Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Slim

Haggling

"will have to ask boss", boss was duly asked, no chance, price is as price says, take it or leave it.

Well when you deal with a Pole in an old manx firm you know your on a loser ..... free Ferrari's for everyone. Gratulacje !!!

He He ;)

If I ask for discount I will say debit card. I tend to ask people who offer finance as in my mind they get the full amount quicker instead of in instalments. No idea if that's true but it does work sometimes.

When something is offered on 'Interest Free Credit' it's worth trying for a cash discount. If the goods cost £1000, with a finance deal the supplier will only get, for example £850. The other £150 goes to the finance company as interest on the loan - there is no such thing as 'interest free credit'!

Therefore, you could offer the retailer £850 and he's no worse off than he would be if you took the finance option. The real mugs are the ones who pay full price in cash in situations like this.

It occasionally works this way, but the vast majority of "Interest Free Credit" agreements genuinely do generate interest for the finance company - but that's not from the retailer's pocket so you probably won't get a discount on this basis. They are usually 3 or 4 year agreements with a no-payments for a year, interest free condition but with a monster interest rate if you don't pay it off in full before the 12 months finish.

More people fail to pay it off than do, retailer gets sticker price up front and finance company makes a packet. Nice.