Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
sarahc

Government Cutbacks

Ah - so more a community-parents-kinda thing then? The first post made it look like "no cash - do it yourself". Fell for the troll there... :)

Ah - so more a community-parents-kinda thing then? The first post made it look like "no cash - do it yourself". Fell for the troll there... :)

The title said 'Government Cutbacks', the post said schools (plural). It turns out that really the only story is just 'working bee at local primary school'. ;)

I wonder if Lee54 works for IoM Newspapers? :rolleyes:

It does sound like a good idea to help a child's school, but what happens if the DOE decide its that good they can get shut of the tradesmen they employ. In the event of an accident would a parent be covered by insurance or just paint

It does sound like a good idea to help a child's school, but what happens if the DOE decide its that good they can get shut of the tradesmen they employ. In the event of an accident would a parent be covered by insurance or just paint

No reason why the couldn't be covered by insurance, or sign disclaimers, although I would imagine that the type of people who would volunteer to help paint their community's school would not be 'where there's blame there's a claim' filth. I would applaud the government for encouraging greater voluntary involvement - our communities lack cohesion partly because of the lack of such activity.

Next they will want the parents to drive the school buses.

What happened to protecting jobs, or is sod you mate I'm OK.

Next they will want the parents to drive the school buses.

Bleedin' heck, they might want parents to read with their kids at home.

What happened to protecting jobs, or is it sod you mate I'm OK.

I thought you had to a government approved contractor to work in Schools, well thats what they told me when asked to register.

Edited by victorian dad

I thought you had to a government approved contractor to work in Schools, well that what they told me when asked to register.

If they're volunteering, they're not working.

Nothing wrong with the idea or the principle (Isn't Lee54 just so-oo reminiscet of manxchatterbox etc?)

In fact, how about finding some old buildings that aren't being used (there's a big one on Victori Road at the moment!), employ architects to do the planning, tradesmen to do the important work, and an army of volunteer parents to help in turning them into first-rate youth centres?

Who knows, you might even be able to take it further and get the parents to help run them.

Nothing wrong with the idea or the principle (Isn't Lee54 just so-oo reminiscet of manxchatterbox etc?)

In fact, how about finding some old buildings that aren't being used (there's a big one on Victori Road at the moment!), employ architects to do the planning, tradesmen to do the important work, and an army of volunteer parents to help in turning them into first-rate youth centres?

Who knows, you might even be able to take it further and get the parents to help run them.

Love that idea. It'd make a great music/rehearsal place wouldn't it? A combination of little rooms for solo practice or tuition plus some bigger rooms for bands.

I thought you had to a government approved contractor to work in Schools, well that what they told me when asked to register.

If they're volunteering, they're not working.

That'll be another couple of painters and decorators out of work then.

It seems crazy for the taxpayer to pay someone to do something that someone else is willing and (crucially) able to do for free. We've developed a culture where everything can be bought for a monetary price, but little or no value is assigned to the work done by volunteers. The social and economic value that could be unlocked by more fully leveraging the talents existing within communities for their own benefit is immense, and is a worthier aim for government than job protection.

Where do you stop.

Why not get the parents to come in after work and do the cleaning of the schools. you know the mess the kids make.

Then at the weekend turn up and cut the grass, mark the pitches out ect.

Would you like someone to turn up at your place of work and volunteer to do a job you do for no money at all and put your job at risk, I doubt it.

The amount of posts that have been made complaining about eastern block workers doing locals out of jobs and the many replies of complaint you lot made, well double standards maybe apply.