Really, what is the matter with some people? I have never known such a judgmental, cruel and insulting group of people, there are no need for insults whatsoever, it is very childish. It is not spam, grow up people.

No signing from me, they are there to SUFFER for their crimes, and creature comforts like smoking should be taken away from them, as should daylight and air in certain cases.

EDIT - I had forgotten why I quoted you, then I remembered, fuck off ;)

You made me laugh Bob :lol:

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What, into her house?

The inference is a suicide. Do I win?

Not quite. Albert Tatlock rarely applies logic.

Posted Images

Link

According to the editor of the Prisons Handbook, Mark Leech, two-thirds of crime is drug-related and Home Office research has shown that 643 drug addicts were responsible for well over 70,000 offences in one three-month period.

Wow, Amazing info!

70,000 offences too many :(

According to the editor of the Prisons Handbook, Mark Leech, two-thirds of crime is drug-related and Home Office research has shown that 643 drug addicts were responsible for well over 70,000 offences in one three-month period.

Wow, Amazing info!

Maybe not such amazing info.

This is about 9 offences per person per week - one offence every weekday and two at weekends per drug addict would do this. It might be fairly safe to assume well over 70,000 drug offences could be committed by this number of addicts in 91 days. (let alone any offences other than possession, selling etc. of illegal drugs).

Edited by Skeddan
www.ipetitions.com/petition/jurby_smoke

If you agree smoking should be allowed in Jurby prison please go to the above and sign. Smoking in cells is allowed in Enlish prisons so why is the Isle of Man so different?

Having your freedom taken away is sureley enough????

Let them smoke!

expecthell1al4.gif

Wow, Amazing info!

Maybe not such amazing info.

This is about 9 offences per person per week - one offence every weekday and two at weekends per drug addict would do this. It might be fairly safe to assume well over 70,000 drug offences could be committed by this number of addicts in 91 days. (let alone any offences other than possession, selling etc. of illegal drugs).

It looks to me that drugs and offences appear to be linked and those are the reported ones! Sad really :(

I know there's people out there that can 'handle' their drugs and get their personal enjoyment without affecting others, (albeit breaking the law by being in possession) but there's others who steal, cheat and cause havoc to others in society to feed their need for drugs and probably the biggest issue is when it affects others. If drugs didn't cause such problems, then it would change things dramatically and would probably be the same as drinking. Mind you, I'd prefer people to smoke cannabis (not near me thankyou) than to be pissed. Funny set of scales I've got at the moment :huh:

Reference the smoking, I won't be signing that petition and did consider (at one point) setting up an alternate petition against smoking :ban::lol:

I'm told that the prisoners still get their smoking tubes? which do not emit smoke and it's the fumes that I'm strongly against. Invent a smokeless cigarette and carry on, as long as it doesn't affect me or my family.

(Note: these are my viewpoints and hopefully they are not deemed as personal against other forum writers as they were not meant to be. There are opinions that I don't agree with and accept other persons opinions are not the same as mine, which is good, as it makes things a bit hot at times) :thumbsup:

It looks to me that drugs and offences appear to be linked and those are the reported ones! Sad really :(

I know there's people out there that can 'handle' their drugs and get their personal enjoyment without affecting others, (albeit breaking the law by being in possession) but there's others who steal, cheat and cause havoc to others in society to feed their need for drugs and probably the biggest issue is when it affects others. If drugs didn't cause such problems, then it would change things dramatically and would probably be the same as drinking. Mind you, I'd prefer people to smoke cannabis (not near me thankyou) than to be pissed. Funny set of scales I've got at the moment :huh:

Reference the smoking, I won't be signing that petition and did consider (at one point) setting up an alternate petition against smoking

I'm told that the prisoners still get their smoking tubes? which do not emit smoke and it's the fumes that I'm strongly against. Invent a smokeless cigarette and carry on, as long as it doesn't affect me or my family.

I think the drugs or drug in question is heroin, is it not? Or possibly amphetamines as well. I know you can become psychologically dependent on any drug but heroin is the one where the addiction is so strong. I mean cannabis smokers would hardly be put into a real state and go out on the rob if they cannot get a few joints worth.

Reference the smoking, I won't be signing that petition and did consider (at one point) setting up an alternate petition against smoking

I can only asume that you would be a proponent of banning cigarettes completely for all people.

You could argue that there should be different wings for smoking and none smoking, but this IMO would be unlikely as the cost of having additional cells and staff would not be cost effective.

I don't know how insulated a cell is but if the prisoner is smoking in their cell, how would it affect anyone else? Besides the cell is the prisoners 'domain'. I just don't see what the reasoning behind an OUTRIGHT ban is. I mean, isn't the ban even extended to when the prisoners are outside?

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

I think the drugs or drug in question is heroin, is it not? Or possibly amphetamines as well. I know you can become psychologically dependent on any drug but heroin is the one where the addiction is so strong. I mean cannabis smokers would hardly be put into a real state and go out on the rob if they cannot get a few joints worth.

I can only asume that you would be a proponent of banning cigarettes completely for all people.

You could argue that there should be different wings for smoking and none smoking, but this IMO would be unlikely as the cost of having additional cells and staff would not be cost effective.

