Advertising On Man

i want to ask why some companies advertise on island. you have the MEA, Manx gas, steam packet all advertising in the papers and on the radio. where else are we going to get these services from? this must cost a fortune, when prices are so high for their customers. and to rub salt into the wounds manx gas have the audacity to sponser a team in the TT, wasting money that could be passed on to the customers to reduce their massive bills. im sure as pensioners are freezing this winter they can take some comfort in the fact that somewhere there is a motorcycle being prepared for next years spectator cull, paid for by their winter fuel allowence.

An over-simplistic view.

All the examples you cite are in competitive businesses, gas vs. electric, SPC vs. airlines, so can easily justify the need to spend a few quid on advertising and marketing. Most of them also have seasonal/special offers and can therefore boost sales.

You have to speculate to accumulate.

I always thought it was a symptom of MHKs not really understanding the business they were ruling upon when the decision to stop MEA advertising was made. The MEA was only advertising on its retail appliance side, which has a whole host of competitors, not its electricity supply side which is a monopoly. However, the goons decided that it was distasteful for the MEA to advertise and so they have effectively gagged one area that could, in some small part, contribute to its overall performance and loan repayment.

How wise was that?

Mind you, they have also turned off the pretty lights at the power station and, eventually, replaced the broken glass, shored up by a pallet for over a year, recently so perhaps things are turning around.

Manx Gas - again they are advertising for boiler replacement, servicing etc., which is a competitive market, and the Steammie does have competition from the airlines.

i want to ask why some companies advertise on island. you have the MEA, Manx gas, steam packet all advertising in the papers and on the radio. where else are we going to get these services from? this must cost a fortune, when prices are so high for their customers. and to rub salt into the wounds manx gas have the audacity to sponser a team in the TT, wasting money that could be passed on to the customers to reduce their massive bills. im sure as pensioners are freezing this winter they can take some comfort in the fact that somewhere there is a motorcycle being prepared for next years spectator cull, paid for by their winter fuel allowence.

So lets say Manx Gas stop all advertising and Mrs Qualye in Kirk Michael gets a reduction on her gas bill, great!! She survives another winter. Along comes Manx Petroleums cornering the market with their advertising campaigns, people switch to oil and Manx Gas lose out, oh dear 50% of their business has switched. Less customers, increased operating costs - pass it onto Mrs Quayle to cover costs. Bloody cold for her this winter.

A very poor example by me, but it sorta works like this. It is a competitive market and as others have mentioned you have to speculate to accumulate.

BTW - sponsorship (as in the Manx Padgetts bikes at TT) is pretty much the same as a conventional advert, it's job is to raise the profile of a company and put it in the public eye. I'd also add that some of this cost to Manx Gas (Mrs Quayle's high heating bills) is also covered by selling off partnership sponsorship deals to other smaller companies. Its a little complicated, but if it wasn't necessary in a competitive market, believe me they would put the money to better use, or at least have a good knees-up at the Christmas party.

Of course if you have an idea to help people from freezing this winter, we're all ears (with muffs on of course).

Story's are now coming to light that a certain member of the Manx Government has had to be warned off using his position to steer advertising to certain media.

God bless the local taxi driver network for this information

So you mean it isn't valid information then. Just rumour or what we like to call piffle.

this must cost a fortune, when prices are so high for their customers.

As far as i know Advertising is Tax Deductable. As would alot of the cost of MG sponsoring a class in the TT. They didn't sponsor it all.

Some of the advertising is wasted. I agree now that we have Sure and a few other phone companies having a well deserved go at the market MT need to advertise. But Manx Gas? they still have the monopoly on the anti-pneumonia medicine known as central heating, its just giving some twot a job to keep the numbers up in my opinion. What gets me is, Manx Radio or "The Government's Mouthpiece" are the worst offenders. So we pay taxes to keep the radio station going, then we pay again when they charge to advertise, only on the rock....I know there's a boat in the morning, if I could get a solid promise I might take it.

Story's are now coming to light that a certain member of the Manx Government has had to be warned off using his position to steer advertising to certain media.

God bless the local taxi driver network for this information

So you mean it isn't valid information then. Just rumour or what we like to call piffle.

