Should Abortion Be Illegal On The Island?

Chinahand

Should abortion be illegal on the Island?  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorry Bees still cant quote on this forum

I thought it was medical reasons only didn't think psychiatric reasons would allow you to have an abortion here, but I could be wrong no personal experience, but I am aware of someone who had the procedure here in respect of a spina bifida pregnancy.

ETA it would be interesting to know if that information was true - might go and read Hansard properly!

Edited by JessTickle

The mental health record sharing thing, is only relevant if it's linked to your police record, for e.g. the person I was talking about used depression to get a lesser sentence in court, it was linked to their criminal record so came up when social services (and/or a new employer) checked. I think it would be pretty bad for the health services to be sharing that info, I often wonder where the papers get their statements "Mr So&so had a history of mental health issues" from, anyone know? Sorry for going off topic.

Sorry Bees still cant quote on this forum

I thought it was medical reasons only didn't think psychiatric reasons would allow you to have an abortion here, but I could be wrong no personal experience, but I am aware of someone who had the procedure here in respect of a spina bifida pregnancy.

ETA it would be interesting to know if that information was true - might go and read Hansard properly!

In recent years, legislators in all three jurisdictions have taken steps to legalize abortion under certain circumstances, despite great opposition among certain segments of the islands’ population. In 1995, the Isle of Man enacted the Termination of Pregnancy (Medical Defences) Act. Under the Act there are three grounds for the performance of legal abortions: (a) when two physicians are of the good faith opinion that it is necessary to preserve the life of the pregnant woman; examples include the situation in which the continuance of the pregnancy involves a substantial risk (other than such risk as is normally associated with pregnancy and childbirth) to the life of the pregnant woman greater than if the pregnancy is terminated and the situation in which termination of the pregnancy is necessary to prevent grave permanent injury to the physical or mental

health of the woman (throughout pregnancy); (b) when two physicians are of the good faith opinion that the child, if carried to full term, would be unlikely to survive (throughout pregnancy) or would suffer from serious handicap (up to 24 weeks); and © when two physicians are of the good faith opinion, as substantiated, that the pregnancy has resulted from rape, incest or alleged assault (up to 12 weeks). In addition, an emergency abortion can be performed at any time with the approval of only one physician.

Albert

I think that attempting humour on this thread is in pretty poor taste.

Why, just because it is about abortion? That's ridiculously precious, especially for A.T.s joke. Joking about a rape victim having an abortion might be tasteless. Talking about an underage person who knows little of sex and pregnant having to undergo an abortion is tasteless. But, in general, abortion is such a matter-of-course process and mundane human behaviour in society nowadays that I don't see why it is a careful area for jokes.

It happens all the time and it's completely legal. Just because people who get pregnant get upset about it doesn't mean its taboo. Get real.

Abortion is murder.

Abortion is ALWAYS murder.

There is NEVER a justification for abortion.

NEVER.

The question should then be "should murder be legalised on the island?"

Abortion is murder.

NEVER.

Only for god-botherers.

Abortion is murder.

NEVER.

But you can wait til the kid comes out and backtalks you then stone it to death, right?

Abortion is murder.

NEVER.

Only for god-botherers.

Only some of them.

Controversial comment below and looking at it from a different angle.

If churches/faiths believed in resurrection and if dying is just the end of one cycle to begin another, then wouldn't the unwanted unborn baby be better born again with people who want a child?

• Like 1

Controversial comment below and looking at it from a different angle.

If churches/faiths believed in resurrection and if dying is just the end of one cycle to begin another, then wouldn't the unwanted unborn baby be better born again with people who want a child?

Why should a person's life and death be determined by the arbitrary whim of another person's wants? There's a word for that: murder.