Prank Phonecalls

DjDan

Prank Calls  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Over the last 2 months my wife had been receiving a number of prank phone calls on her mobile. This has stopped over the last two weeks (as we reported it - which i will come to) but on one particular night it was 5 phone calls from 12:30am onwards and the next morning again 3 times.

If they rang and i was there, I would hold the phone to my ear and listen to see if i could pick up on anything. They would mostly just make noises... but sometimes speak too. It was two lads, one would talk, the other laugh in the background.

Anyway, we reported it to Manx Telecom and they have now phoned my wife and told her that they have traced the number - and they have all the details of the person. The person is on the Island... but they cannot tell my wife who it is due to data protection!!

The only thing they can do is ask us to make a report to the police and then the police can follow it up.

Now.. what to do:

I don't want to contact the police because I don't see it as a matter of that significance - and it'd be kinda wasting police time. However, I really want to know who did it - and Manx Telecom are apparently unable to tell us - so if we want to know, we have to take it to the police.

Why I want to know?

Well... I wouldn't mind so much if my wife worked in an office. The chances are the call would be totally random.

However, my wife works in a school with lots of children 12-18 and the concern is it could be someone she is teaching. Also, on one night when they rang, and i held the phone to my ear, the lad was saying things of a sexual nature and i 99% sure said "i want to ....... your black .........". Now that caught my attention (besides this being a call in the night... and half asleep while listening) because my wife is African.

So really... i feel there's a good chance that the calls are not random... and the person knows her. Most likely then, it is a student from her school. This is all 'possibility' cause' really... we have no idea. But it's not nice knowing that it could be someone from her class that has her number and has been phoning like that.

So... just wondering if anyone has been in a situation of identifying a prank caller and what to do? The police route seems very extreme and i don't feel is necessary - other than the fact that we really want to know the name of the prank caller (and involving the police seems to be the only way we can find out)!

If you were in our situation, would you report it to police?

Or do you happen to know the way that police would deal with it?

Cheers!

Edited by DjDan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are as loathed to report him as it would seem...you could just change the phone number.

On the other hand though, I'd think about the following: if he is calling your wife and you don't report him even if you change the number, he may well go on to do something more serious to her or someone else in the future. I'd go for the compromise that you want the cops to speak to him and caution him to stop - at least making him think about what he is doing, and allowing the cops to let him know the seriousness of it if it carries on. Even if it's a prank that's out of hand, it still needs dealing with.

What if you do nothing and he starts hanging around the house next? Whatever you do though, put your family first. It isn't rocket science for the cops to trace the number and catch the bloke, but beware these things can sometimes escalate if you are not careful.

The cops are the best to judge this guy's actions, not you - so report it.

If you are as loathed to report him as it would seem...you could just change the phone number.

On the other hand though, I'd think about the following: if he is calling your wife and you don't report him even if you change the number, he may well go on to do something more serious to her or someone else in the future. I'd go for the compromise that you want the cops to speak to him and caution him to stop - at least making him think about what he is doing, and allowing the cops to let him know the seriousness of it if it carries on. Even if it's a prank that's out of hand, it still needs dealing with.

What if you do nothing and he starts hanging around the house next? Whatever you do though, put your family first. It isn't rocket science for the cops to trace the number and catch the bloke, but beware these things can sometimes escalate if you are not careful.

Jesus Christ Albert talk about scaring the shit out of someone!!!!!

My advice would be contact the Police as that is what they are paid to to, no matter how trivia you believe this to be.

Last Ten

Jesus Christ Albert talk about scaring the shit out of someone!!!!!

It's god's will that I do this ;)

I had a similar problem quite a few years ago with someone phoning my missus who was then a nurse, and it was quite a scary bloke.

Thanks for the response received... I am talking with my wife about this and letting her know your views.

Just one thing i forgot to add... the last time he rang, he rang shwoing this number: 01782 627032

All other times until then it was "no number". The odd thing is, this number is from Stoke.. and it is not a real number! I immediately rang it back to check, and there was no dial tone.. only a "beep" which is like the wrong number tone you hear. Even Manx Telecom were puzzled.

It was the same guy, because he spoke to me on that number.

My guess is it's some sort of prank phonecall number he used maybe on the internet?? i have no idea how it all works. But Manx Telecom definately traced the other calls to the Isle of Man.

I am also a teacher and had a very abusive phone call made to me school. It went something like this....

"I'm gonna kill you Miss *****, I'm gonna kill you (My first name here!), I've got a gun under my bed and I'm gonna kill you!! You've been messing with my wife you *****" Followed by more shouting and screaming and abuse.

The call made no sense as the voice didn't seem old enough to have a wife and I wasn't aware of having any fall outs with anyone.

Anyway, my school phoned the police because the call was made to school (left on answer machine).

They took statements and recordings of the call. They didn't trace the call as they said it would take up too much police time (which I do understand).

They wont tell you who made the calls even if they do find out as they would worry about you taking a baseball bat to them!!

They may caution the person though which is worth doing.

Contact the police so it is on record.

The people involved need to be told by someone in authority that there behaviour is unacceptable.

Report it to the police.

I can understand the law which means MT cannot divulge the information so it is impossible to do it any other way.

Provided its a first time offense and the people involved are sensible I doubt if anything more than a talking to in the station will ocur - not wasting alot of police time DjDan(though the racial element in my mind makes it more serious - though unfortunately I don't think the IOM has racial insightment laws). It is not impossible that they are doing the same thing to other people in which case further action may be necessary - magistrate or whatever. In which case reporting it will be even more necessary.

The stoke number may well be from Skype.

I have a deal with Skype for free calls to unlimited UK land lines. They then give me a choice of english numbers for people to call me back, as they dont deal with MT i chose a Liverpool number, this numbers links direct to Turkey at local rates.

Dont mess about Dan, its no prank, there is no humour intended---go to law, its the right thing to do.

i too vote to call the police. It sounds like they are getting their kicks from harassing a teacher, in your case your wife has you but they may also be ringing another teacher who is alone and too frightened to do anything.

It is victimization, it may feel trivial, but it is not, and it is wrong and should be stamped out.

forget about finding out who it is though, it wont do you any good to confront them.