Hello

I use my laptop at work and at home. Both internet connections are controlled by the firm I work for. They have a block on mp3 downloading, and that prevents me from downloading my favourite podcasts, both through iTunes and my browser.

Is there anyway I can get round this? I can download zip/rar files without any bother, so I was wondering if there was anywhere online that could convert files to other formats online, so that I can download.

I am not trying to get illegal content from the web, nor am I wanting to discuss the ethics of bypassing corporate filters! I've got a 24 hour trip back to the island next week & I want something decent to listen to other than the music on the ipod.

Any help much appreciated.

Anything with 'proxy' also gets hit my the filter and I get greeted with this:

This page is forbidden due to corporate WEB Access Policy

https is sussed out too. Pesky Russians!

I have an FTP server. Is there anyway I can use something like Putty to get hold of it and direct it to my webspace?

Anything with 'proxy' also gets hit my the filter and I get greeted with this:

https is sussed out too. Pesky Russians!

I have an FTP server. Is there anyway I can use something like Putty to get hold of it and direct it to my webspace?

If you can get your podcasts onto your ftp server (if it is remote) , perhaps you could rename the files remotely (change extension to .doc or something) via putty then download 'em?

Only if you've got a shell account. You could always buy a shell account somewhere cheap, get the mp3, rar them up then download them to your machine. Assuming SSH is allowed, if its as restrictive as it sounds, I'm guessing you're only allowed http and https out.

Have you got a computer or server outside the corporate firewall?

What I do is have OpenSSH on port 443, and tunnel in with putty (which can tunnel over squid proxies or the like) and use SOCKS forwarding on the local end to tunnel through it. As slim said, if it's as restrictive as it sounds you're going to need something on the other end.

when you are presented this message is there any branding on there to identify the software being used to restrict your content? webmarshal, websense etc?

the source of the page may have some info. what does the url look like, does it redirect you to an internal ip?

Hello

I use my laptop at work and at home. Both internet connections are controlled by the firm I work for.

In what way is your home connection controlled by work? If it is just a standard ADSL line and you VPN to your work then just don't launch the VPN and set IE or what ever browser you are using for a direct connection to the internet when you are at home.

In what way is your home connection controlled by work? If it is just a standard ADSL line and you VPN to your work then just don't launch the VPN and set IE or what ever browser you are using for a direct connection to the internet when you are at home.

Quite a few companies who pay for adsl to home users give them a locked down router that vpns in hardware, and don't give the staff the adsl logins so they can't use the line. Keeps the vpn users under policy and all that.

when you are presented this message is there any branding on there to identify the software being used to restrict your content? webmarshal, websense etc?

the source of the page may have some info. what does the url look like, does it redirect you to an internal ip?

It's websense