Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
lectro

Wascally Wabbits

Are coming into my garden and eating my veg and plants. Any ideas on how to keep them at bay without resorting to harming them?

Edited by lectro

Set up a few tables and chairs and make your own mini rabbit restaurant, You can charge them a bit more on rocket salad this time of year.

Are coming into my garden and eating my veg and plants.

Instant do-it-themselves casserole :D

Had sheep get into the garden when we lived across. The only thing they didn't eat was the patch of mint.

I can lend you my cat - she catches and eats them all the time. Counted three piles of fluffy remains in the last week alone - suits me, less money spent on catfood......

I can lend you my cat - she catches and eats them all the time. Counted three piles of fluffy remains in the last week alone - suits me, less money spent on catfood......

I'd rather have rabbits then smelly cats in my garden anyday.

Once upon a time I worked at a golf course. The solution to the rabbit problem was filling their holes in (matron). But of course they dug themselves out. So broken glass was poured down the hole, and it was filled in again. They can't dig themselves out with shredded paws, you see. Elmer Fudd never thought of that.

Chicken wire dug in to the ground at least two foot down might help.

Alternatively, the ferret and the rabbit don't see eye to eye but ferrets are not known for pacifist tendancies when coming across a bunny down a hole so some casualties are likely.

We used to put arsenic down their burrows when I worked on the railway, dry day and it was fine, as soon as they licked their paws though.

Are coming into my garden and eating my veg and plants. Any ideas on how to keep them at bay without resorting to harming them?

I can't see you getting shut of them without harm.

If it makes you feel better rabbit tastes nice.

Try one of the gardening websites

Edited by Sneak

try an dummy owl on the fence, but it depends on how many carrots they have been eating as to how good their eyesight is :P

better fence wire may help stop them getting in though

Edited by Tempus Fugit

Any ideas on how to keep them at bay without resorting to harming them?
Humane Wabbit Traps.

Be aware that at certain times of the year you may leave baby wabbits to starve to death if you force mummy wabbit to do a 'pickfords'.

_

Edited by Albert Tatlock

Picture of Mother in Law has worked well overnight in keeping them at bay.

The humane trap got me thinking though - as there are hundreds of the buggers in the fields behind me so they'll keep coming into the garden - is it worth trapping them and selling to a butcher or restaurant? Is there a market for rabbit?

I looked up the solution to your problem for you,lectro.

Now, it seems that what you have to do is get either a wolf or a coyote ( I suppose both would be even better)Then collect a reasonable quantity of fox urine and pour this into four little bottles.Cut two airholes out of the sides of the bottles and place around the garden.

Apparently, the little bottles of fox urine will keep the wabbits out of the garden. The site I used didn't mention what you are meant to do with the wolf or the coyote, but it definatly said you should get one.

On the other hand, if you wanted to make money out of them, they make really cute hot water bottle covers. I've seen them in M&S. :)