Clicky well touch maybe.

I'm not sure if this is a sensible way to go for full size boxes. I'd rather see a viable speech system.

Opinions - views?

It's like a massive iPhone screen. Can see it on laptops but not on workstations or in the office, screens would have to be much closer than they are now.

2010 they say? Lets add on say another two years for delays, by that time there will be 7 new ubuntu releases! If it keeps going as strong as it has been doing then why anyone would stick with windows is beyond me.

2010 they say? Lets add on say another two years for delays, by that time there will be 7 new ubuntu releases! If it keeps going as strong as it has been doing then why anyone would stick with windows is beyond me.

So you dont have to deal with 7 major OS upgrades over the same time period?

I have Ubuntu in a VM enviroment - its rubbish.

Care to come up with any mindful opinions on what's so bad other then 'its rubbish'?

I personally love major OS upgrades, exciting new features, new look and improved functionality, and alllll for free. What could be better? You can hardly prefer to pay an extortionate amount of cash for something that does the job even better. Sure, you might need to have a basic knowledge on computers to be able to find open source alternatives, but there's everything the basic user would ever need from the great library of programs available in one click. The latest version of ubuntu would beat hands down windows vista. Vista would fall flat on its face. Sure XP was a decent operating system but it's fairly boring now.

The latest version of ubuntu would beat hands down windows vista. Vista would fall flat on its face.

Im genuinly interested into hearing how you can justify that.

The latest version of ubuntu would beat hands down windows vista. Vista would fall flat on its face.

Im genuinly interested into hearing how you can justify that.

Well for a start (wth vista), when you go to buy it, you have to make a choice between 4 versions. A money grabbing tactic. Then there is the price itself. Then it's a pain to setup without the exact right drivers. For instance on my new dell , when my harddrive conked out, the sent someone out to replace it, upon installing vista again using the latest drivers (and with an older revision) vista just stopped responding when installing. Eventually had to use a driver for a different model. Then there is the choice of software (see reply to next quote). Then there is the horrible 'assistant' thing. Every time you wish to do something, 'are you SURE you want to do this'. Annoying ta fook. Sure you can turn it off but there really is no need for it in the first place. What exactly are you paying for? An unstable OS with a 'new' graphics system aero, which does not even ship on all versions of vista. Plus, on ubuntu there is a thing called compiz which is superior to aero to many people. There's some videos on youtube comparing the two. If you want more problems with it, do a search of google, there are a vast amount of unsatisfied customers.

Okay so ubuntu, free, installed without any problems, fast install, update to most of the programs you have installed from one update application, easy to use interface, a vast amount of free software to go with it, helpful and friendly forum, free and easy updates to new OS versions, get to try them out during each alpha and beta stage, very customisable, you can run most of your programs for windows (in the very unlikely chance you cannot find an adequate open source equivalent) through WINE, which is regularly updated.

but there's everything the basic user would ever need

and that.

You obviously haven't been in there. What would a basic user need? Music software, lots of free games, open office, chat software, picture editing software? There are hundreds of programs, all that a basic user would ever need, all in one place, whereas with windows, you have to scour the web to find what you are looking for.

I have Ubuntu in a VM enviroment - its rubbish.

I have Ubuntu on a desktop. Use it all the time and it's excellent. The future dominance of Linux is an economic inevitability IMO.

I still have a copy of Windows XP running under Parallels on a Mac. One of the worst things about Windows has been the way in which an installation will gradually degrade over time - even with proper maintenance - to the point at which re installation is the only way to make it fresh. And the way in which un installed software invariably leaves crap on a machine.

The Registry was one of the things about the way in which Windows was poorly designed - the way in which program data was pointlessly organized into what was effectively an encrypted database. I see that as a good example of the way in which Microsoft over complicated the design of Windows (and their software in general) - partly, I think, as a result of the way in which (from the early 90s onwards) they attempted, rather pointlessly, to implement tighter application integration within Windows.

Well for a start (wth vista), when you go to buy it, you have to make a choice between 4 versions. A money grabbing tactic.

Not really - its 4 versions that have a specific place for specific users, with a price point to match what they can do and how they fit in.

Then there is the price itself. Then it's a pain to setup without the exact right drivers.

Erm, not unlike Linux at all then - Vista and XP have the biggest driver support of ANY OS. Most of the issues that Windows users experiance is down to poorly written, unsigned 3rd party drivers. Linux from experiance can be absolutly horrific when it comes to driver support - some things just wont work at all and at best you have to do without some of the design features of the hardware.

For instance on my new dell , when my harddrive conked out, the sent someone out to replace it, upon installing vista again using the latest drivers (and with an older revision) vista just stopped responding when installing. Eventually had to use a driver for a different model.

My point exactly - I bet they were unsigned drivers that caused the issue - hardly Microsofts fault now is it?

Then there is the choice of software (see reply to next quote). Then there is the horrible 'assistant' thing. Every time you wish to do something, 'are you SURE you want to do this'. Annoying ta fook. Sure you can turn it off but there really is no need for it in the first place.

