Old Car - Bit Of Advice Please

Hey - this is something of a general query.

I have an old car that has been sat unused for about a year now. It is in need of some repairs, but the age of the car doesn't really justify fixing it up! it's come to decision time now, as I really need to get rid of it.

As far as scraping it - how does that work out? I mean.. is there some place where you are able to sell it for parts and have the place scrap it as well? or should I try and sell it for parts seperately, and then pay for it to be scrapped? really.. i don't know how it works.

There's still some value in the car.. not a lot - but some. I'd hate to just dump it for nothing, but at the same time, wouldn't feel comfortable selling it as a car ! i don't honestly think it's worth buying! =)

any suggestions... please.

Hey - this is something of a general query.

I have an old car that has been sat unused for about a year now. It is in need of some repairs, but the age of the car doesn't really justify fixing it up! it's come to decision time now, as I really need to get rid of it.

As far as scraping it - how does that work out? I mean.. is there some place where you are able to sell it for parts and have the place scrap it as well? or should I try and sell it for parts seperately, and then pay for it to be scrapped? really.. i don't know how it works.

There's still some value in the car.. not a lot - but some. I'd hate to just dump it for nothing, but at the same time, wouldn't feel comfortable selling it as a car ! i don't honestly think it's worth buying! =)

any suggestions... please.

If you decide to scrap it take the car to Manx Metals as they are paying a better price roughly £220 per tonne of clean metal, so you car could get you £100 at least even if its a total wreck

I'd advertise on classified for spares / repairs. YOu will probably find someone who wants parts from it, or has the skills to do it up easily.... However, make sure you get the buyer to sign a disclaimer that you have sold the car for spares/repairs or sold as seen to cover yourself!

The price of steel is very good at the moment. You can get between £60 and £80 at the moment from a scrappie.

What is it anyway?

Edit: If it's got a catalytic converter, pull it off before scapping it and weigh it in separately. You'll get a few more quid for it!

Edited by BigDave