I'm looking for a new but cheap laptop to do some college work, excell, word, internet and probably vista now.

Any suggestions for around $400 to £500

are Acer reliable these days?

Had three. They're great, apart from all the shite that comes pre-installed with the OS. But I guess that's pretty common practice these days.

The two sites linked above are both very reputable and good value. i personally wouldn't buy over here as you'd probably pa £100-150 more for the same laptop as the ons shown above. (That was my experience when I bought my Acer laptop last year - local shop ws £150 more than the same deal off the internet)

The Dells (vostros and xps') are normally good value for money if you find a decent one, and the build quality nowadays seems to be spot on. Be careful what upgrades you choose if you go that route though, as they'll charge you arm and leg for simple upgrades which you can do for cheap (I think same applies with most manufacturers though)

I would highly recommend any of HP's new G6000 range, I recently bought the G6060EA for my parents (£420 play.com)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK57 1.9GHz

2GB RAM

160GB HDD

NVIDIA GeForce 7000M Graphics

Vista Home Premium

Dual layer super multi DVD writer

Integrated webcam and microphone

Plus all the usual etc...

There is also a cheaper option (G6060EA) with a 120GB HDD for £380, I was very impressed with the styling and even more impressed when it managed to run my brothers world of warcraft on mid to high settings with little effort.

My girlfriends son's birthday is fast approaching and he has asked for a laptop for school and gaming, I think Ive settled on one of HP's DV6700 series (DV6750EA) £450 direct from HP with a 10% discount you can easily find online.

The Dells (vostros and xps') are normally good value for money if you find a decent one, and the build quality nowadays seems to be spot on. Be careful what upgrades you choose if you go that route though, as they'll charge you arm and leg for simple upgrades which you can do for cheap (I think same applies with most manufacturers though)

I'd also recommend trying Dell.

I would highly recommend any of HP's new G6000 range, I recently bought the G6060EA for my parents (£420 play.com)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK57 1.9GHz

2GB RAM

160GB HDD

NVIDIA GeForce 7000M Graphics

Vista Home Premium

Dual layer super multi DVD writer

Integrated webcam and microphone

Plus all the usual etc...

That's not a laptop I'd buy, sorry. It's all last gen parts, pretty typical of a corporate manufacturer like HP who change their specs very slowly. Far better off going with a cheaper outfit that's more likely to use later bits like dual core and the more up to date nvidia parts, that 7 series gpu is 3 years old.

The DV6750 I mentioned above has both an Intel core 2 duo cpu (the athlon 64 x2 is also dual core) and NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS graphics which is exactly what you will find in the bottom end Dell XPS systems for a higher price.

I recommended the above as manxy only stated runnig applications such as excel and IE and in that price bracket alot of manufacturers will only include X3100 Mobile shared Graphics.

Edited by Virtual_Boy
The DV6750 I mentioned above has both an Intel core 2 duo cpu (the athlon 64 x2 is also dual core) and NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS graphics which is exactly what you will find in the bottom end Dell XPS systems for a higher price.

I recommended the above as manxy only stated runnig applications such as excel and IE and in that price bracket alot of manufacturers will only include X3100 Mobile shared Graphics.

Aye, but the acer for a similar spec is loads cheaper:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3477577/Acer...ok/Product.html

HP are great for work and all, just not that great as a cheap laptop in my opinion.