New To Fishing - Which Is The Best Water To Start On.

The Chief

I am starting flyfishing next season and wondered if anybody could recommend a still water to start on, i have only been to look at Sulby so far and the size of the place is a bit daunting for a beginner. Are some of the other places easier/harder to fish.

Also on the various websites it says that Eairy Dam allows bait fishing, does that mean that it's bait fishing for trout or does it have other species in there(i.e perch, etc)

any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Edited by The Chief

I am starting flyfishing next season and wondered if anybody could recommend a still water to start on, i have only been to look at Sulby so far and the size of the place is a bit daunting for a beginner. Are some of the other places easier/harder to fish.

I like Clypse and Kerrowdoo, not too big, with lots of space behind you for casting and you can get the right side of the wind because you can fish any side of the ressie, which is essential for a bigginner. Baldwins also good, as is Cringle if you're a southie, though it can get busy.

I'd avoid ballure and sulby until you're a bit betterer both need some skill to fish. Consider getting yourself a spinning rod too, you're not allowed to use it on clypse/kerrowdoo but it's nice to have a break from the fly fishing on the other waters.

Also on the various websites it says that Eairy Dam allows bat fishing, does that mean that it's bait fishing for trout or does it have other species in there(i.e perch, etc)

Pretty sure you can do what you like there, but it's not stocked, so anything will be futile as far as I know. Never had any luck there myself.

I like Clypse and Kerrowdoo, not too big, with lots of space behind you for casting and you can get the right side of the wind because you can fish any side of the ressie, which is essential for a bigginner. Baldwins also good, as is Cringle if you're a southie, though it can get busy.

I'd avoid ballure and sulby until you're a bit betterer both need some skill to fish. Consider getting yourself a spinning rod too, you're not allowed to use it on clypse/kerrowdoo but it's nice to have a break from the fly fishing on the other waters.

Also on the various websites it says that Eairy Dam allows bat fishing, does that mean that it's bait fishing for trout or does it have other species in there(i.e perch, etc)

Pretty sure you can do what you like there, but it's not stocked, so anything will be futile as far as I know. Never had any luck there myself.

The Eairy has been stocked a few times this year - I've only tried fishing there once though (last year) - there's lots of weed, so constantly got caught up in the spinner.

Always drove past on my way to Cringle & the signs were up to say it had been stocked - never stopped off for a cast this year though (still a few days left in the season)!

Have had a few trips this year to Clypse / Kerrowdoo & Baldwin, once up to Sulby - tend to prefer Cringle myself though - you have more space behind you here for fly fishing.

It's getting colder now & the fish don't seem to be feeding as much - certainly not rising so much as earlier in the season, bagged a few last weekend, but it's much harder work now.

I took up fly fishing again this year, not having done it since a teenager & must say I've probably been out 2-3 times, if not more and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Eairy has been stocked a few times this year - I've only tried fishing there once though (last year) - there's lots of weed, so constantly got caught up in the spinner.

Didn't know that, ta. Bought a full ressie license this year, and have been out once. Not great value for money!