When Is The Gents Not The Gents?

Saw this on the news the other night and I couldn't believe what I was hearing, so here it is in black and white Clicky

The 'lady' sponsoring this change stated that using the term "Political correctnes gone mad" was "disablist". Can someone enlighten me and explain how it can be disablist?

How will this change affect this perception? "Trans-gender people can face violence and abuse when they go into toilets and we wanted to provide a place where they can feel comfortable." surely all it will do is inflame the situation with people who don't know any better!!

Any girls out there want to share their toilets with a pretend 'trans' i.e. perv wanting a peek in the ladies?

"After discussion, the women's officer felt the solution would be to change the signs on one set of toilets in the building to `with urinals' and `without urinals' with explanatory signage.

I've worked in plenty of public loos that could do with explanatory signage - point here -> piss down here

...and the ladies loos aren't always much better either

ahh! student politics isn't it cute? People are getting too het up about this it's just a bit of juvenile political horse play. They'll grow out of it - I managed to ban bacon bagels as disrespectful to Jews during my time.

I think I'm in love with the chick with green hair on the news last night. The reporter babbled something about it being "political correctness gone mad" and whereas most political types would have equivocated through an answer blathering about "meeting needs" and shit like that, she just batted it away, didn't even acknowledge the term. And quite right too the term political correctness was invented by reactionaries as a stick to beat progressives with and "political correctness gone mad" is an extension of that. It is her enemy's term not hers and she is right to dismiss it.

She is wrong about the signs though. The solution is simple - let those that identify themselves as male use the gents and those that identify themselves as female use the ladies.

Why not just have one big toilet for everyone, surely the days are gone where men and women have to be segregated!!! It'll be like Ally McBeal won't it!

Seriously though, the toilets at Fabric are unisex and ive seen nothing but fun going on in there!! *ahem* :D

Toilets could be the new "speed dating"

I work closely with the SU at my work and trust me, they love sinking their teeth into anything that will cause a pain in the arse for the management! I think it is all prob a case of that rather than actually caring about the tiny minority of trans gendered students - it is so transparent!

Ah well if it keeps them busy!

I managed to ban bacon bagels as disrespectful to Jews during my time.

Good - I approve.

Bagels are a stupid creation. It's a bloody bap with the middle missing, that you then pay more for because it's a bagel & therefor trendy somehow.

Bagels are a stupid creation. It's a bloody bap with the middle missing, that you then pay more for because it's a bagel & therefor trendy somehow.

You're paying more because there's work involved in removing the centre section to make the hole!

post-1037-1222937975_thumb.jpg

These street toilets take 1 Euro per use. The green light button means it's unoccupied and changes to red when occupied. When coins are inserted, the round door on the corner opens electronically and slides back. When you leave, it is automatically cleaned and disinfected.

That's just a 'super-loo' isn't it? As per they had in the 80s?

Good point about the bagels Static. That's probably what 'they' would tell you and I expect a lot of people would believe it too. :rolleyes:

But didn't some trans-gendered people complained about how they were treated by other women in the toilets?

I don't see how the signage would make women or men bear in mind that transgendered people will be using the same toilets as them. It isn't explicit, but then it would be wrong if it were. I don't see what point it serves

More to the point, transgendered people identify firstly as a man or a woman so why the need to change the signage. There is more of a requirement to alter people's attitudes than the signs.

I remember being told that in a public building a woman complained about a transgendered person using the same toilets as her. The woman was basically told to get lost, with an of why she was being a bigot.

I've got unisex toilets at home and it causes embarrassment neither to family or visitors. The seat positioning rules however remain a contested issue.

In saying this I don't want to appear to be marginalising the afro carribean, caucasian, asian, muslim, trans-gender, vertically challenged, horizontally expanded, single parent, less abled, differently abled, lesbian, gay, bi sexual, confused, bewildered and permanently offended amongst us.