[BBC News] Biker dies in crash on TT course

Newsbot

We were out for a run in the car round the course the other day. My other half is very aware of the bikes and always moves in to let them overtake if they're coming up behind him. He always says he'd rather have them ahead than behind him. In front of us however was a Manx-registered car which appeared to be deliberately hugging the white lines, in an obstinate and misguided effort to stop the bikes from overtaking.

Of course in an ideal world we wouldn't have to make allowances on our own public roads, it IS a pain in the arse getting to and from work during TT etc- but the fact is that a few relatively small allowances made on the road by car drivers would also help to avoid frustration and accidents.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course in an ideal world we wouldn't have to make allowances on our own public roads, it IS a pain in the arse getting to and from work during TT etc- but the fact is that a few relatively small allowances made on the road by car drivers would also help to avoid frustration and accidents.

Totally agree, well said.

In front of us however was a Manx-registered car which appeared to be deliberately hugging the white lines, in an obstinate and misguided effort to stop the bikes from overtaking.

Hmmm. There isn't adequate space for a bike to safely pass a car in a single lane. The only place that a bike can safely pass a car is where there is adequate visibility to overtake by crossing a broken white line.

'Hugging' the white line would not prevent anyone from safely overtaking.

Edited by pongo

In front of us however was a Manx-registered car which appeared to be deliberately hugging the white lines, in an obstinate and misguided effort to stop the bikes from overtaking.

Hmmm. There isn't adequate space for a bike to safely pass a car in a single lane. The only place that a bike can safely pass a car is where there is adequate visibility to overtake by crossing a broken white line.

Of course there is. Much of the course gives enough room for bike riders to safely pass without crossing unbroken white lines if you keep to the left.

Its either that or some chav in a clapped out Impreza giving it the big one thinking he can outrun a couple of Fireblades.

I was following someone back from Douglas earlier in the week and they were also driving right out on the white lines, and also cutting way over it when going round any sort of right hand bend. People doing that at any time of year winds me up, but doing it during the TT, when most of us in cars are being especially careful due to the amount of bikes on the road is shockinhly bad. I actually know someone through work who boasts about the fact he purposely drives as far out as possible so that it's not easy for bikes to pass him.

Another thing that pisses me off is people who are clearly scared of being on the roads during TT (nothing wrong with that in itself), so therefore drive ridiculously slowly and create big tailbacks which rightly or wrongly will more than likely result in other drivers taking risky overtaking manouvres.

I noticed another thing today. There were three reports on the radio saying that cars were blocking ambulance access.

Three Manx number plates. Doh!

They could have been hire cars. Although they probably weren't.

however was a Manx-registered car which appeared to be deliberately hugging the white lines, in an obstinate and misguided effort to stop the bikes from overtaking.

that be prob me in that then, but thats how i allways drive

but it aint to stop them over takeing,

if i drive well over to the left, anythingcan pull out of a gateway/drive, car person, cows, or worse a child chaseing a ball,

if your tight to the left u got no chance really of avoideing them, even if u do, u have the chance that at the same time a biker is over takeing u on the white line with cars comeing the other way, well you going to send the biker to his death aint you while u try to avoid the object to your left,

also even more so at this time of year with farms being so busy, a lot of the field gates are stright on to the road, and thay cant see whats comeing for at least 4-5 ft is out on the road, and if it happins to be u driveing in the hedge at that time, u going to have a set of weights in the side,

i drive near to the line, at all times, the bikes behind me know im there, thay know what im going to do next, i still be there,

near that line, if thay want to overtake that still can, but to be honest theres less risk of them trying to get past with cars comeing the other way, as thay know the room is not there,

I have to say that this year its been clear that there are far too many cars on the roads here and that just makes the extra biking traffic more dangerous. All I have seen is bikers snaking in and out of long queues of relatively slow moving traffic all week and taking really silly risks when the odd opportunity to overtake arrives.

Making the TT Course one way has made it worse because to get onto the course at Ramsey they have had to ride with or against the heavy traffic flow of workers on the only two routes up North. Then when they get on the course its quicker than they could go last year because there are much less bikes about so they go mental. Judging by the accidents the one way system has not really worked this year.

^^ can anyone post a translation of that.......

You took the words out of my mouth, however I'm sure I'll find another thread on that topic!

The bikes are fortunate enough to be slim enough to overtake without always crossing the white lines. This is not illegal, because banning overtaking would be stupid. To give them a little more room to manoeuvre, particularly during TT, is not dangerous, it's courteous. You'll find the bikers are almost always courteous in return, by giving you a wave of thanks as they go past. It goes without saying that I don't advocate overtaking on solid white lines.

IMHO, hugging the white lines does not save children or animals, it makes the driver behind you nervous because they're not sure what you're about to do. Any normal driver who moves out nearer the middle of the road does that to signpost the fact that they are about to turn.

I failed my first test for 'hugging' the white line, my argument was just that, but the examiner told me that you are expected to keep left regardless.

So there.

Having been Ramsey to Peel this afternoon and had wannabee fuckwit racers coming round bends on our side of the road and nearly through the windscreen several times, I was delighted to see some actually getting booked.

If you want to kill yourselves feel free but don't involve other people.