I don't know how insulated a cell is but if the prisoner is smoking in their cell, how would it affect anyone else? Besides the cell is the prisoners 'domain'. I just don't see what the reasoning behind an OUTRIGHT ban is. I mean, isn't the ban even extended to when the prisoners are outside?

reference the above La_Dolce_Vita, I can only speak as to what I know and that is that prison officers have to do daily checks of the cells and therefore I would imagine this is where the problem for none smoking officers are.

With reference to smoking, I have no need or desire to smoke and absolutely detest the stink that smoke produces and the affects of harm it does on people. (I have spoken of a friend who died due to secondary smoke inhalation once before and would hope that you acknowledge my side of things) If however, the producers of cigarettes can come up with something that does not smell and does not harm other people (not bothered about smokers as its their choice), then thats fine by me, but if it harms others, then thats different.

I feel it is more of a human right to breathe fresh air and not to be forced to inhale smoke from another person. That is assault and persons employed at prisons who do not smoke would need to be protected.

mmm, how come smoking can be considered assault when we're all pretty sure car exhausts are equally as bad but we don't really care?

My partner used to smell like a cigarette butt due to smoke on hair/clothing and the difference now is fantastic.

So what? The law banning smoking has quite obviously come in because some people don't like the stink. Is that a valid reason, really??

As for most of the opinions expressed on here so far about criminals in prison, jeez, you're all so fucking right wing. Prison should be for violent attackers, keeping them out of society. Not for people who like an e or a spliff or a line every now and then - or even every weekend. That's who the gaol is full of, and it's ridiculous.

If the prison was full of the violent criminals who really deserved it, like it should be, I'd probably agree.

But as we live in a country where sharing some substances amongst consenting adults gets you a higher prison sentence than murdering your wife or crashing into & killing an innocent bystander whilst driving at twice the speed limit to 'dry your car', then I just despair of you all.

Signed the petition and hope the smoking ban in the prison is overturned. Prison is hell enough for most people without additional forced nicotine withdrawal.

Posted here tonight to show support for you purpleparadise, because I read this forum now and then & the majority of contributors are so far away from my opinion it's untrue. Mostly I just read and say nothing, just feel upset & disgusted by my fellow humans. But now & then I just gotta say something...anything.

these people should'nt be allowed food let alone cigarettes. they knew what they were doing when they committed the crime. LET THEM ROT

There was once when I'd haphazardly agree with you and would say that onceover, I didn't want to listen to any other comment unless it agreed with mine.

In fact (Oh no, I said the word FACT and I'm sure Ans will have something to say about that - lol, I'll settle for a frown Ans) I've disagreed with plenty of people on here in the past and although there are areas that raises my blood pressure and maybe where I'd like to throttle various persons necks from time to time, I realise that everyone has their own views of things, which don't at times, agree with my own.

There are persons who are locked inside that make my skin crawl, some with elastic bands attached to themselves and the jail who seemingly appear to be out for a short space of time before springing back for some misdemeanor or other, some for offences like drugs for which I've spoken of recently and others which maybe should be doing community service rather than prison.

To let them rot on the other hand would most likely break the Geneva Convention and one would hope that they leave prison a better person than before.

The trouble being IMO, is that if they were allowed to rot, give them bread and water etc, etc, they would still eventually leave jail with the likliehood of them feeling a little bitter. Their parents, families, loved ones etc who are paying the price for their decision have to pick up the pieces and I'm told that there's a lot of marriage/partner breakups whilst they're inside.

I'm not saying society should mollycoddle them, neither thrash them, but we should at least treat them with humanity, as it could be you or i that has the misfortune to fall on the wrong side of the law.

(could have wrote for ages, but I'd better go to bed as it's work in the morning)

(Ref Alex) Signed the petition and hope the smoking ban in the prison is overturned. Prison is hell enough for most people without additional forced nicotine withdrawal.

-------

But they're not suffering from forced nicotine withdrawal are they?

Edited by manxy
(Ref Alex) Signed the petition and hope the smoking ban in the prison is overturned. Prison is hell enough for most people without additional forced nicotine withdrawal.

-------

But they're not suffering from forced nicotine withdrawal are they?

No, you are right, they won't be because they will be given replacement treatment. So they won't have any need for the nicotine, though no doubt they will find it difficult, as I have done trying to give, in getting used to not smoking. I do also think that for some life without cigarettes for extended periods might help these people give up for good.

But my issue is with the fact that they are forced to stop smoking. I don't see the problem with things as they are. Why the need to change? And I am not talking about rights or entitlements here, but what is implicit from this legislation is that a person in prison has very few freedoms. Whereas I can understand the mindset of those who wish to see them removed from society, I don't understand that while they are removed they are not to be treated as human beings anymore. If they smoked before, why should they stop while cooped up in that environment. If the wardens have issue with the smoking should it not be them who can choose to wear a mask?

Well, we both know that your statement there blatantly isn't true, and you are a liar.

People on here need to chill out a bit, as Alex said, sems to be the only person on the entire forum without some kind of extremist agenda. Yes, let them rot in prison, if they're convicted child rapists and murderers, not people who enjoy a controlled substance in a controlled environment. People who use drugs aren't idiots, it's idiots who decide to give drugs a go fuck shit up.