Yeah, give us names! If it's from a taxi driver it's bound to be true.

Story's are now coming to light that a certain member of the Manx Government

When you say "member of the Manx Government", do you mean someone who is on the Council of Ministers, or just a plain vanilla MLC or MHK? There is in fact a world of difference. In theowy anyway.

What gets me is, Manx Radio or "The Government's Mouthpiece" are the worst offenders. So we pay taxes to keep the radio station going, then we pay again when they charge to advertise, only on the rock....

Why is this an issue? If MR didn't get this ad revenue, it would need more money from tax to make up the shortfall - and the ad revenue would go to other radio stations and IoM Newspapers group. I can understand an issue with why does taxpayer support MR at all - after all what does MR really offer in terms of public service broadcasting - does it really offer any more than it would if it were an independent commercial radio station (?). If anything the gripe should be with a state-owned commercial radio station receiving subsidies and which stifles competition. Without the ads on MR, you'd just be getting commercial radio without the ads.

But Manx Gas? they still have the monopoly on the anti-pneumonia medicine known as central heating, its just giving some twot a job to keep the numbers up in my opinion.

Look up 'Monopoly' in the dictionary. Then think of the different ways people heat their houses. Here's a hint, I don't use Manx Gas to heat my house, I use one of their competitors. As your signature says 'Erm, Ello'...

Oops forgot about oil. Then again they don't advertise much as they are keeping their heads low after the price increases, they have decency, I like that.

And I like your signature too, I like Urbandictionary.com it takes the thinking out of stuff, one day, mayhap if the wind blows in the right direction you might come up with an original one.

I need not your approval, just your disdain.

Edited by Bambster
What gets me is, Manx Radio or "The Government's Mouthpiece" are the worst offenders. So we pay taxes to keep the radio station going, then we pay again when they charge to advertise, only on the rock....

... I can understand an issue with why does taxpayer support MR at all - after all what does MR really offer in terms of public service broadcasting - does it really offer any more than it would if it were an independent commercial radio station (?). Without the ads on MR, you'd just be getting commercial radio without the ads.

Skeddan - in the past I've found some merit in some of your posts, but this is absolute nonsense. Have you ever listened to more than a few minutes a day? Have you ever looked at the schedule? You may not like or be interested in what you hear, but to suggest that Manx Radio doesn't offer a huge range of original public service broadcasting every week is complete idiocy.

Bambster - to put it into context, your contribution to Manx Radio is about 20p a week, so get the boat. Compared to the other things your various taxes and licences pay for, it's hardly worth the upset it clearly causes you.

Skeddan - in the past I've found some merit in some of your posts, but this is absolute nonsense. Have you ever listened to more than a few minutes a day? Have you ever looked at the schedule? You may not like or be interested in what you hear, but to suggest that Manx Radio doesn't offer a huge range of original public service broadcasting every week is complete idiocy.

Stu - maybe you missed the point:

does [MR] really offer any more [public service broadcasting] than it would if it were an independent commercial radio station (?).

There are commercial radio stations that do plenty by way of public service type broadcasting - with interviews, phone ins, local, national and international news, traffic reports, political commentary, farming info, business reports, and so on - albeit to no great standard given commercial budget constraints, ratings drivers etc.

If you look at the programmes that might arguably fit into real public service role 'above and beyond' - Mandate, Agenda, Perspective - these are pretty threadbare - and not much different to what one might find on commercial radio. Does MR really offer any more than it would if it were an independent commercial radio station (?).

Look at it another way - how much of the subvention / taxpayer money goes to these specifically rather than just to subsidising the station as a whole?

I'd think there's an argument for a funding model whereby funding is given for production of public service programmes rather than to the station itself - where this money is soaked up in other 'commercial' radio operations. £50K a month buys a pretty strong news-current affairs capability - are you saying what MR delivers in public service broadcasting above and beyond what it might do anyway as a commercial radio station really represents value-for-money for the amount of taxpayer support it receives?

Or, to put it another way, if production of MR's 'huge range of original public service broadcasting every week' were put up for competitive tender for say £800K odd p.a., would you think MR's output is the best that could be done?