Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Newsbot

[BBC News] Island fishermen face tough year

If the Government were to sink the Solway Harvester and a few more old boats about the islands prime fishing grounds it would make the raiders think twice before fishing the areas. Its worked in Canada and many other countries. Net ripers could also be placed on the sea bed, cheap and easy to place.

Apart from your spelling of "rippers", I think you have a very good point.

S

On Manx radio today more bollocks from Mr Gawne ! stating that to ban off Island fishing boats from Manx Territorial waters to protect the manx fishing community was a non-starter as it would be in breach of "Protocol 3" European law .

Tell that to the french who are operating a 3 mile exclusion around their coastline to protect thier fisheries ! Mr Gawne :)

Also we have about five ? fishing vessels in the Manx fleet that would want to fish inside U.k. waters , the vast majority prefer to fish their own waters

Majority rule?

The only way we can have controlled re-seeding/conservation in Manx Waters is to have control over our own 12mile limit.

Otherwise all these well meaning schemes that D.a.f.f. periodically try to implement are pointless!

A lot of people in the Manx fishing community had high hopes when Mr Gawne took the Job at Ag and Fish , unfortunately yet another banana seems to be ripening?

homarus - 'technically' Gawne is right about this - sort of. Manx Territorial waters are currently part of the UK Exclusive Fishery Zone (per Fishing Limits Act 1976 - see earlier post). As part of British Fishery Limits, EU vessels cannot be excluded any more than they can be from UK coastal waters.

However that's because the EFZ around IoM is claimed by the UK not IoM. IMO this could and should be challenged, and IoM should claim its own EFZ which would give IoM exclusive rights in these waters.

My guess is that Phil Gawne is being guided and taking advice in this by Whitehall via CSO and the Humphreys in his department. I imagine he's a bit out of his depth in all of this, and hasn't really got much of a clue beyond what he's told by the mandarins - who are servants of the Crown (of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).

Perhaps he should start asking some questions - like just exactly what gives the UK the right to claim what should be a Manx EFZ as its own? (splutter, Minister, really!, cough cough, hrumph, long historic... complex... really do we have to go into this... )

I totally agree with you skeddan !

But personally ! It's F***ing embarassing for me as a Manxman to have to listen to all the trivial crap coming out of D.A.F.F at the moment, regarding the european eel and the lack of songbirds in my back garden etc.etc,etc

When there are untold millions being taken out of Manx waters every year by U.K. fishing concerns.

I'd just love to see him address the issues and fight for the Interests of the Manx fishing community ,instead of sounding like just another U.K. controlled Puppet M.H.K. :(

From BBC news...

"The government is to end an arrangement that allows other countries to fish in UK waters, it has been announced. 

The convention allows Irish, Dutch, French, German and Belgian vessels to fish within six and twelve nautical miles of UK coastline.

Environment Secretary Michael Gove said the move would help take back control of fishing access to UK waters. 

The European Commission said it "took note" but felt the convention had been superceded by EU law."

So this could be good news, right? We can set our own quotas, making fishing around our coastline more competitive and sustainable. Is it a huge opportunity? 

Or is it a red-herring that will turn out to be a load of codswallop..?

We'll find out. It's fishing ,it's not a big part of any economy. 

1 hour ago, Tarne said:

We'll find out. It's fishing ,it's not a big part of any economy. 

Worth £775m in 2015. Foreign boats, £17m, according to the Grauniad.

Small fry then...

Though it's not just about the financial side.

5 minutes ago, quilp said:

Small fry then...

That's the UK economy not the Manx economy.

Good for Gove. About time too. Now if Boot kicks hard enough there is a good opportunity to snatch back control. I am sure it's been carefully planned and is part of the Manx Great Repeal bill.  Or is it?

3 minutes ago, war baby said:

Good for Gove. 

Is it? Or is it just a bit of  cheap meaningless symbolism? 

• Like 1

Surely the factory fleets will simply register UK or even IOM subsidiaries and carry on the same regardless.

Edited by pongo

14 hours ago, quilp said:

Small fry then...

its the 12 to 200 mile area which is worth billions to the eu....