We're having a discussion at work at the moment about the play area in Summerland before Manx Land. The wipper snapper that sits next to me (age 23) said she had her 7th birthday there but can't remember the name. she claims there was a bumpy slide, ball pit, bouncy castles and a climbing frame.

Can anyone help and put her out of her misery and ours. We all think that she's a bit mental and has made it up or that the Men in Black have got to her and wiped her mind and given her a memory change.

I remember going to a party there for sure! Your friend is sane! I don't remember a specific name though - probably just "Play Area". I think it was probably quite unexciting as far as play areas go though!

On the other hand I also remember pre-Jungle World at the crescent too - I think the Fun House? - which definately had a slide with cloth mats you slid down on, a ball pit and a big red and white spiny thing that you had to sit in the middle and see how long you could stay on without falling off. Think it usually involved breaking arms/legs/teeth etc! Also one of the spinning tube things you have to walk through. It was ace :)

We're having a discussion at work at the moment about the play area in Summerland before Manx Land. The wipper snapper that sits next to me (age 23) said she had her 7th birthday there but can't remember the name. she claims there was a bumpy slide, ball pit, bouncy castles and a climbing frame.

Can anyone help and put her out of her misery and ours. We all think that she's a bit mental and has made it up or that the Men in Black have got to her and wiped her mind and given her a memory change.

I'm 22 and i remember the bumpy slide, in fact i'm sure there's an old family video of us playing on it somewhere. Don't remember the climbing frame but there was definitely a ball pit and two bouncy castles, one for the younger kids and one for older. A friend of mine bounced off the bigger castle and cracked his head open.

So yeah it definitely existed but i have no idea what it was called, think it might have just been called the play area.

Facebook memories of the Funhouse Mushroom:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2346923833

Didn't that thing have a metal barrier? The perfect material when it comes to stopping a child who has been hurled off the ride at high speed like a fleshy discus.

The ball pit was the place to be for the child with a bit of savvy. Sure, it wasn't quite as exciting as using the bumpy slide to launch oneself through the air on a doormat, or getting mangled by the mushroom, but at the bottom lay a veritable treasure trove of lost pocket money.

Nah Manxland was the last kids play area with the monorail style thing that never ever ever worked. I think manxland was a lot smaller than the one we used to go to as kids, although that could just be that i was bigger.

Being an old fart I who came to the island on holiday as a kid, I can remember the amusement arcade which was in the area that Manx Land latterly occuped. I can also remember some kind of indoor fair in the Crescent (I think).

I can also remember some kind of indoor fair in the Crescent (I think).

You're right, there was. It was beneath the fun house, in every sense of the word. There were clapped out dodgems, a strange wild west themed shooting range, a tiny ghost train, a great big swinging thing, and what looked like a giant version of those octagonal contraptions they use in raffles.

No one was ever in there due to the fact that kids could play on the gamblers, aracade machines, or simply be entertained for free by the heart stopping carpeting just next door.

There was a bumpy slide, it was at the back of the area on the left (if you were looking from the entrance to the cinema.) The bouncy castle was in the middle and i cant remember where the ball pit was.

There used to be a cracking arcade area at the back aswell, i think that got turned into a store room when they opened manxland.

was it not just called summerland play area... ? - I was too old for it, in my day it was the funhouse / rollerskating / aquadrome and then to griddles for tea!

In the early 80's it was just an arcade area, with a bingo hall where the slot car club was in later years.

The slide was in the far right hand corner as you entered the area, it was originally a sparkly gold colour but they painted it red for some reason and it became less slippery.

At the rear of the small bar/or the snack shop as it later became was a ball pit that was made up of footballs! it had a steep slippery ramp up to it, in later years they purchased a proper ball pit which had foam padded surrounds and that was located just to the right of the main entrance into the area.

There was also a small screen and an old rgb projector showing cartoons between the slide and original ball pool.

There was a climbing frame in the centre of the play area which was made up of plastic globes and inter-connecting tubes, this stretched up to the ceiling and was quite dangerous looking back! The globes had holes in allsides and the top/bottom, which were either connected to another globe or had an orange domed window in.

There was also 2 bouncy castles a white/blue one which was too big for the ceiling hieght so they tied the pointy tops up with rope.

The other was a tiny red/yellow one for toddlers, was good for the older kids to use as a wrestling ring.

There was also a load of foam pvc covered shapes that were good for bashing people with, they weren't there originally but appeared later on towards the end of the old play area era.

Before that there were still a number of arcade machines around like a motorbike on rollers which you sat on and followed a moving dot on the panel in front of you. Also a machine that you blasted a ball with a water cannon round a vertical maze.

And the name, it was just called the summerland play area, or Barry Nobles arcade before that (not to be confused with the one that was opposite Woolworths)