlers. I just think this is an innaproproate place to be doing speed, and an appology for nearly killing your kid would go down better than her being swore at.

She was half in and half out, ish, which was about the same as the spandex cloud. Besides the point really though, as she was on wheels herself, she just doesn't go as fast as them, or in the same direction. It's a daft cycle lane anyway, you've got to walk on it to get to the beach, it's not big enough for two way traffic, and it encourages people to ride inconsiderately.

Speckled Frost has it spot on, it's a prom, not a cycle racetrack.

Agreed on all counts. On face value it was a bit of a daft question however I saw a group like that and they were three or four abreast. Unfortunately I couldn't get in their way in time.

My thoughts of the limit for cycles being 5mph are confirmed here (See Public Works Committee section 14). "Resolved, That the correspondence be noted on the minutes and the proposals supported in principle, with the exception of the extension of the cycleway onto North Quay. It was suggested that currently cyclists using the Promenade cycleway regularly exceed the 5mph speed limit, even using it for race training.”

Either way - if there's likely to be a hazard/collison and you don't slow down, and you hit/near-miss someone, you'll still get fried by a copper. It may be a cycleway, but people have to cross it, at least to get to the beach.

Old Git: I've emailed the police to ask if there's a limit. This isn't the first time this has happened to me when I'm down there with the nippers.

Might still be worth contacting the Corporation, assuming they are responsible for it and not the Dept of Transport or whoever.

I the Corp are responsible for the introduction of the cycle path on the prom then they seem to have created a situation where pedestrians strolling along the promenade could be endangered by what is hopefully only a small minority of cyclists and they may feel that something needs to be done before anyone is injured. The H&S angle these days may get something done about it.