Help With A Car Insurance Claim

If anyone can point me in the right direction with this one I would be really grateful. A guy parked his car next to mine at the weekend in a car park in Douglas. As he opened the door, the windblew it into my car causing a fair amount of damage (some dents and damage to paintwork). The accident was clearly this guy's fault and he didn't try to argue any different.

Anyway, I am ringing him tonight to get his insurance details as he didn't have them with him at the time. My question is...what is the procedure for claiming this on his insurance? Do I have to contact his insurance company or does he? Do I have the choice of where I get the repairs fixed? Do I have to get quotes and submit to the insurance company? Do I need to notify my insurer even though I won't be claiming on my policy?

I've never been in this situtation before, so any info, no matter how small, would be appreciated!

Cheers.

Depends. If you're fully comp then your insurance company will usually deal with it on your behalf. If not you deal direct with his insurers.

The last claim I had to make, the other party gave my details to his insurance company and they called me to make the necessary arrangements.

The small print on my insurance policies has always said you must inform them of any accident/damage, even if it's not your fault (as well as never admit liability etc. even if it 'was your fault'). Phone them, hand over his details, and leave it to them IMO.

(as well as never admit liability etc. even if it 'was your fault')

That's a bit of an awkward clause.

We were rear ended in the UK last year and the other driver was full of apologies and tripping over himself trying not to admit liability as per his insurance policy but at the same time trying to say that he accepted the accident was his fault (we were stationary at the time) and not to get the police involved. It puts the motorist in a very awkward position.

Phone your insurance and they will guide you through what to do, its dead easy but there is loads of paper work and waiting around. Your insurance will have certain garages to get quotes from but they will let you know all theins and outs. Each insurance company is a little different.

Unless you are Adrian Flux - in which case its quicker, easier and cheaper to do it yourself.

and NEVER give them (AF) your mobile number - or some numpty will keep ringing you to see if you were injured.

7 Feb was my accident - sorry 'collision' .... and Im still waiting to get my car back.

If they are with Adrian Flux ..... forget it, and pay out of your own pocket and sue the pants off the other driver yourself.