As opposed to having to invoke a SUDO then?????

What exactly are you paying for? An unstable OS

No it isnt.

Okay so ubuntu, free, installed without any problems,

For you possibly.

helpful and friendly forum,

Why do you need a forum, I thought it would install painlessly and do everything you required?

free and easy updates to new OS versions, get to try them out during each alpha and beta stage,

<pukes> Why would a "normal" user want to try out Alpha versions for crying out loud?

very customisable, you can run most of your programs for windows (in the very unlikely chance you cannot find an adequate open source equivalent) through WINE, which is regularly updated.

The key thing here is MOST. WINE (or indeed Darwine) wont give you full compatibility with a lot of Windows software - as for open source, please give me examples of how I can do the following:

Collaborate fully with my company and memebers of staff fully through an Exchange server. This *has* to have full functionality.

Render and edit a compliant DWG multi layers file - and keep the standards throughout.

Talk to my iPod and connect to my iTunes account.

Allow me to connect securly to RBSI EQ - or bankline for that matter.

Make a VPN connection from my desktop to a Cisco Checkpoint router.

Connect to and enter data to a SQL2000 or 2005 server.

You see, Im not a big fan of open source and for good reason (did you know that only 20% of the entire technology of the NTFS file system is publicly known) as I dont want anyone sitting in their basement working out how my EFS data works or what it holds.

I reckon that Apple have the right idea, closed software on a bespoke platform - it works and the software is developed solely for the kit they supply, my Macbook is bombproof - but again its not a Windows replacment, as there is stuff it cant do.

Windows is a miracle of software engineering - it works on pretty much any hardware (my Pc is a whitebox) and if you know what you are doing and look after it it will continue to work.

Ubuntu or any other flavour of Linux just doesnt cut it for me.

Im not saying that *nix doesnt have its place as it does, but thats in the single process server model (Apache springs to mind) as a goos *nix server will sit for YEARS and keep going.

but there's everything the basic user would ever need

and that.

You obviously haven't been in there. What would a basic user need? Music software, lots of free games, open office, chat software, picture editing software? There are hundreds of programs, all that a basic user would ever need, all in one place, whereas with windows, you have to scour the web to find what you are looking for.

And that is patently untrue.

Edited by Gavsta
Linux from experiance can be absolutly horrific when it comes to driver support - some things just wont work at all and at best you have to do without some of the design features of the hardware.

The very simple solution to that is to only buy hardware from manufacturers who support open standards. In many cases Open Source communities provide better software than the manufacturers of the devices. In my case I'm thinking specifically about certain rather obscure technical devices. Closed systems are inherently worrying in general and I don't want to get locked into closed architectures - whether that be software or hardware.

As opposed to having to invoke a SUDO then?????
Sudo makes good sense. Nor is it a procedure which can be trivially over ridden by users.

please give me examples of how I can do the following:

Collaborate fully with my company and memebers of staff fully through an Exchange server. This *has* to have full functionality.

Render and edit a compliant DWG multi layers file - and keep the standards throughout.

Why not move toward phasing it out ? Focus on the inevitable - if it's a Windows only solution then it inevitably has no long term future as all computing and data wants to be and will inevitably be platform neutral.

Talk to my iPod and connect to my iTunes account.

Use your Mac until iTunes faces more significant competition. iTunes is great - but notoriously crappy on Windows. The fact that Apple don't support Linux is hardly an argument against Linux. The problem would be about how Apple chooses to do business. I like Macs but I'm bright enough to understand that Apple is just another business.

Allow me to connect securly to RBSI EQ - or bankline for that matter.

Make a VPN connection from my desktop to a Cisco Checkpoint router.

Connect to and enter data to a SQL2000 or 2005 server.

In what way is any of that stuff an issue? If they use Windows only software then the problem is at their end. If it's about them not working with the currently Beta version of Firefox 3 - then, again, the problem is at their end. You'd have to take the VPN issue up with your IT department.

You see, Im not a big fan of open source ..... I reckon that Apple have the right idea, closed software on a bespoke platform

OSX is a graphical interface built on top of FreeBSD which is Open Source. Most of the underlying Unix components are Open Source.

Windows is a miracle of software engineering - it works on pretty much any hardware (my Pc is a whitebox) and if you know what you are doing and look after it it will continue to work.

Windows is hacked together. Continually making it backwardly compatible has resulted in a system which is ridiculously bogged down and bloated yet which has no chance of being usable on systems built using the hardware which would require that backward compatibility. Meanwhile - even a properly maintained Windows system degrades over time and ultimately needs to be re installed. Especially if software is ever added or removed.

Vista would have been very much better if Microsoft had not tried to make it backward compatible.

I love threads like this.

I use both Linux and Windows daily. Both are very good and both have their places. End of.

So do I, and I agree - Im just trying to get a rise out of the Linux fanboys.